Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I tried vegetarianism for a few months, to see what my daughter finds so appealing about it. I just ended up tired and craving steak! Not for me, I concluded.

    PB, can you please educate me some more? I've ordered a blood test kit for ketones, but I wondered when it's best to test? And how soon after eating something that takes me out of ketosis would it show up on the monitor? I'll need to do some experimenting to see what I can safely eat and stay in ketosis. Still feeling good - it's now officially a personal best record for no cravings, no IBS, and weight loss. I need a high five for that lot
    Started Feb 18 2011

    Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

    Journalling here

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Jac View Post
      PB, can you please educate me some more? I've ordered a blood test kit for ketones, but I wondered when it's best to test? And how soon after eating something that takes me out of ketosis would it show up on the monitor? I'll need to do some experimenting to see what I can safely eat and stay in ketosis. Still feeling good - it's now officially a personal best record for no cravings, no IBS, and weight loss. I need a high five for that lot
      Your level of blood ketones doesn't fluctuate as fast as blood sugar does. So it's not eating X food creates Y reading. I would suggest monitoring at a consistent time of day, much like weighing yourself. Say once in the morning and once before bed.

      Caveat: I've never used a blood keytone monitor, only the ketostix. From what I have read the blood monitors are much more accurate because, as your body becomes more adept at burning keytones, there are fewer being excreted. This causes some people using the ketostix to think it "stopped working".

      Also remember that overdoing the protein can knock you out of ketosis very easily no matter how diligently you count your carbs.

      i am so glad you are feeling better. High fives indeed!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Also remember that overdoing the protein can knock you out of ketosis very easily no matter how diligently you count your carbs
        Yeah, that's the bit that cheered me up, actually - overeating protein caused IBS symptoms to raise their ugly heads, so 'getting the OK' to eat less protein as well as fewer carbs was a selling point. I'm really enjoying this experiment so far, because the parameters are so different and there's some hope for managing mood as well. Just simply being told to 'increase protein', 'increase fat' and 'reduce carbs' to a certain point hasn't ever worked. "Do whatever you need to do to stay in ketosis" is a completely different way to measure what I'm doing.
        Started Feb 18 2011

        Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

        Journalling here

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jac View Post
          Yeah, that's the bit that cheered me up, actually - overeating protein caused IBS symptoms to raise their ugly heads, so 'getting the OK' to eat less protein as well as fewer carbs was a selling point. I'm really enjoying this experiment so far, because the parameters are so different and there's some hope for managing mood as well. Just simply being told to 'increase protein', 'increase fat' and 'reduce carbs' to a certain point hasn't ever worked. "Do whatever you need to do to stay in ketosis" is a completely different way to measure what I'm doing.
          I'm so glad you are going for this and making it work. I don't remember if I told you this already (if so, forgive me) but you might find the website, "The Eating Academy" run by Dr. Peter Attia to be useful. He is all about the ketosis and give some very good "troubleshooting" advice about getting and staying there long enough to reap the benefits.

          Comment


          • The special tonight at the Birdnest Casbah Cafe is Lamb chops in Moroccan chile butter and a side salad with bell peppers.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • Wow looks fabulous! I may have to drop by next time I'm in San Diego Ha ha! I'll bring some good wine down from Sonoma.
              Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

              https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

              Comment


              • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                Wow looks fabulous! I may have to drop by next time I'm in San Diego Ha ha! I'll bring some good wine down from Sonoma.
                I'll trade you some home cooking for some Sonoma wine any day. It's a date.

                Comment


                • Ok, This is the post-mortem on my street fair bender Saturday afternoon.
                  2 glasses of strawberry wine
                  1 honey-vodka with soda water
                  1 sampler platter of fried greasiness (small nibbles really) and I didn't eat dinner that evening
                  free samples of some fruit juice drinks and starbucks iced coffee (sweetened)

                  then 3 whole days of perfect eating to get back to 2 pounds off where we started on the August Challenge(pre-bender was 3.5 off)

                  I actually continued to gain weight for two days in a row after, Sunday and Monday.

                  Note to self: not worth it. File under "Learning Experiences".

                  Comment


                  • no, really, i had to record what the *kid* eats and most people are like "really? really!?" He's so solid in his build and so active, it's no wonder he is hungry!

                    i actually don't eat nearly as much as he does!

                    Comment


                    • PB, I really like liver pate, but I never made it myself. I saw your recipe, and I thought.... Perfect! I can make this!

                      And then I wondered... do you use chicken liver or beef liver?

                      Thanks!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        no, really, i had to record what the *kid* eats and most people are like "really? really!?" He's so solid in his build and so active, it's no wonder he is hungry! i actually don't eat nearly as much as he does!
                        Yeah, I got that. That was the collective non-specific primal person usage of the word "you" when I said you freak them out with what you eat, not you the individual. It must be wonderful to be a primal kid.

                        Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                        PB, I really like liver pate, but I never made it myself. I saw your recipe, and I thought.... Perfect! I can make this!
                        And then I wondered... do you use chicken liver or beef liver?
                        Thanks!
                        I have done chicken, cow, calf, and lamb liver and they all work. I'm not doing chicken any more since I'm not eating poultry any more due to their O3/O6 profile and their diet ("vegetarian fed" could mean soy). If I had my own chickens or could go to a farm and really know what was going on, then I might eat some but since I live in a big city and chicken is not my favorite anyway, I'd just as soon skip it.
                        Lamb liver is the best and calf is a close second. Both have a milder flavor than beef. Beef is good too but you need to take a little heavier hand with whatever spices you are using to balance out the stronger flavor.

                        Comment


                        • Tonight I made Fat Bread a la Richard on Free The Animal.

                          Photo on 2012-08-15 at 20.57 #2.jpg

                          It's mostly coconut manna, mac nuts and eggs. Serious amounts of calories and fat involved. Full breakdown in this thread : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html
                          Last edited by Paleobird; 08-15-2012, 10:59 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Hi Paleobird,

                            I just wanted to tell you that I think it's totally interesting that you're trying to control seizures through food and wish you the best of luck.

                            I dated an epileptic 30 some odd years ago. He took tegritol (sp?) and phenobarbitol. The poor guy was so often in a fog.

                            Again, good luck and best of health to you.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                            B*tch-lite

                            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              Hi Paleobird,
                              I just wanted to tell you that I think it's totally interesting that you're trying to control seizures through food and wish you the best of luck.
                              I dated an epileptic 30 some odd years ago. He took tegritol (sp?) and phenobarbitol. The poor guy was so often in a fog.
                              Again, good luck and best of health to you.
                              Thanks, Joanie.
                              Tegretol, urgh. Makes my head hurt just to think about it. That was the first medication I was ever given back in college. It was like the worst hangover you have ever had in your life but It. Never. Ends. Seizures were better than that so I chucked it completely.
                              Last edited by Paleobird; 08-15-2012, 11:54 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Fat Bread looks good. You are one heck of a cook PB.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                                Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X