• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
    ABSOLUTELY out of line!!
    Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
    Not cool, James.. Have some class.
    Thanks for the back up.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
    PB, we rescued 3 little pups 5 yrs ago this afternoon and I could write paragraphs on how much they've helped us get thru some very tough times. They actually rescued us. We are celebrating today with the usual kisses and hugs AND everyone gets a rib eye later on. The improvement in health that nursing homes and hospitals have when therapy animals are brought in is astounding.
    Awwwww. I feel like I am lucky to be my dog's human too. I've thought about getting him certified to take around to nursing homes as a therapy animal. He would be really good at it. The only thing is that he is a little too big to be "lap dog" size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      OK, James. You are a forum newcomer so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Coming after someone on THEIR journal is just NOT COOL. Got it?

Public forums are public. Doing that here is like coming into my home uninvited and starting in with your diatribe of the day.

I refused to play your game on the iodine thread so you track down my journal? So out of line.

Bugger off!
      Oh, AMEN!

PB, kudos - you are waaaaay more restrained about this than I would have been.
      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Awwwww. I feel like I am lucky to be my dog's human too. I've thought about getting him certified to take around to nursing homes as a therapy animal. He would be really good at it. The only thing is that he is a little too big to be "lap dog" size.
        Bigger dogs have their place as therapy dogs. I took my rescued Golden Retriever into the hospital when my husband was there, and Em and I visited other patients, too. Em is trained to put just his front paws up on the edge of a bed or chair arm to be petted. He is also excellent at putting his head on a sitting person's knee to be petted. The edge-of-the-bed and head-on-knee works great for people who are laying down and/or who can't take any sort of pressure on their laps/abdomens.

We may have rescued him (he's actually our 4th rescue) but I think he's rescued us, too! It's his picture that's my avatar.

Comment

• My 1st MDA food photo: Dinner.8.12.2012.jpg
          Dinner tonight was: Asian salad, w/ lightly cooked kale, raw orange bell peppers, scallion greens, tommy toe tomatoes marinated in rice vin & salt. Mixed green salad w/ arugula, loads of goat feta, heirloom tomato, balsamic & evoo, side of sauerkraut. Small grilled hamburger patty, reheated/left over from another evening. It was small since I had huge salmon portion for breakfast, & large ahi tuna chunks over my BAS for lunch...

Hey, my cat in California talks all the time, fetches balls or almost anything & follows me around the garden & into the street when I'd check the mailbox &/or sometimes would come w/ me when I took walks around my neighborhood. Abyssinian kitties do those things. Riley loves fish heads (salmon heads rule) & any organic meat of course. I miss her, being in Atlanta so long...
          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigi View Post
            Oh, AMEN!
            PB, kudos - you are waaaaay more restrained about this than I would have been.
            Thanks. Well, arguing with lunatics is pretty much a waste of time.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
            Bigger dogs have their place as therapy dogs. I took my rescued Golden Retriever into the hospital when my husband was there, and Em and I visited other patients, too. Em is trained to put just his front paws up on the edge of a bed or chair arm to be petted. He is also excellent at putting his head on a sitting person's knee to be petted. The edge-of-the-bed and head-on-knee works great for people who are laying down and/or who can't take any sort of pressure on their laps/abdomens.

We may have rescued him (he's actually our 4th rescue) but I think he's rescued us, too! It's his picture that's my avatar.
            Goldie is adorable. I don't understand why people insist on buying pure bred dogs from puppy mills when there are shelter dogs out there who need a home,

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
            My 1st MDA food photo: [ATTACH]8832[/ATTACH]
            Dinner tonight was: Asian salad, w/ lightly cooked kale, raw orange bell peppers, scallion greens, tommy toe tomatoes marinated in rice vin & salt. Mixed green salad w/ arugula, loads of goat feta, heirloom tomato, balsamic & evoo, side of sauerkraut. Small grilled hamburger patty, reheated/left over from another evening. It was small since I had huge salmon portion for breakfast, & large ahi tuna chunks over my BAS for lunch...

Hey, my cat in California talks all the time, fetches balls or almost anything & follows me around the garden & into the street when I'd check the mailbox &/or sometimes would come w/ me when I took walks around my neighborhood. Abyssinian kitties do those things. Riley loves fish heads (salmon heads rule) & any organic meat of course. I miss her, being in Atlanta so long...
            Nice salad. I've had cats that "talked" and ones that didn't. I think they are just like people. Individual personalities and quirks.

Comment

• i had perfect fried eggs and a mix of brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (the last two steamed, then tossed with sautéed sprouts and my usual honey-mustard) -- which was an awesome brekkie.

I'm not sure what's for dinner. I think venison sausage and more brussels sprouts. I love brussels sprouts!

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                i had perfect fried eggs and a mix of brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (the last two steamed, then tossed with sautéed sprouts and my usual honey-mustard) -- which was an awesome brekkie.

I'm not sure what's for dinner. I think venison sausage and more brussels sprouts. I love brussels sprouts!
                Funny. I made the wif steamed broccoli and microwaved eggs with butter for breakfast this morning. It looked good.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  i had perfect fried eggs and a mix of brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (the last two steamed, then tossed with sautéed sprouts and my usual honey-mustard) -- which was an awesome brekkie.

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                  Funny. I made the wif steamed broccoli and microwaved eggs with butter for breakfast this morning. It looked good.
                  I love brussels sprouts too. I think Primal makes us expand our definitions of "that which is breakfast food".

Comment

• Ya, breakfast is just another meal for us now. Not usually meat heavy, though our cast iron fry pan gets a workout.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• we are funny in that sometimes we have "breakfast" for dinner and sometimes dinner for breakfast (fish anyone?). But yes, veggies are a big part of our brekkies.

one of my favorite (non-primal) brekkies is grits and/or cream of wheat stirred into some beautiful, home made butternut squash (or pumpkin) soup that I like to make with various spices (sometimes french, sometimes spanish, sometimes thai, sometimes indian, etc). *so good*

Now i make the soup with bone broth and no grain. It's just soup. it's still good for breakfast, but when I added the cream of wheat and/or grits, it was something special. I think i would do that about 3-4 times a year. I did it a few months ago when we all had the flu. . . with quinoa. it was good.

Anyway. . .rambling. It's true that going primal has you rethinking things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                        sbhikes tells me that avocados are gathering in the street gutters and rolling down her neighbors' driveways... siiiiiiiigh....
                        I picked up 3 of them rolling in the street just the other day. I was sad that the biggest one had been run over by a car.

Originally posted by Paleobird
                        Yes avocados are pretty much a staple item here. I wish I had a tree like she does. Some of us still do have to buy ours.
                        A tree? We have 8 trees. Just thought I'd rub it in.

I was thinking of packing one of my US Wellness Meats boxes with avos and shipping it to a lady in Washington to feed the PCT hikers that come to her house. I don't think you're allowed to put avos in the mail, though.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Ya, breakfast is just another meal for us now. Not usually meat heavy, though our cast iron fry pan gets a workout.
                          I used to love brekkie but lately I find myself not getting hungry until noon so I'm just "going with it'". I end up having a small bite at noon like one of my tupperware cups of pate, then I am not so starving when I'm making dinner. It's easy to overdo portions when cooking while hungry.
                          I tried doing the Fast 5 thing but I found that watching the clock to see if I can eat yet on any particular schedule is just too cortisol inducing. I think I may have gotten to the point where I can actually do that mythical "listen to your body" thing. I end up with about a 6-7 hour eating window just by chance but it varies from day to day.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                          we are funny in that sometimes we have "breakfast" for dinner and sometimes dinner for breakfast (fish anyone?). But yes, veggies are a big part of our brekkies.

one of my favorite (non-primal) brekkies is grits and/or cream of wheat stirred into some beautiful, home made butternut squash (or pumpkin) soup that I like to make with various spices (sometimes french, sometimes spanish, sometimes thai, sometimes indian, etc). *so good*

Now i make the soup with bone broth and no grain. It's just soup. it's still good for breakfast, but when I added the cream of wheat and/or grits, it was something special. I think i would do that about 3-4 times a year. I did it a few months ago when we all had the flu. . . with quinoa. it was good.

Anyway. . .rambling. It's true that going primal has you rethinking things.
                          That soup sounds wonderful but I'll take mine without the grits please. I never liked grit or cream of wheat. Have you ever tried adding coconut manna for a little more creaminess and body?

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          I picked up 3 of them rolling in the street just the other day. I was sad that the biggest one had been run over by a car.
                          A tree? We have 8 trees. Just thought I'd rub it in.

I was thinking of packing one of my US Wellness Meats boxes with avos and shipping it to a lady in Washington to feed the PCT hikers that come to her house. I don't think you're allowed to put avos in the mail, though.
                          Yeah, Yeah. Rub it in.
                          Maybe you could peel the avos and pack it as guac in frozen containers to ship. I think the laws about shipping are about the fresh produce because they are paranoid about medfly transmission and all that.

Comment

• Ahhh, so jealous of the late summer conversations about produce. I'm excited that the cherry blossom trees are mostly out now here!
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• i like the gritty-ness of grits, which is why i liked it in soup and subbed it out for quinoa. but, you know, coconut shavings might do the trick to give that same feeling, and if i toast it, it would add extra nuttiness. hmm.

mostly, i just eat it like soup these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
                                Ahhh, so jealous of the late summer conversations about produce. I'm excited that the cherry blossom trees are mostly out now here!
                                Yes, California is the land of legal raw dairy and "extra" avocados rolling in the streets. Cherry blossoms are pretty. It doesn't really get cold enough here to grow cherries except up in the mountains.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                i like the gritty-ness of grits, which is why i liked it in soup and subbed it out for quinoa. but, you know, coconut shavings might do the trick to give that same feeling, and if i toast it, it would add extra nuttiness. hmm.

mostly, i just eat it like soup these days.
                                I am finding that a little coconut improves a lot of things, marinara sauce, soups, stock, coffee. It's funny, I seem to have phases about some foods. When I first started Primal I was eating coconut oil off a spoon. Then I went though a phase where the smell of it made me gag. Now I'm coo-koo for coconuts again. I wonder why this happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X