Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    hey Paleobird!

    I have been reading your journal without posting much, so this is my official phase-in to say hello. I like the bits about the service dog. I have been thinking of getting one for Third (my third daughter), but haven't found any place suitable yet. Either it is a place that will train dogs for non-traditional disabilities for a huge price, or it is a place that trains dogs for free but Third's disability set isn't included on their list of "we train for this...". Huh. I'll figure it all out eventually - I think you know how it is - your antennae are just permanently out when you have issues to deal with, and "service dog" is one of the terms I brake for.

    Just as a question - back when I was a veg, I would sometimes put myself inadvertently into what I think was a ketosis state through bad eating (way too many leafy greens - a great love of mine - very little fruit, some fat, and almost no protein, which was the faulty part of my diet) and hubby would know because he would complain about the breath. Do you expect to get that?

    We took the whole family to the Cleveland Zoo today, and saw the singing dogs, too - but alas, no singing. Everything at the zoo was kind of reallllly chilled out. Barely anything moved except the lorikeets and the moms/dads pushing/carrying wee ones. Highlight of the day - the bald eagle. I could have stayed there all day.
    What kind of disability does your daughter have? You don't have to have a service animal authorized or officially sanctioned by any agency. You can do the training yourself. The Wolf Cub doesn't have a diploma.

    Keto-breath is a transitional thing that goes along with carb flu. Once you get more adept at burning the ketones it goes away. I haven't had it since the first time I went low carb.

    I love zoos. The big black panther was flaked out in the shade when we came up. She evidently smelled dog and looked up but then let her head fall back to the ground like, "I could have you for a snack but it's just too hot. I can't be bothered."

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      What kind of disability does your daughter have? You don't have to have a service animal authorized or officially sanctioned by any agency. You can do the training yourself. The Wolf Cub doesn't have a diploma.
      Interesting. Being very well educated, I will just give you the full monty in terms Third's docs would use. She seems to have been born with a differently wired brain (according to the neurologist). MRI shows nothing but a little thinning of the corpus collosum, genetic testing is inconclusive. She has every processing problem in the book. The official diagnoses are: severe verbal apraxia, receptive-expressive language disorder, congenital benign hypotonia, dyspraxia (nearly global), sensory processing disorder, neurological visual impairment, and moderate cognitive disability. There is no catch-all diagnosis like autism or Down's that would explain everything in one fell swoop - I had to chase down each and every problem singly.

      We get around these by sending her to a special-needs-only school, wearing DAFO's, using adaptive tableware, supplying her with current programming on her AAC device, using sign language when necessary, feeding her the SCD diet (for GI issues), and going to regular PT, OT, ST, and vision therapy.

      Mostly - I am worried about her wandering off (which she loves to try to do) and not being able to communicate. She has no dysmorphic features, and is cute, and there are some sick bastards in this world... I have visions of her being tethered to an autism dog in public spaces. Such a dog is trained to keep their kids close by and some also have search trained into them. Third loves dogs to distraction, so I think it would be a good thing. I, however, have very little experience with dogs outside of some babysitting I used to do for a St. Bernard back in my high school days, and the little bit of babysitting I currently do for a shish-ka-dog (toy poodle) that belongs to the sister-in-law. Hence, my desire for somebody who knows dogs, and disabled kids, and how the two interact.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        James is indeed a piece of work. And you're right, there is no point in having a rational discussion with a crazy person. I signed off of that thread. Better things to do.
        I'm still keeping an open mind on that thread. James has a whole lot to say,and who knows, might be wrong on some things. But learning new things is still of value, and I'm interested in doing that.

        That minute steak looks pretty awesome. So jealous that avocadoes are in season for you right now. We're finding that in winter time we're not really missing leafy greens much, since we want yams and parsnips instead. But avocado never goes out of style it seems.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

        Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

        Comment


        • Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
          So jealous that avocadoes are in season for you right now. We're finding that in winter time we're not really missing leafy greens much, since we want yams and parsnips instead. But avocado never goes out of style it seems.
          sbhikes tells me that avocados are gathering in the street gutters and rolling down her neighbors' driveways... siiiiiiiigh....
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
            Interesting. Being very well educated, I will just give you the full monty in terms Third's docs would use. She seems to have been born with a differently wired brain (according to the neurologist). MRI shows nothing but a little thinning of the corpus collosum, genetic testing is inconclusive. She has every processing problem in the book. The official diagnoses are: severe verbal apraxia, receptive-expressive language disorder, congenital benign hypotonia, dyspraxia (nearly global), sensory processing disorder, neurological visual impairment, and moderate cognitive disability. There is no catch-all diagnosis like autism or Down's that would explain everything in one fell swoop - I had to chase down each and every problem singly.

            We get around these by sending her to a special-needs-only school, wearing DAFO's, using adaptive tableware, supplying her with current programming on her AAC device, using sign language when necessary, feeding her the SCD diet (for GI issues), and going to regular PT, OT, ST, and vision therapy.

            Mostly - I am worried about her wandering off (which she loves to try to do) and not being able to communicate. She has no dysmorphic features, and is cute, and there are some sick bastards in this world... I have visions of her being tethered to an autism dog in public spaces. Such a dog is trained to keep their kids close by and some also have search trained into them. Third loves dogs to distraction, so I think it would be a good thing. I, however, have very little experience with dogs outside of some babysitting I used to do for a St. Bernard back in my high school days, and the little bit of babysitting I currently do for a shish-ka-dog (toy poodle) that belongs to the sister-in-law. Hence, my desire for somebody who knows dogs, and disabled kids, and how the two interact.
            Yes, that does sound like a challenging set of circumstances. I think you're right though that a dog with training for an autistic child might be the closest thing to your daughter's needs (even if that isn't the real diagnosis) if you don't want to do the training yourself. Or you could hire a trainer to train specifically to your daughters needs.

            Under the Americans With Disabilities Act, if you say it is a service dog, it is a service dog. You can not be forced to produce any special papers, certificates, etc. Something you might want to look up however. There is a specific list of disabilities covered by the ADA. You need to check that your daughter's condition is included. This is difficult since, as you said it is a collection of problems not one single diagnosis.

            Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            I'm still keeping an open mind on that thread. James has a whole lot to say,and who knows, might be wrong on some things. But learning new things is still of value, and I'm interested in doing that.

            That minute steak looks pretty awesome. So jealous that avocadoes are in season for you right now. We're finding that in winter time we're not really missing leafy greens much, since we want yams and parsnips instead. But avocado never goes out of style it seems.
            James is very right about some things and very wrong about others but he says everything authoritatively. He obviously has enough medical background to be able to pepper his post with impressive sounding medical terminology.

            I get the impression however, that he is an older gentleman and that a lot of his information is not so much wrong as it is outdated. The things he says about chemo might have been true for the older generation of drugs that were much more destructive and much less targeted.

            His ideas about HIV and AIDS, however, rank right along with the web sites saying that 9/11 was a government plot and the moon landings never happened. Just flat out nonsense.

            Debating if they are or aren't out to get you with a paranoid person is pretty pointless.
            I get so tired of all the doctor bashing around here. Yes, there are CW idiots. If you have one of those find another one. But all the money grubbing evil doctor stuff really gets old.

            My doctors actually care about me. What a bold new concept! They want me to be healthy and are completely supportive of the PB. They are actively taking both me and my Dad OFF of meds. And they work for a big HMO. Sorry if that messes with someones tinfoil hat preconceptions, but that is modern day reality.

            Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
            sbhikes tells me that avocados are gathering in the street gutters and rolling down her neighbors' driveways... siiiiiiiigh....
            Yes avocados are pretty much a staple item here. I wish I had a tree like she does. Some of us still do have to buy ours.

            Comment


            • I think it can be hard to find a doctor whom you trust, and in our case, we had to go outside of our insurance network to find him. Well, when we lived in the US. Here, we have connections with the anthroposophical doctor but he's just not as cool as our old one and insurance isn't an issue.

              The only concern that he has is that in anthroposophy grains are very important. All foods have all kinds of symbology and spiritual hoo-ha and so not eating grains is like, you know, saying that Jesus isn't god or something to a catholic. Nevertheless, he also notes that DS is stupidly healthy and "off the charts in every way imaginable" and he can't argue with that. DH and I are also healthy, and if we are avoiding the Oh Sacred Grains, then so be it. lol

              to crabcakes --

              in re: working dogs -- it's cool stuff. I would probably look into the places that would train for autism, and then see if the specialist training could be done separately after the fact as needed by the specialist trainers. KWIM? Like, the affordable trainers do the starter or foundational work (which may be enough), and then if you need more, you can see if there's a way to get more down the track that's even more specific (or discover that you can do it yourself).

              breed choice might be really important, too. idk, though. lots of breeds of dogs make good working animals. The social needs of certain kinds of hounds might be difficult, or it might be perfect. My friend has a beautiful dog -- a kind of hound -- and he's about the size of a small horse. Great gentle giant though. it would definitely keep people off.

              Also, my friend's working dog always wore a "coat" that said "working dog, do not disrupt" on it -- but that might make your daughter more vulnerable rather than less. (idk, crazies are crazy).

              Comment


              • A couple of days late, but thanks for the reply PB . I'm just finishing day 4 of low carb, and am feeling fine. I'd only planned to do 3 days to reset my appetite, but now I think I'll keep going. I'll order some ketostix and try tracking the associations between ketosis, weight and food intake. I'm relieved by how easy it's been to drop my carbs, and also reminded that eating this way means I am almost completely symptom free from the IBS. Long may it last! Thanks.
                Started Feb 18 2011

                Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                Journalling here

                Comment


                • Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
                  There seem to be many "doctors" over there on those threads. The iodine thread has yet again jumped the shark. Dr James and his premise that AIDS is caused by HHV-6 is so ridiculous I can't even...if I had more time to sit at my laptop instead of write replies on my smart phone, I would school him in some basic biochemistry and virology.
                  Apparently not since you clearly don't know that unlike HIV, HHV6-A can collapse the immune system by destroying not only CD4 cells but also T-killer and B cells. Simply destroying CD4 cells alone does not collapse the immune system since the CD4s do not govern all other white blood cells. This is why we use to see AIDS patients with zero to close to zero CD4s that were otherwise perfectly healthy. Like Paleobird you need to spend less time posting personal attacks and spend more time doing some actual research on the subject.

                  Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
                  But usually people like these "doctors" are so wrapped up in their "theories", it's not worth arguing.
                  If you knew anything about science as you imply then you would know that theories are hypotheses backed by evidence!!! Therefore, by giving credence to the fact that my statements are theories, unlike your hypotheses, you are in turn verifying that you know my claims are backed by real evidence.

                  Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
                  Speaking of which, Paleobird, I read your comments there and kudos to you for standing up to such craziness. But it is craziness, and one can't engage with these people. I sent a snip-it to my former colleague still working at MIT, and we had a virtual face palm over those conversations. I worry about individuals that are vulnerable and willing to fall for anything, like overdosing on iodine or believing HIV doesn't exist.
                  Who claimed that HIV does not exist? It appears that several people on these forums have some real reading and comprehension problems. I, nor anyone else I have seen on these forums has claimed that HIV does not exist. There is a humongous difference between stating the fact that HIV cannot cause AIDS under the original definition and that HIV does not exist. In fact my statement clearly shows that I believe HIV exists. And you want to school me?!!! NO THANKS!!!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    James is indeed a piece of work. And you're right, there is no point in having a rational discussion with a crazy person. I signed off of that thread. Better things to do.
                    Just because you do not have a high enough IQ to understand such simple concepts does not make me crazy. The fact that you have only been able to respond over and over with personal insults instead of evidence to the contrary just goes to prove that you cannot refute my claims. Of course you cannot refute what has been proven by science.

                    Oh that's right, you implied that science and medical journal research is "cuckoo stuff". Then you tap danced around my question as to where you get your medical information from since you consider real research "cuckoo stuff".

                    And you state you don't have time to discuss soy that you claim is evil, but you have more than plenty of time to repeatedly post personal insults against every person who proves your claims bogus with that real research. So it is clear why you really signed off on that thread. You were tired of being exposed as a complete fraud who can only respond with personal attacks since you clearly don't know how to do real research and present real evidence.

                    I have been posting plenty of evidence to back up my claims from the medical journals and other credible sources. So what makes you feel that you are the only person with answers and that all the medical journal research must be bogus because it conflicts with your bogus beliefs? Again, I asked you where you get your medical information since you consider science and medical journal research to be "cuckoo stuff" and you conveniently tip toed around the question. So what is the answer Paleobird? Where do you get your medical information to claim every one else but you is wrong since you clearly do not rely on science or medical research published in journals? I am certain I am not the only one wondering what the answer to this question is.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      James is very right about some things and very wrong about others but he says everything authoritatively. He obviously has enough medical background to be able to pepper his post with impressive sounding medical terminology.
                      What have I been wrong on and where is your evidence to prove me wrong? Every time someone posts something that you disagree with you make some type of reference to them being a nutcase or resort to a barrage of other personal attacks, but I have yet to see you post even a single shred of evidence to prove any claim wrong. Do you even understand how this makes you appear mentally? So if I were you I would be careful about calling others crazy and nutcases!

                      And as far as my medical background it is a lot more extensive than you can ever imagine.

                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I get the impression however, that he is an older gentleman and that a lot of his information is not so much wrong as it is outdated. The things he says about chemo might have been true for the older generation of drugs that were much more destructive and much less targeted.
                      Again you assume rather than rely on facts. First of all I am not as old as you may think. I actually started in medicine at a very early age.

                      And once again you show your complete ignorance of chemotherapy drugs. Most of the chemotherapy drugs that are still in use to this day were in use when I was working in oncology. Secondly, as part of what I do for a living I have to constantly do major research from medical journals so I stay on top of these things. In fact, if you do a little simple research you will find that the problems with "today's" chemotherapy drugs are the same as the ones from decades ago.

                      Anyone can claim someone else is wrong as you keep doing, but it does not make it true. But when they keep doing this but never provide any evidence to prove the person is wrong it just goes to prove that the person has no clue what they are talking about. If debating a subject the best way to shut up your opponent is to provide irrefutable evidence that proves your point and proves your opponent wrong. This is what happened on the iodine thread. Paleobird kept claiming I was wrong without providing any evidence since she had none. I presented overwhelming evidence she was wrong and therefore she knew she could not refute so she ran with her tail tucked between her legs and started with the personal attacks here instead thinking I would not see them.

                      And the more she posts personal attacks instead of evidence to the contrary the more she makes herself appear as a raving lunatic. After all look at the irony of her bashing conspiracy theorists who post evidence to back their claims. That is they are called theories, not hypotheses. On the other hand she is not able or willing to post evidence against all those people she thinks are out to get her with scientific evidence that in her words is "cuckoo stuff"!

                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      His ideas about HIV and AIDS, however, rank right along with the web sites saying that 9/11 was a government plot and the moon landings never happened. Just flat out nonsense.
                      And again, I posted overwhelming evidence from medical journals and other credible sources to back my claims. And you have yet to provide even one shred of evidence to refute even one thing I have said. Why is that? Because you don't understand enough about medicine to even understand what was being said or because you already know you are 100% wrong? A normal person will provide evidence to back their claims.

                      [QUOTE=Paleobird;926304]Debating if they are or aren't out to get you with a paranoid person is pretty pointless.

                      No, I don't think debating with you is pointless at all. I, nor anyone else I see is out to get you. We are all just trying to help educate you since clearly you have no understanding of even basic medical concepts.

                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I get so tired of all the doctor bashing around here. Yes, there are CW idiots. If you have one of those find another one. But all the money grubbing evil doctor stuff really gets old.
                      So does your constant personal attacks and hypocriscy that seethes out of nearly all of your posts. And even though numerous people have told you the same thing it has not stopped you yet or even slowed you down.

                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      My doctors actually care about me. What a bold new concept! They want me to be healthy and are completely supportive of the PB. They are actively taking both me and my Dad OFF of meds. And they work for a big HMO. Sorry if that messes with someones tinfoil hat preconceptions, but that is modern day reality.
                      Not at all. The only kind of person who would believe that especially after having this explained to them earlier would be a paranoid person who thinks all the conspiracy theorists are out to get them.

                      Comment


                      • OK, James. You are a forum newcomer so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Coming after someone on THEIR journal is just NOT COOL. Got it?

                        Public forums are public. Doing that here is like coming into my home uninvited and starting in with your diatribe of the day.

                        I refused to play your game on the iodine thread so you track down my journal? So out of line.

                        Bugger off!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                          to crabcakes --
                          in re: working dogs -- it's cool stuff. I would probably look into the places that would train for autism, and then see if the specialist training could be done separately after the fact as needed by the specialist trainers. KWIM? Like, the affordable trainers do the starter or foundational work (which may be enough), and then if you need more, you can see if there's a way to get more down the track that's even more specific (or discover that you can do it yourself).

                          breed choice might be really important, too. idk, though. lots of breeds of dogs make good working animals. The social needs of certain kinds of hounds might be difficult, or it might be perfect. My friend has a beautiful dog -- a kind of hound -- and he's about the size of a small horse. Great gentle giant though. it would definitely keep people off.

                          Also, my friend's working dog always wore a "coat" that said "working dog, do not disrupt" on it -- but that might make your daughter more vulnerable rather than less. (idk, crazies are crazy).
                          Very sound advice about training. The breeds that tend to be the best at this are the ones that have traditionally been used as herders such as shepherds and collies. They instinctively want to protect their lambs. And the working dog coats, badges etc. are all available on the net. I would hate to have someone who really doesn't have a disability buy them and fake this to get their hound into places but I wouldn't doubt that it happens.

                          Originally posted by Jac View Post
                          A couple of days late, but thanks for the reply PB . I'm just finishing day 4 of low carb, and am feeling fine. I'd only planned to do 3 days to reset my appetite, but now I think I'll keep going. I'll order some ketostix and try tracking the associations between ketosis, weight and food intake. I'm relieved by how easy it's been to drop my carbs, and also reminded that eating this way means I am almost completely symptom free from the IBS. Long may it last! Thanks.
                          Yay, Jac! IBS has met it's match!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            OK, James. You are a forum newcomer so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Coming after someone on THEIR journal is just NOT COOL. Got it?

                            Public forums are public. Doing that here is like coming into my home uninvited and starting in with your diatribe of the day.

                            I refused to play your game on the iodine thread so you track down my journal? So out of line.

                            Bugger off!
                            ABSOLUTELY out of line!!
                            Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

                            Comment


                            • Not cool, James.. Have some class.

                              Comment


                              • PB, we rescued 3 little pups 5 yrs ago this afternoon and I could write paragraphs on how much they've helped us get thru some very tough times. They actually rescued us. We are celebrating today with the usual kisses and hugs AND everyone gets a rib eye later on. The improvement in health that nursing homes and hospitals have when therapy animals are brought in is astounding.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X