Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    The Wolf Cub and I went to the zoo today. I have a membership so I can go whenever I want and not feel like I have to see the whole thing in one day. The San Diego Zoo is a big place. Plus we walked there and back so we got our exercise in for the day. The Wolf Cub is now lying on his side panting under the ceiling fan.

There is one animal called the "singing dogs of New Guinea" and they really do sing. They look like a regular medium size generic tan dog but they have the ability to modulate their vocalization so it sounds like singing. The thing is , my dog does that too. The New Guinea guys and my dog were having a conversation through the fence. People were staring and recording it. It really sounded like they were having a chat. It wasn't aggressive or anything it was more like, "Hey, how ya doing? Do you think you could break us out of here?"
    That is so cool.. It's why, tho, I can't go to zoos or even shelters; I want to break them all out and bring them home with me.

Comment

• Cool about your dog! One of our Golden Retrievers (the one we got from the rescue people) also sings. He accompanies hubby when he plays his saxophone. He can modulate his voice, too, and even gets in that raspy lounge-singer tone. When hubby was in the hospital (collision with a deer), they let me bring the dog to visit! Everyone loved petting him!

It's nice they let you bring a dog into the zoo, I'm surprised at that, also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
        I'm amazed you can take your dog to the zoo!!
        My dog is officially a medical alert service dog. He knows when I am going to have a seizure before I do and alerts me. Kinda cool. That gets him into anywhere a seeing eye dog for a blind person would be allowed.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
        That is so cool.. It's why, tho, I can't go to zoos or even shelters; I want to break them all out and bring them home with me.
        I so wanted to take those two singing dogs home. I could have three part harmony going on.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
        Cool about your dog! One of our Golden Retrievers (the one we got from the rescue people) also sings. He accompanies hubby when he plays his saxophone. He can modulate his voice, too, and even gets in that raspy lounge-singer tone. When hubby was in the hospital (collision with a deer), they let me bring the dog to visit! Everyone loved petting him!

It's nice they let you bring a dog into the zoo, I'm surprised at that, also.
        That's too funny. The Wolf Cub got lots of attention today. I think some of the little kids thought he was more interesting than the leopards and panthers and pandas (who were just lying there snoozing in the heat).
        Last edited by Paleobird; 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• I just realized that I totally forgot to take a picture of dinner. I was HUNGRY.

So, just visualize two succulent grass fed beef filets sauteed to medium rare in chile infused butter with a side of green beans. That was it.

Comment

• sounds like great progress for august!

i've opted that it's ok to post here now and again, so long as I'm containing myself, and I am. Also, not much to comment on anyway. But i have used my time to read your journal.

work is going excellent. australia was great (and profitable!); work itself is chugging along and starting to decrease (because I'm getting things done).

waist and other measurements are the same, which is awesome, and I can't wait to start skating again in October! yay!

your walk to the zoo (and around) sounds awesome. we're doing DS's birthday at the zoo this year with 3 friends (and their moms). My friend is making the cake, and then i'm bringing fruit/dip and then veggies/dip. Should be lots of fun.

he's getting bow/arrows for his birthday (plus a case to lock them into) -- and then our friend (well, to be sure, the post man who delivers our packages, Rua (roo-Uh)) told us about the archery club just down the way. they said that DS has the right equipment (though they usually provide started equipment), and they meet on sundays for lessons. That's cool, but runs into parkour time. Luckily, we only do the parkour lesson 1x month, so that leaves 3 for archery. We have our daily parkour practice, and DS does a "free run" at the park basically on his own. well, i mean, we are there supervising, but not necessarily doing the run ourselves.

Comment

• Hi Zoe,
              Yes, and posting here is lots less aggravating than long debates with the demented "dr anna". Although the rest of us always loved reading your rational and well researched posts, I'm sure that kind of thing must be time consuming. Pesky little thing called having a life gets in the way.

I'm glad you are well. Sounds like DS is being trained well to take his place in the Primal HG tribe. Archery is definitely a skill that could come in handy if civilization were without power for a while. Ever since the bushmen in Africa taught me how to shoot a bow, I have thought about taking that up as a pastime.

Comment

• Dr Anna? Or Dr "Insulin never got anybody fat" Taco?

Your meals look so delicious. I'm finding staying low carb has helped me keep the weight off that I lost on my vacation. I'm so happy. I did have to struggle a little bit to get back into low carb. Last Tuesday I was feeling really quite weak and tired. But I made it to the other side and feel a lot better. Now my big conundrum is I bought some strange bananas at the Asian market and really wanted to try them out but now I'm not so sure I want to undo the adjustment period I went through.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  Dr Anna? Or Dr "Insulin never got anybody fat" Taco?

There seem to be many "doctors" over there on those threads. The iodine thread has yet again jumped the shark. Dr James and his premise that AIDS is caused by HHV-6 is so ridiculous I can't even...if I had more time to sit at my laptop instead of write replies on my smart phone, I would school him in some basic biochemistry and virology. But usually people like these "doctors" are so wrapped up in their "theories", it's not worth arguing.

Speaking of which, Paleobird, I read your comments there and kudos to you for standing up to such craziness. But it is craziness, and one can't engage with these people. I sent a snip-it to my former colleague still working at MIT, and we had a virtual face palm over those conversations. I worry about individuals that are vulnerable and willing to fall for anything, like overdosing on iodine or believing HIV doesn't exist.

Sigh.

I loved your description of your wolf cub conversing at the zoo. What breed is your dog?
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Dr Anna? Or Dr "Insulin never got anybody fat" Taco?

Your meals look so delicious. I'm finding staying low carb has helped me keep the weight off that I lost on my vacation. I'm so happy. I did have to struggle a little bit to get back into low carb. Last Tuesday I was feeling really quite weak and tired. But I made it to the other side and feel a lot better. Now my big conundrum is I bought some strange bananas at the Asian market and really wanted to try them out but now I'm not so sure I want to undo the adjustment period I went through.
                    "Dr" anna was that whack job on the circumcision thread. Certifiable. Chaco and I have been duking it out for ages. It's almost like a game with us. I actually think he's a sweet kid but he flits from one extreme thing to the next, each time evangelizing about it as if it were the One True Path. The reason I like Chaco is that he reminds me of myself at that age. He definitely needs to work on the not generalizing one healthy fit young male's experience to the whole human race.

Low carb rocks!!!! 3.5 pounds down in 10 days. And I don't think this is "water weight" since I was already fairly low carb and totally Primal so this is not a big transition plus it has been steady progression by half pound increments.

Some asian bananas are really starchy (not sure about the kind you got). The folks in Vanuatu make this stuff called lap-lap which is these kind of bananas mixed with coconut and then wrapped in a leaf and cooked over a fire. The result is this gelatinous grey glop with absolutely no flavor.

Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
                    There seem to be many "doctors" over there on those threads. The iodine thread has yet again jumped the shark. Dr James and his premise that AIDS is caused by HHV-6 is so ridiculous I can't even...if I had more time to sit at my laptop instead of write replies on my smart phone, I would school him in some basic biochemistry and virology. But usually people like these "doctors" are so wrapped up in their "theories", it's not worth arguing.

Speaking of which, Paleobird, I read your comments there and kudos to you for standing up to such craziness. But it is craziness, and one can't engage with these people. I sent a snip-it to my former colleague still working at MIT, and we had a virtual face palm over those conversations. I worry about individuals that are vulnerable and willing to fall for anything, like overdosing on iodine or believing HIV doesn't exist.

Sigh.

I loved your description of your wolf cub conversing at the zoo. What breed is your dog?
                    James is indeed a piece of work. And you're right, there is no point in having a rational discussion with a crazy person. I signed off of that thread. Better things to do.

The Wolf Cub is a rescue mutt from Baja California so I have no idea what breed he is. I refer to him as my Pure Bred Mexican Street Mutt. A lot of the feral dogs down there are interbred with coyotes so he may be part that and part quien sabe?

Comment

• Aww! Wolf Cub sounds like our Dingo-dog. She's part Australian cattle dog, part Border Collie, some Labrador thrown in, a lot of energy and chattiness and hefty parts of "I want to herd you", but she looks like a black Dingo.

Yup, just gotta let go of those sorts of threads. If you want to read something awesome about the future of science and cancer research:

17-year-old girl builds artificial ‘brain’ to detect breast cancer - Future of Tech on NBCNews.com

Young girls + STEM education = awesome. It totally made my day.
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

• Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
                        Aww! Wolf Cub sounds like our Dingo-dog. She's part Australian cattle dog, part Border Collie, some Labrador thrown in, a lot of energy and chattiness and hefty parts of "I want to herd you", but she looks like a black Dingo.

Yup, just gotta let go of those sorts of threads. If you want to read something awesome about the future of science and cancer research:
                        17-year-old girl builds artificial ‘brain’ to detect breast cancer - Future of Tech on NBCNews.com
                        Young girls + STEM education = awesome. It totally made my day.
                        That was an awesome article. Thanks for posting that. I love to see young women knocking down the old stereotypes of "girls aren't good at math and science".

Comment

• Today was day 11 of the Challenge.

Another .5 lb gone. That makes 3.5 so far. Whoot!

I just made what is quite possibly the best marinara sauce in human history. My neighbors have a very bountiful garden and keep planting more than they can possibly use then unloading the extras on me. Today I got a big bag of tomatoes that were still warm from the sun and a huge bunch of fresh basil. I had been planning on meatballs anyway but with the store bought sauce. This was way better. Tomatoes, basil, olives, feta, onion, garlic, pepper, and coconut manna. Oh, the yumminess.

So I have no idea about my calories and such for the day. If I use the store sauce jar as a general guide, I came out about right.

This was a total rest up day as far as any exercise. I think it's a good thing to have at least one of those in a week. Even the dog thought it was a good day to just chill out of the sun.

Comment

• Hi Paleobird, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on my no-carb-flu question; appreciate it. Oddly, I used to be a tremendous carb addict but gradually improved in that area with a lot of self-discipline in the year prior to learning about primal. I have to say it is very easy to avoid carb pig-outs if I just eat enough good fats.

Your marinara sauce description is making me hungry though.
                            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Comment

• hey Paleobird!

I have been reading your journal without posting much, so this is my official phase-in to say hello. I like the bits about the service dog. I have been thinking of getting one for Third (my third daughter), but haven't found any place suitable yet. Either it is a place that will train dogs for non-traditional disabilities for a huge price, or it is a place that trains dogs for free but Third's disability set isn't included on their list of "we train for this...". Huh. I'll figure it all out eventually - I think you know how it is - your antennae are just permanently out when you have issues to deal with, and "service dog" is one of the terms I brake for.

Just as a question - back when I was a veg, I would sometimes put myself inadvertently into what I think was a ketosis state through bad eating (way too many leafy greens - a great love of mine - very little fruit, some fat, and almost no protein, which was the faulty part of my diet) and hubby would know because he would complain about the breath. Do you expect to get that?

We took the whole family to the Cleveland Zoo today, and saw the singing dogs, too - but alas, no singing. Everything at the zoo was kind of reallllly chilled out. Barely anything moved except the lorikeets and the moms/dads pushing/carrying wee ones. Highlight of the day - the bald eagle. I could have stayed there all day.
                              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrenwood View Post
                                Hi Paleobird, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on my no-carb-flu question; appreciate it. Oddly, I used to be a tremendous carb addict but gradually improved in that area with a lot of self-discipline in the year prior to learning about primal. I have to say it is very easy to avoid carb pig-outs if I just eat enough good fats.

Your marinara sauce description is making me hungry though.
                                I went low carb before finding primal too. That may have eased the transition.

Coconut manna is a great way to get extra fat into things. And I have a whole big mason jar of the sauce left over for several more meals.

I like my neighbors.

Dad and I have helped out with their garden in a lot of ways. They are a young couple with a little kid and my Dad kind of likes being honorary grandpa to the kid and mentor to the dad. My Dad donated a lot of tools to the gardening effort, things that were just gathering dust in his workshop but that would have been pretty expensive for that couple just starting out to stock up on.

I helped get the planting beds set up. Its a series of terraces that goes up a hillside so there are little retaining walls keeping everything together.

So, we have been given free run of the garden to pick any time we want.

Comment

Working...
                                X