Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    I highly recommend this book for getting started with offal :Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

But mostly I don't cook from recipes at all. I just sort of stir in a bit of this, a little of that, and a pinch of something else, stir, taste, adjust if needed.

Best pate ever (great way to work liver into your world)

2lbs liver sliced
    cook in 1 stick of butter
    season while cooking (I like garlic, Italian herbs, s&p)
    put the whole mess into the blender (or use hand blender) adding 1 cup heavy cream
    blend the living daylights out of it 'til really smooth

put in tupperware cups and chill

I sometimes add in other stuff like mushrooms, onions, capers, a splash of sherry while cooking, etc. but I have been finding that this recipe keeps getting better the more I simplify it.
    Jen McLagan's books *rock*. Who can't love a cookbook called "FAT"?

BTW, how much is a "stick" of butter in the US? Because if you were to add an AU stick of butter, man that's a helluva lot of fat.

Seriously, I've been meaning to try your pate for ages. I need to git sum livva inna me!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• First, please forgive my inability to "sift" again thru the whole thread. I know the answer is in there, I saw it, but ...... anyway, a quick post would be appreciated

What ratios of protein/carbs/fat are you currently on and what total calories - I'm just investigating my options and your thread is one of the best articulated IMO.

I am currently about 1200 cals, 40% protein and 30% each fats and carbs. I plan to increase lean protein and diminish carbs - just a bit (I found low carbs - for me - led to depression..... which is a baaaaaad place to be whether you're losing/gaining/staying the same. Weird, but it happened consistently so I plan to avoid that this time).

I am in search of consistent healthy weight loss and prepped for some self-discipline Advice welcome.

Thanks and sorry again for being a bit lazy.
      Last edited by denise; 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling mainly

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
        Hi Robin - I don't get here nearly as often lately, so I'm laaate in offering my congrats on your story! Well done - it wasn't only a story, but an analysis as well. I found it really useful as well as inspiring . Loving the food p0rn, too. I'm more of a 'slap it on the plate' person, but am earnestly seeking salvation. Probably should get some plates that aren't chipped, for a start .
        Hi Jac. Thank you. Good to see you. I hope the new grandbabies are well.

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
        Jen McLagan's books *rock*. Who can't love a cookbook called "FAT"?

BTW, how much is a "stick" of butter in the US? Because if you were to add an AU stick of butter, man that's a helluva lot of fat.

Seriously, I've been meaning to try your pate for ages. I need to git sum livva inna me!
        A US "stick" of butter is usually 8 tbs. Do you every buy Kerrygold? It would be one of those bricks cut lenghthwise, about 115 grams. But the amount of butter in the recipe doesn't have to be exact. Err on the side of more butter when making pate.

Originally posted by denise View Post
        First, please forgive my inability to "sift" again thru the whole thread. I know the answer is in there, I saw it, but ...... anyway, a quick post would be appreciated

What ratios of protein/carbs/fat are you currently on and what total calories - I'm just investigating my options and your thread is one of the best articulated IMO.

I am currently about 1200 cals, 40% protein and 30% each fats and carbs. I plan to increase lean protein and diminish carbs - just a bit (I found low carbs - for me - led to depression..... which is a baaaaaad place to be whether you're losing/gaining/staying the same. Weird, but it happened consistently so I plan to avoid that this time).

I am in search of consistent healthy weight loss and prepped for some self-discipline Advice welcome.
        Thanks and sorry again for being a bit lazy.
        Ketogenic ratios push the fat higher and the carbs lower. I figured my ratios out for 1200 calories and that would be 64%fat/6% carb/30%protein Which translates into 84.5g fat/90g pro/ 18g carb. The past few days I have not been making it down quite that low on the carb but still staying around 25-30.

The main reason people feel crappy while in ketosis is because they are never really in it fully, always just bouncing along the edge in perpetual carb flu land. If you don't feel like it is right for you due to other issues then don't even go there but, if you are going there, gotta go for it.

There is a Dr. Peter Attia who has a site called the Eating Academy which I find very useful.

I wish you well.

Comment

• Right, thank you for the very prompt response!
          I think thats too low carb for me for the reasons I mentioned - shame, but you have to know yourself and abide by what's right for you, don't you
          I guess I will simply "play" with lowering carbs a bit, increasing fat a bit and keeping protein sort of where it is. Interesting anyway.

Comment

• I had the same butter issue because butter here is usually sold in a 454g brick (so 1 pound of butter). A stick of butter is 1/4 pound (or 1/2 cup), so as PB said, about 115g.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I checked out the book Odd Bits on amazon. There's a list of recipes plus an example recipe that's really complicated. I tend not to want to follow recipes with lots of fancy ingredients or complicated steps. Does this book tell you anywhere just the simple processes to cook the odd bits or does it just have a lot of complicated recipes? In other words, I would rather like to know what parts of the odd bit I need to cut off and what cooking style is best (slow, quick sear, okay to eat rare, best marinated etc), not just have a full-fledged recipe.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by denise View Post
                Right, thank you for the very prompt response!
                I think thats too low carb for me for the reasons I mentioned - shame, but you have to know yourself and abide by what's right for you, don't you
                I guess I will simply "play" with lowering carbs a bit, increasing fat a bit and keeping protein sort of where it is. Interesting anyway.
                Yes you do. I hope that helps you.

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                I had the same butter issue because butter here is usually sold in a 454g brick (so 1 pound of butter). A stick of butter is 1/4 pound (or 1/2 cup), so as PB said, about 115g.
                I wish the US would just hurry up already and catch up with the rest of the civilized world by going metric. It would make everything easier.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                I checked out the book Odd Bits on amazon. There's a list of recipes plus an example recipe that's really complicated. I tend not to want to follow recipes with lots of fancy ingredients or complicated steps. Does this book tell you anywhere just the simple processes to cook the odd bits or does it just have a lot of complicated recipes? In other words, I would rather like to know what parts of the odd bit I need to cut off and what cooking style is best (slow, quick sear, okay to eat rare, best marinated etc), not just have a full-fledged recipe.
                That book has all that info too, like how to prep a kidney. Plus some fancy and a lot of pretty straightforward recipes.

Comment

• If you are looking for a cookbook with easy to follow recipes check out The Food Lover's Make it Paleo. I know Mark has posted from it, he wrote the forward! They have the recipes online so you can give it a test drive. So far we love what I have made so far. The ingredients are all easy to find and the directions are simple and straight forward.

www.http://beta.primal-palate.com/
                  I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                  HT: 5'7"
                  SW: 223 June 2012
                  CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                  TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Comment

• Thanks! From their website, I searched for prawns, nothing came back. Shrimp search revealed loads of recipes. Was planning on having shrimp stir fry tonight (actually thawed both local prawns & some wild scallops too). Surprisingly, the Paleo site lists sesame oil (which I recently bought some, date stamped, high quality). Funny...
                    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Thanks very much for the cookbook recommendation and the liver pate recipe. I might just try that. I use recipes more as a general guideline except of course for baking which I no longer do. But if the contents are unfamiliar ... somewhere among my books I have a cookbook from the 1940s - I'll bet it has some offal prep tips and recipes too (not to mention some awful ones).
                      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Comment

• If you can get your hands on an old Joy of Cooking, there are instructions on how to cook offal in there. Also, some recipes for cooking things like possum and squirrel, should you be so inclined.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by primal me View Post
                          If you are looking for a cookbook with easy to follow recipes check out The Food Lover's Make it Paleo. I know Mark has posted from it, he wrote the forward! They have the recipes online so you can give it a test drive. So far we love what I have made so far. The ingredients are all easy to find and the directions are simple and straight forward.
                          www.http://beta.primal-palate.com/
                          Thank you, Primal Me.

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                          Thanks! From their website, I searched for prawns, nothing came back. Shrimp search revealed loads of recipes. Was planning on having shrimp stir fry tonight (actually thawed both local prawns & some wild scallops too). Surprisingly, the Paleo site lists sesame oil (which I recently bought some, date stamped, high quality). Funny...
                          Are shrimp and prawns the same thing only different sizes or are they different critters altogether? Why is sesame oil surprising?

Originally posted by Wrenwood View Post
                          Thanks very much for the cookbook recommendation and the liver pate recipe. I might just try that. I use recipes more as a general guideline except of course for baking which I no longer do. But if the contents are unfamiliar ... somewhere among my books I have a cookbook from the 1940s - I'll bet it has some offal prep tips and recipes too (not to mention some awful ones).
                          Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          If you can get your hands on an old Joy of Cooking, there are instructions on how to cook offal in there. Also, some recipes for cooking things like possum and squirrel, should you be so inclined.
                          I love my Mom's old Julia Childe's book. All that butter.

Comment

Thank you, Primal Me.
                            Are shrimp and prawns the same thing only different sizes or are they different critters altogether? Why is sesame oil surprising?
                            I love my Mom's old Julia Childe's book. All that butter.
                            Shrimp is a phrase we use pretty much only in the USA. Prawns are shrimp, shrimp are prawns, though some would argue size matters. That the small prawns are shrimps coz they are so small... These I used tonight were not quite jumbos but they are pretty big 'uns, size 26s & 28s but mostly 30s.
                            Love 'em with their heads & tails still on, all squishy & yummy...

Sesame oil was surprising on a Paleo recipe blog, coz they poo poo dairy & too much saturated fats, ok, I get their rationale. But sesame oil? Was Paleo Pete grinding the seeds & squeezing the mash through his loin cloth to isolate the oil? Sesame are fairly high in PUFAs, but it's fine for a special meal, like tonight's Chinese stir fry. I love tahini & used to eat it all the time, before I knew better. It was my go-to-nutbutter when I gave up peanut butter in the 90s... I also love black sesame seeds with honey, lovely & simple dessert, which I used to eat & stockpile in Kerala, India for my onward travels. I bought a small bottle of black sesame oil, I'll use it infrequently, keep it in the fridge, & enjoy it's unique hard-to-replace flavor when I cook Chinese or Japanese stir fry.
                            Last edited by Betorq; 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM.
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Sesame oil makes all the difference in the taste of a seaweed salad too.

Comment

Sesame oil makes all the difference in the taste of a seaweed salad too.
                                Also... a little bit goes a long way. It's not like one needs to use a ton of sesame oil to get that lovely flavor.
                                I don't care who's "no-no" list it goes on... I'm keeping it!
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                                X