No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey PB you are looking great! Have you ever done the Murph workout?

Just finished my first Murph in 35:23 - whew! Named after Lt. Michael P. Murphy, a member of the Navy SEALs from Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2005. Lieutenant Murphy, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, was an avid CrossFitter known to do the workout every Wednesday while wearing body armor. Its composed of a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups and 300 squats followed by a 1 mile run.

The secret is to break up the workout into segments and try not to go in oxygen debt (stay below your anaerobic threshold). I feel I can take some time out of this first attempt with a bit of practice and conditioning. Give it a try, its a great challenge and a way to measure your fitness.
    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Originally posted by KerryK View Post
      Whooo weee, that's some pic. Looking GREAT, PB!
      Maybe someday I'll willingly have my pic taken, let alone post it.
      Thanks, Kerry. I'm sure you will.

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
      I peeked in the other day... I just haven't had the gusto to participate yet. Head's not great lately.

I got my gumption up enough to post about a dozen studies in Chaco's thread earlier and he nitpicked one quote I used to summarize a review of 15 articles and ignored the actual studies posted.

His assessment that only protein and CICO matters is a bit left field for me.
      He equated fat = sugar... they are both only fuels and therefor equal.
      And I get all... "Wait, what?!"
      Just doesn't compute.
      Of course... the fact that he recommends that everyone do exactly what he is doing is pretty par for the course.
      I've seen him use that logic too many times.

After that I'm not sure if I'm up for anymore than light quips the remainder of the day. *mush between the ears*
      Choco is a sweet kid but he takes everything to the extreme. Sometimes I think he argues a point with such vehemence just to see how much shit he can stir up. While I agree with his basic premise that calories do count, I find it ironic that when I was doing whole calorie counting threads a while back, he was one of the most vocal dissenters saying that calories were irrelevant and that I only needed to eat massive quantities of sweet potatoes and all my extra weight would just fall off.

His thinking hasn't finished evolving yet. Or, to put it another way, he has some growing up to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
        Hey PB you are looking great! Have you ever done the Murph workout?

Just finished my first Murph in 35:23 - whew! Named after Lt. Michael P. Murphy, a member of the Navy SEALs from Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2005. Lieutenant Murphy, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, was an avid CrossFitter known to do the workout every Wednesday while wearing body armor. Its composed of a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups and 300 squats followed by a 1 mile run.

The secret is to break up the workout into segments and try not to go in oxygen debt (stay below your anaerobic threshold). I feel I can take some time out of this first attempt with a bit of practice and conditioning. Give it a try, its a great challenge and a way to measure your fitness.
        You are looking pretty hot yourself. Us "old geezers" gotta stick together right?
        That sounds like one hell of a workout. I could do the running and squats parts but I can do a grand total of 1 push up and 0 pull ups. Those are my weakest areas due to breast cancer surgery scar tissue, rearranged muscles , etc. But I am working on those areas using the LHT exercises. Speaking of which, unglue rear from chair and go do them, self.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          You are looking pretty hot yourself. Us "old geezers" gotta stick together right?
          That sounds like one hell of a workout. I could do the running and squats parts but I can do a grand total of 1 push up and 0 pull ups. Those are my weakest areas due to breast cancer surgery scar tissue, rearranged muscles , etc. But I am working on those areas using the LHT exercises. Speaking of which, unglue rear from chair and go do them, self.
          You're a real inspiration! Being new I didn't realize your past challenges, now I'm even more impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
            You're a real inspiration! Being new I didn't realize your past challenges, now I'm even more impressed.
            Thank you. But I don't think of myself as particularly impressive. I see it as survival. A lot of people think I'm a bit fanatical about eating strictly clean, keeping my weight down, etc. but, when you have the possibility of cancer coming back hanging over you, it matters more. Or I should say, you see WHY it matters very clearly.

Comment

• Gams pic, new avatar & food pics certainly impressive.

(You wouldn't believe how bummed I was after kestral's message on CFA thread,
              had to go out and swim like a shark was chasing me to relieve the depressing thoughts.)

Comment

Thank you. But I don't think of myself as particularly impressive. I see it as survival. A lot of people think I'm a bit fanatical about eating strictly clean, keeping my weight down, etc. but, when you have the possibility of cancer coming back hanging over you, it matters more. Or I should say, you see WHY it matters very clearly.
                I hear you, well said.

Comment

• Wow, PB, your legs are amazing.

I hear you on the cancer thing. I've never had it (touch wood) but I have a massive family history and likely a genetic predisposition to certain cancers, so I'm rather more uptight about a lot of things than many people I know. I do not want to go through what my mother and so many of my other close relatives did, so I am pretty vigilant.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    Gams pic, new avatar & food pics certainly impressive.

(You wouldn't believe how bummed I was after kestral's message on CFA thread,
                    had to go out and swim like a shark was chasing me to relieve the depressing thoughts.)
                    Thank you and yes, that was awful. kenn is such an ass. I was glad to see the greater proportion of the comments were on the right side of that but there were a few depressingly ignorant ones.

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                    Wow, PB, your legs are amazing.

I hear you on the cancer thing. I've never had it (touch wood) but I have a massive family history and likely a genetic predisposition to certain cancers, so I'm rather more uptight about a lot of things than many people I know. I do not want to go through what my mother and so many of my other close relatives did, so I am pretty vigilant.
                    Thank you. I had absolutely zero family history of it and got it anyway. I just hope that people without a family history of it don't start thinking that they don't have to be vigilant.

Comment

• Well, this was a great lamb shoulder roast but it has been picked over by humans and dog and is now being scavenged by the ants.
                      My BFF came over and made dinner with me and we were too busy gabbing to take pictures earlier. We had a starter salad that was really pretty and a side order of multicolored string beans.

DSCN0215.jpg

I just made a huge batch of liver pate (3 lbs liver) and froze some of it. I really like the way it makes me feel. Nature's multivitamin. Much tastier than a pill too.

Comment

• Day 2 of the August Challenge went well. I did my LHT workout. Yay me! I now have jello arms.

Comment

Day 2 of the August Challenge went well. I did my LHT workout. Yay me! I now have jello arms.
                          Am about to work out too, with heavy weights & swimming laps afterwards. Got up @ 4:45am this morning, very little sleep last night for some reason, but I feel fine. Did some yoga around 6am. Still IFing. Oh and I'm gaining weight, looks like more muscle is the culprit + consuming loads of good fats & protein...

And yes, I will cook & clean for use of guest room...
                          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                            And yes, I will cook & clean for use of guest room...
                            Oh, you don't have to clean anything. How about cooking me okra and a massage?

(He's a certified massage therapist to those who don't know.)

Comment

Oh, you don't have to clean anything. How about cooking me okra and a massage?

(He's a certified massage therapist to those who don't know.)
                              How about an okra massage, knocking out 2 paleobirds w/ 1 veggie... As the okra has that slick mucilage that can double as an oil...
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                                How about an okra massage, knocking out 2 paleobirds w/ 1 veggie... As the okra has that slick mucilage that can double as an oil...
                                That actually makes okra sound sexy. I have never though of "okra" and "sexy" in the same sentence together.

I need to open a window. It's getting warm in here.

Comment

Working...
                                X