Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    Exactly. Ignoring forum advice is a fine skill to develop. Are you trying to get pregnant?
    Yup! We're on month number two of trying. The window opens end of this week. Hubba hubba.
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
      Yup! We're on month number two of trying. The window opens end of this week. Hubba hubba.
      Well, as they say, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. In this case it sounds like more fun than work.

Comment

OK, it's official. I am massively out of shape. I just did my first LHT in a long time and have a serious case of jello arms.

BTW, has anybody noticed that Mark has changed the Five Essential Movements? The overhead press got edited out of the latest version of the ebook. I wonder why it is no longer considered "essential". It is now The Four Essential Movements. The OH press was always one of the most challenging for me so I think I'm going to keep it in my routine.

I am thinking back to the times when things were really cookin' right for me health and fitness wise (This reflection is where that "What works/ WHat doesn't " thread came from)

My workout schedule looked like this for a week:
        1 sprint day
        1 long urban hike (14 miles)
        1 long trail hike with hills (8-12 miles)
        2 LHT workout days
        2 complete rest days (wolf cub walkies don't count as exercise for me)

This schedule worked well because, if I just wasn't feeling the energy one day I could use up one of my rest days but I only had two of those per week so I couldn't get too comfy on the couch.

I've had to regress a level or two on some of the LHT moves. Arggghhhh! This will change.

Comment

OK. So today counts as day one of getting back on track. I have eaten a handful of kumquats and a pot of tea plus I just had the most tender juicy sashimi grade salmon fillet for dinner. I cooked it with a ginger and garlic rub and a dash of tamari plus enough coconut oil to keep things unstuck. Yummmm.
          Plus, I did my LHT. Damn. I had forgotten how deceptively easy those planks look when Mark does them. Reality is much harder.

My goal is to get to the level 4 "Mastery" level on each of the moves. I don't ever feel the need to do pushups with a weighted vest on. The only one I've got at level 4 now is the squats.

Just for my records:

Squats : Level 4. 4x25 full squats (work toward 2x50)
          Push Ups : Level 3 incline push ups. (working my way down from waist high railing (done) to hip high counter to thigh high table then two chairs. Then I will try "real" push ups.)
          Planks : Finished level 2 today. Will try level 3 next time.
          OH Press : Still working Level 1 (elevated jackknife presses). Working down from two chairs(done) to the second step on the staircase to the first step. Then on to level 2.
          Pullups : I have regressed back to the wider woody band (#3 of 4) for which I am kicking myself.

Because of my surgeries, the last two. the OHPs and pull ups are the hardest for me since they involve having my arms over my head. There are places on my chest and under my right arm that have been sliced diced and re-arranged with so many layers of scar tissue that they don't stretch well.

BTW, anybody know what ever became of the Pull Up Challenge thread? Is that still on or have people lost interest?

Comment

Well, day two of getting back on track went well. I did my favorite 14 mile urban hike yesterday. Today is a rest and soak up the sunshine day.

Food for yesterday was four eggs before walking and a whole cookie sheet of roasted marrow bones plus a BAS with mushrooms when I got home. The bones had some meat around the edges which I chawed on Grok style and then turned the bones over to the wolf cub for a final cleaning.

I am still feeling the LHT workout from the day before yesterday. What really hurts is my elbows for some strange reason.

A couple of pounds have already dropped off. I think it's working.

Comment

Hey, you're back!!!

Allowing "special occasion" stuff to become staples like wine, cheese, dark chocolate, berries.
              Originally posted by peril View Post
              Cheese, wine, safe starches, no sprints and no regular LHT can be blamed for my failure to impersonate a washboard.
              Wine, cheese, dark chocolate, berries...yup, me too

BTW, anybody know what ever became of the Pull Up Challenge thread? Is that still on or have people lost interest?
              There's a new one for 2012: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45692.html
              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
              "Moderation sucks." Suse
              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

Yep, what is a "sensible indulgence" when you already look like a Greek God (our dearest Mark) is different than for the rest of us mortals. And when does it stop being "occasional" and get to be a staple? That's the problem. Slippery slope.

I really think that booze of all kinds is behind a lot of people's failures and backslides who are otherwise primal. I know all the cruise booze had a lot to do with my relapse because I really didn't step out of line that much diet wise.

Peril is spot on about the sprints, LHTs and being wary of supposedly "safe" starches. Just because a starch is not tearing holes in your guts does not mean that it is doing you any favors in the weight loss department.

Cheese is one of those things like nuts for me. There is only one serving size : all that is left in the house. I'm better off just not having either of them around.

Comment

Sounds like a lovely cruise and i do hope you thoroughly enjoyed yourself and your 50th! Congratulations on getting half-way through your first century.

I have to say that what are most people's weaknesses are not mine. Mine is fruit! LOL More than 2 pieces a day (or the rough equivalent in feijoas or berries), and i get all sugary. LOL for me, having a daily constraint is good (no more than 2). With other things -- which aren't as great a temptation for me -- i find that if they are cool (kumara), then I can ahve them once a week or so. this is cool.

Movement for me, though, is *key*. If i'm not moving enough, then problems develop! I gotta keep on my movement! If only I could solve this kraken problem i'm having in my right hip/glute/hamstring. So weird. (i knick named my trouble with my leg a kraken.)

Glad to have you back!

Comment

Hi Zoe,

Thank you. "half way through my first century" I like that.

Yes, fruit is also on the sensible *occasional* indulgence list for me, like strawberries after a romantic dinner (yes I am having romantic dinners with a certain someone these days).

I so agree that movement is essential. I think people can lose some of the weight they want to lose while not really breaking a sweat, but that is not really fitness.

What did you do to your hip area or did it just start hurting? I hope it gets better soon.

Comment

Speaking of romantic dinners.........

I have a date tonight. My guy is making me lamb chops. Yes, he can cook. He's also pretty yummy himself. Have a nice evening!

Comment

Nice!

We have a regular sitter now on friday afternoons. It's sweet because Hawk goes to her house and does art (and they have a great time together), and we stay home. Yay! It's kinda romantic, actually, and quite nice.

We've also taken up learning scandinavian recipes. Ryan read an article that scandinavian diet is best for scandinavians, and that much of what they eat is paleo (save the rye breads), and he got curious and interested so I got him a cookbook. more romantic dinners for me, too!

I'm so glad you are having romantic dinners. You are such a life-loving person, it should be totally full of everything.

Comment

Speaking of romantic dinners.........

I have a date tonight. My guy is making me lamb chops. Yes, he can cook. He's also pretty yummy himself. Have a nice evening!
                          Not only does he cook, he cooks lamb! Yum!!!
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                            Nice!

We have a regular sitter now on friday afternoons. It's sweet because Hawk goes to her house and does art (and they have a great time together), and we stay home. Yay! It's kinda romantic, actually, and quite nice.

We've also taken up learning scandinavian recipes. Ryan read an article that scandinavian diet is best for scandinavians, and that much of what they eat is paleo (save the rye breads), and he got curious and interested so I got him a cookbook. more romantic dinners for me, too!

I'm so glad you are having romantic dinners. You are such a life-loving person, it should be totally full of everything.
                            I think that is important that Mom and Dad get some child free alone time together. Sounds like a good arrangement.

So, what exactly do scandinavians eat? I know they are big on fish which is healthy for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
                              Not only does he cook, he cooks lamb! Yum!!!
                              And he cooks lamb well. I'm working on him about Primal. He has seen the wisdom of giving up sugar but he won't give up the bread. What is it with people and their attachment to bread?

Comment

Hey PB! Great idea to start a new journal for a new phase.

Question - Did you ever have a binge eating issue? Can't remember.
                                I screwed myself up royally by eating VLC for too long. Developed hypoglycemia, a binge eating disorder, and had some scary symptoms of thyroid slow down. For me 50-75 carbs seems to be the sweet spot for avoiding these symptoms, but I can't seem to drop the binge habit. There are lots of hormones in play as well.

Anyway enough about me. Nice to see you.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X