Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by delyth View Post
    *long-time lurker, but recipe sharing tends to lure me out into the open*
    Thank you for the recipe and welcome to the Birdnest. I have a huge pile of zuccini staring at me and my neighbors keep dropping off new bags of it faster than I can eat it.

    Originally posted by KerryK View Post
    Ground lemon sounds wonderful. Between this journal and sbhikes' threads I am looking in my vicinity for any and all ethnic stores!
    Oh yes. Today I took an Urban Grok hike (11 miles) with a friend and we stopped at my favorite middle eastern grocery store. They have the best spice blends and sauces. I bought too much stuff and had to haul it all back. I have one of those "old lady" wheeled baskets which I should have brought along.

    Comment


    • After a long urban hike today I just wanted something easy for dinner so i made a Primal taco salad with antelope meat and guacamole on top.

      DSCN0160.jpg

      My hiking buddy stayed for dinner and we had blackberries from the garden with cream on top. G'night.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

        My neighborhood garden is flooded with zucchini atm. Any good ideas for how to use some of it up beyond just the saute in a pan with other veggies option?
        Assuming coconut flour could be made to work in a similar fashion to regular flour (big assumption, I've never used coconut flour), what about a zucchini slice? Savoury, eggy goodness!
        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

        Oscar Wilde

        Comment


        • Also, I like to use a julienne peeler to make a pile of zucchini "spaghetti", pan-fry it lightly to get it warm, and use it as a base for some yummy, meaty, stewy stuff like gulasch.
          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

          Oscar Wilde

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sigi View Post
            Assuming coconut flour could be made to work in a similar fashion to regular flour (big assumption, I've never used coconut flour), what about a zucchini slice? Savoury, eggy goodness!
            Zucchini slice? Is that more like bread or quiche?

            Originally posted by Sigi View Post
            Also, I like to use a julienne peeler to make a pile of zucchini "spaghetti", pan-fry it lightly to get it warm, and use it as a base for some yummy, meaty, stewy stuff like gulasch.
            That's a good idea.

            Another good one was to tell my hiking buddy yesterday that the price of staying to dinner was that he had to take two of them home with him. The pile is now a little more manageable sized.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              My hiking buddy stayed for dinner and we had blackberries from the garden with cream on top. G'night.
              You give me hope. Do blackberries thrive well out in this neck of the woods? We have a new house, and a new garden, and I was musing on berries. Any variety in particular that thrives on this lovely weather?
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

              Comment


              • Originally posted by onalark View Post
                You give me hope. Do blackberries thrive well out in this neck of the woods? We have a new house, and a new garden, and I was musing on berries. Any variety in particular that thrives on this lovely weather?
                All berries do well here. The kind you grow depends more on the space you have. Strawberries need more of a flat field area but backberries and raspberries are more hedgy and can be trained up a fence or trellis. I'm not sure about blueberries, if they are a flat space or a hedge thing.

                Comment


                • Well, no food porn pics tonight. Sorry, folks. I have had a bit of a headache all day. I just reheated some leftover stew for Dad but I don't feel like eating. I think it's a combination of dehydration and being out and about earlier without my sunglasses. Getting to sleep early tonight.

                  I was at the farmers market today to pick up my monthly meat CSA allotment but I also bought some wonderful smelling rooibos tea with chocolate and orange essences in it. I'm going to drink a pot of that for dinner.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Zucchini slice? Is that more like bread or quiche?
                    More like firm quiche.

                    Original (non-Primal) zucchini slice recipe
                    (Some clever-clogs around here can no doubt advise on how to make this more Primal-friendly by converting the SR flour element into coconut flour + bicarb or some such tricky thing, though I make no guarantees as to how the texture might be affected. Don't imagine it will taste too interesting without cheese though, for non-dairy peeps.)

                     Sift 1 cup SR flour
                     Mix in 5 eggs
                     Add up to cup of preferred oil (such as EVOO)
                     Add several chopped rashers of bacon (at least 3 to 4)
                     Add about finely diced onion (I like red, or you could used shredded spring onions)
                     Add up to a cup of grated cheddar or some sort of stronger, bitey cheese
                     If you like to season things up, this is where you might throw in some pepper, herbs, etc – you'll definitely need salt if you're cutting down on the cheese element
                     Add up to 450 g zucchini which has been grated and then squeezed of excess water (you could include some other grated/squeezed vegies such as carrot, but just make the total veg element around 450 g)

                    Mix it all up and put in a well-greased or paper-lined pan, and bake at 180 C for about 40-50 minutes or until golden-brown on top and set in the middle when tested with a skewer.

                    Serve hot, but cold leftovers are good too.
                    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

                    Oscar Wilde

                    Comment


                    • Paleobird, I haven't been to a Farmers Market in years. Which are the good ones in town?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                        More like firm quiche.

                        Original (non-Primal) zucchini slice recipe
                        (Some clever-clogs around here can no doubt advise on how to make this more Primal-friendly by converting the SR flour element into coconut flour + bicarb or some such tricky thing, though I make no guarantees as to how the texture might be affected. Don't imagine it will taste too interesting without cheese though, for non-dairy peeps.)

                         Sift 1 cup SR flour
                         Mix in 5 eggs
                         Add up to cup of preferred oil (such as EVOO)
                         Add several chopped rashers of bacon (at least 3 to 4)
                         Add about finely diced onion (I like red, or you could used shredded spring onions)
                         Add up to a cup of grated cheddar or some sort of stronger, bitey cheese
                         If you like to season things up, this is where you might throw in some pepper, herbs, etc – you'll definitely need salt if you're cutting down on the cheese element
                         Add up to 450 g zucchini which has been grated and then squeezed of excess water (you could include some other grated/squeezed vegies such as carrot, but just make the total veg element around 450 g)

                        Mix it all up and put in a well-greased or paper-lined pan, and bake at 180 C for about 40-50 minutes or until golden-brown on top and set in the middle when tested with a skewer.

                        Serve hot, but cold leftovers are good too.
                        "Clever-clogs". Cute. Is that anything like Gay Panda'a "snazzy clogs"?
                        The thing about coconut flour is that it is very "thirsty". You need to ad some more moisture to the mix. Either a few more eggs or perhaps some coconuit milk would work. Sounds yummy.
                        Is a "rasher" of bacon the same thing as a slice of bacon or some other measurement? Talk about two peoples divided by a common language.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Freckleface View Post
                          Paleobird, I haven't been to a Farmers Market in years. Which are the good ones in town?
                          Hi There. Well, that would depend on where you live.

                          These are the officially authorized ones: Farmers Markets in San Diego - Find locally grown produce: San Diego County Farm Bureau

                          I like the Hillcrest and Little Italy ones best because they are near my house. Little Italy also has good musical entertainment going and they have a booth that sells freshly shucked oysters. I also go to the Golden Hill one because that is where I the pick up location is for my grass fed meat CSA. It's a smaller market but it gets some interesting vendors like this guy who makes the best home brewed kombucha and this old Morrocan guy who sells great spices, organic lamb sausages, feta cheeses, etc.

                          Comment


                          • Thanks so much for the information. I live in Rancho Bernardo, but I go to Little Italy quite frequently. I love it down there.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              "Clever-clogs". Cute. Is that anything like Gay Panda'a "snazzy clogs"?
                              The thing about coconut flour is that it is very "thirsty". You need to ad some more moisture to the mix. Either a few more eggs or perhaps some coconuit milk would work. Sounds yummy.
                              Is a "rasher" of bacon the same thing as a slice of bacon or some other measurement? Talk about two peoples divided by a common language.
                              Hmm. "Clever-clogs" is something equivalent to "smarty-pants", but with a leaning more toward genuinely "smart" rather than "smart-ass" (or "smart-arse" if you're from my country). If you don't use the term "smarty-pants" ... well then I'm not sure what your linguistic equivalent might be!

                              And yes, a rasher is simply a slice of bacon. I didn't realise you guys don't have rashers!
                              I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

                              Oscar Wilde

                              Comment


                              • You can slice courgettes thickly and use them as the 'lasagna' layer in lasagna.....
                                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                                Griff's cholesterol primer
                                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                                bloodorchid is always right

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X