Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cmlloyd View Post
    I really wish i had a diverse selection near me to choose from different dressings and fixins. I live in the half and half area of VA that is about 20 minutes away from any actual store and most of those places are just "stores" they aren't as contemporary as those stores that are about 45 minutes away. lol
    Well, we get the tradeoff here of having all kinds of wonderful ethnic variety but we end up being a long way from where many things are grown. I grow some myself and trade with neighbors, that helps.

But, within a pretty easy walking distance of my house I have a Vons, Albertson's, Whole Foods, Ralph's, Trader Joe's, and a Sprouts. All of them seem to have gotten the word that organic is a big selling point. They all carry things like cage free eggs, wild caught seafood, dairy products with no hormones or antibiotics, organic produce, etc. And some even carry grass fed meat and raw dairy.

So yeah, I kind of "don't get it" when some people say that staying Primal is such a big logistical effort. I just take my Wolf Cub hunting dog with me and walk to the store. Armed with a sharpened debit card at the end of my spear I slay a grass fed beast and gather some organic veggies and bring them back to my cave. Yep, I'm spoiled.

Comment

• DSCN0154.jpg
      Again, the Birdnest Cafe goes seafoody. That is a swordfish steak on a bed of kale, spinach, shrooms, onions, shredded carrots, purple cabbage, and tomatoes. And I'm nibbling on the last of the kumquats for dessert.
      Last edited by Paleobird; 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• looks nice. it's our 'fish and chips' night. we're doing kumara tonight, for sure.

I'm planning our holiday menu. Breakfasts are easy: eggs, sausage/bacon, veggies, berries/yogurt (for DS). Lunches -- bell pepper sandwiches with some deli slices (probably turkey if we can find it. that's a treat) and we're going to put some cheese in it too. basically make BIG sandwiches. Dinners -- this is a toughy.

I need three meals -- so I was thinking perhaps a chicken green curry stir fry for one night; sausages with a warm cavolo nero salad; and mexican spiced steak with fennel-etc salad.

Friday night we'll probably go out for mexican food. Yummy.

Comment

• I must admit that I like to shop in what I call the "lazy vegetables" section of the market and since there are now even organic lazy veggies I'm happy. By lazy I mean things like mushrooms that are all washed and sliced, salad greens pre washed and boxed, pre shredded carrots, pico de gallo salsa instead of chopping up onions and tomatoes. It makes throwing together impressive looking salads and stuff really very easy. It's like having your own private prep cook and then you just get to do the fun part of cooking like the seasonings.

Yeah, it costs a little more but, for me, it makes me much more likely to actually eat all my veggies instead of having them go bad in the fridge so that kind of evens out. And, when you are only cooking for one or two, you get more variety say in a mixed lettuce box. If you had to buy one head or bunch or every different kind of greens in there you would never be able to use it before it wilted.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            looks nice. it's our 'fish and chips' night. we're doing kumara tonight, for sure.

I'm planning our holiday menu. Breakfasts are easy: eggs, sausage/bacon, veggies, berries/yogurt (for DS). Lunches -- bell pepper sandwiches with some deli slices (probably turkey if we can find it. that's a treat) and we're going to put some cheese in it too. basically make BIG sandwiches. Dinners -- this is a toughy.

I need three meals -- so I was thinking perhaps a chicken green curry stir fry for one night; sausages with a warm cavolo nero salad; and mexican spiced steak with fennel-etc salad.

Friday night we'll probably go out for mexican food. Yummy.
            That all sound delicious.
            I know kumara look different from what we call sweet potatoes here. Do they taste any different?

Comment

• Depends upon the variety. There are orange ones like the sweet potatoes in the US, but they are sweeter. The red ones are red on the outside, white on the inside, and taste a little sweet and are kind of stringy on the inside (not enough to be 'pasta' but just has that mouth feel). The purple ones are purple on the outside and white with purple stripes on the inside. These are middle of the road sweet -- between red and orange. There are yellow ones too -- or golden ones -- which taste about the same as the purple ones. And then there are ones that are different sizes -- and sometimes different colors. A dark dark purple one that looks black or navy, that is white with black/purple/navy stripes inside.

Yeah, so they are cool. Lots of varieties. And we can get several varieties of pumpkin, squashes, and I think abuot 7 or 8 different kinds of "white" potatoes -- waxy ones, starchy ones, red bliss, little purple colored ones, ones that are more yellow, etc. Oddly, I can only find about 2-3 varieties of onion though (red, white, yellow), and I would love more onion varieties.

Comment

The red ones are red on the outside, white on the inside, and taste a little sweet and are kind of stringy on the inside (not enough to be 'pasta' but just has that mouth feel).
                These sound a bit like some of the ones I get at the local Asian markets. Sometimes sold as "Korean sweet potatoes". I love 'em! They're a little more starchy and denser than typical American sweet potatoes. The old standby ones we get here -- by which I mean "the orange ones" -- are kind of watery and flat-tasting in comparison. They do make good oven fries, tho.

Kumara! That's a new one for me. Learn something new every day!
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• We just cut open some dark purple/navy colored "maori potatoes" (kumara) and they were the same color inside as outside! *awesome!*

The orange ones here are super sweet and super soft and starchy and lovely when baked and then a bit of butter and salt. they don't need any other seasoning, they are so sweet!

Comment

We just cut open some dark purple/navy colored "maori potatoes" (kumara) and they were the same color inside as outside! *awesome!*

The orange ones here are super sweet and super soft and starchy and lovely when baked and then a bit of butter and salt. they don't need any other seasoning, they are so sweet!
                    Every Saturday I make buckwheat pancakes for Mr. Onalark and me. Except when I'm doing a Whole30; then I make him pancakes, and me a sweet potato. Throw some ghee and coconut manna on that thing, and I'm all, pancakes, what pancakes?

We get Okinawa sweets here. I luuuuurv them.
                    Steph
                    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Sounds like my friendly neighborhood Asian markets are the place to go. They have all kinds of interesting things in the produce department.

I've tried those long brown ones that are white on the inside that they sometimes label "yams". They are good once they are cooked but they are kind of slimy and weird feeling while getting the peeling off.

Any kind of potatoes are something I reserve for a once in a while treat or for dinners including non-Primal company. I like showing them a steak, salad, and sweet potato dinner and hearing them say, "I thought you were on some weird, super restrictive diet..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        Any kind of potatoes are something I reserve for a once in a while treat or for dinners including non-Primal company. I like showing them a steak, salad, and sweet potato dinner and hearing them say, "I thought you were on some weird, super restrictive diet..."
                        YESSSSSS. I admit to using the same evil ploy. Assuming they're not vegetarian, anytime I have a friend over for dinner, this is the exact gameplan I pull. I remember one of my friends looking up at me halfway through her meal, her eyes shining, and she was like, "This is soooo gooood."

And I leaned over and said, "This is how we eat."
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• I have been cooking all day. This morning I made liver pate. Yumm. Then I made these muffins. Almost worthy of Dr. Bork Bork. They are coconut flour, cocoa powder, lotsa eggs, and a bunch of grated zucchini. (plus spices and some coconut oil)
                          DSCN0157.jpg

My neighborhood garden is flooded with zucchini atm. Any good ideas for how to use some of it up beyond just the saute in a pan with other veggies option?

The slow cooker was going all day and finally rendered up this creation. Mystery Meat Stew. I had a bit of skirt steak, three oxtail bones, and a very small beef tongue. None of these were enough for a whole meal for two on their own so I tossed them all in together. Can't hurt. They're all beef. I skinned the tongue and chopped it up plus fot the meat off the oxtail bones and chopped up the skirt steak after cooking about 4 hours. They I piled all the meat back into the cooker and added the veggies for another 3 hours. Twas really yummy.

DSCN0158.jpg

Comment

• Note to self: Stay away from the nutrition forum. You just end up arguing with idiots about irrelevant stuff.

This Ray Peat person is really bugging me though. One of his disciples, Danny Roddy, was advocating large amounts of orange juice and table sugar as healthy.

Head, meet Desk.

Comment

• I have one zucchini plant in my garden. But it is a very enthusiastic zucchini plant, so I've had to get a bit creative too. The last time I was stuck staring at a pile of zucchini on the counter, I turned the whole batch into a curried soup. No measurements, but the general idea was:

Saute a chopped onion with fresh garlic and ginger in butter.
                              Throw in some brown mustard seeds and cover while they pop around.
                              Stir in a bunch of curry-type seasonings -- I think I used ground cumin, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, a bit of clove.
                              After a minute or so throw in all the zucchini I had on my counter, roughly sliced.
                              Add chicken broth to barely cover, and simmer until tender.
                              Puree with hand-held blender, and stir in 1 can of coconut milk.
                              Adjust seasoning -- and this is important. My soup was pretty bland, even with all the seasonings. It definitely needed salt, a generous helping of black pepper, and some sort of citrus element to brighten things up. I used ground lemon that I buy at a local Middle Eastern grocery -- which I love because it tends to add a bright lemon flavor without an acid background. But lemon juice would work just fine, I am sure.

After seasoning, it was quite lovely

*long-time lurker, but recipe sharing tends to lure me out into the open*

Comment

• Ground lemon sounds wonderful. Between this journal and sbhikes' threads I am looking in my vicinity for any and all ethnic stores!
                                SW: 243
                                CW: 177
                                Goal: Health

Comment

Working...
                                X