No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! a success story person that I know!!!

I've gone back to the book several times and found out something interesting. The PB is very conservative. He does not say eat all the fat and calories you want.
    I too wish people would read the book...over and over. The forums can be very seductive. :P
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I learn more every time I reread it. And I look forward to doing so for a while. I think it is too much to absorb all at once. I just wish people would at least START there.

Comment

• Steph, I love the little rolleyes emoticon. It says so much.

Yeah, Paula, It does feel like we know each other. It's been quite a while and we've both been through some pretty amazing changes.
        It's is interesting how people will adamantly insist that any form of calorie restriction is antithetical to the PB until you point out that whole chapter about it in the PB book. I think it's selective vision.

Sabine, there is a lot to absorb there, you're right. Mark's writing style is so breezy that it doesn't feel like "weighty prose" when you are reading it but there is a lot of content there.

Comment

• I had my monthly Game Night with my peeps last night at which I always end up eating too much and drinking too much red wine so I just decided to roll with. So I gained five pounds overnight. We'll see how much of that is water.

The food at Game Night has been making a shift toward primal as a couple of people have discovered gluten intolerances and one other friend (affectionately known as "the other Robin") has gone full on Paleo. Game Night food used to be mostly about the cookies, pretzels, chocolate covered nuts, et. Last night was exclusively meats, veggies, fruit, and nuts. The nuts were a salted mix and I ate too much salami and who knows what was in the Costco veggie dip (aka a salt fest) plus the wine=bloat.

Oh well, it was fun and very worth it. I have interesting, intelligent friends.

Comment

• I did a game night (or, day and night) with friends yesterday, too! We played Settlers of Catan and Dominion this time. Which games do you play?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              I did a game night (or, day and night) with friends yesterday, too! We played Settlers of Catan and Dominion this time. Which games do you play?
              Those are both excellent, excellent games. I also recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe as being of similar quality.

PB, do you know when you are getting published?
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Are those video games? Our game nights are more about card or board games. Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Life's a Pitch, Chrononauts, etc.

I don't know which Friday it will be published. Lady Grok, who had her story published recently, said on the She Groks only thread that she was notified by email the day before it came out. I will let you know if I hear anything. I have no idea how many of those stories Mark gets and how many he chooses to publish or not.

Comment

• Settlers is a board game, and Dominion is card-based. They are both strategy with a bit of luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                    Those are both excellent, excellent games. I also recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe as being of similar quality.

PB, do you know when you are getting published?
                    Ooh, I just bought a still-in-shrink-wrap "Ticket to Ride - Days of Wonder" (America version not Europe) at a tag sale. I hope it's as good as it looks. I kind of wish it was Europe, but I can't complain getting a $40 game for $3! I'm glad to hear the Europe version is so good. I have high hopes for this game...
                    SW: 243
                    CW: 177
                    Goal: Health

Comment

• We really enjoy Ticket to Ride (North America). It is a great family game- easy to learn, but not boring to play. $3! What a deal!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        Are those video games? Our game nights are more about card or board games. Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Life's a Pitch, Chrononauts, etc.

I don't know which Friday it will be published. Lady Grok, who had her story published recently, said on the She Groks only thread that she was notified by email the day before it came out. I will let you know if I hear anything. I have no idea how many of those stories Mark gets and how many he chooses to publish or not.
                        Apples to Apples is the most addictive game. We just got into Settlers. Hello by the way
                        Primal Journal | MikeZentz.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Are those video games? Our game nights are more about card or board games. Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Life's a Pitch, Chrononauts, etc.

They are german style tabletop games (boardgames or cardgames). Although dominion is loosely based on Magic the Gathering.

Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                          Ooh, I just bought a still-in-shrink-wrap "Ticket to Ride - Days of Wonder" (America version not Europe) at a tag sale. I hope it's as good as it looks. I kind of wish it was Europe, but I can't complain getting a $40 game for $3! I'm glad to hear the Europe version is so good. I have high hopes for this game...
                          Yeah, the american version is still a good game (it doesn't suck), it's just the first version of the game that was printed. So the European version is basically strictly better in terms of its rules enhancements.

I would add 'stations' to the american version as a house rule (the station rule: as your action for the turn, you may spend a carriage card to effectively 'borrow' a route already claimed by someone else. That route counts as being your for the purposes of determining which tickets are successfully completed at the end of the game. Each station counts as -4 points at the end of the game, but sometimes that's the difference between completing your big ticket and failing miserably at it). It is *such* a kick in the junk if someone blocks your route otherwise. I mean, it's an opportunity to develop character.
                          Last edited by magicmerl; 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM.
                          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Thanks for all the great ideas about new games to look into.

We've really been having fun with Life's a Pitch lately. It is a card game in which each person gets seven cards with the names of objects on them. Some of them are really weird like "a very hairy back" or "sequined gloves" or "an irate prairie dog". Then the judge for that round gets a "situation card" for example, "My friend is lost in the Amazon. What do you have that will save her?" or "While fumigating the attic of the White House, exterminators were surprised to find <this>". Then each person has to pick their best card and give a sales pitch for why it should be the one chosen. If you have a group of quick witted and articulate people, it can be hilarious what we come up with.

Welcome to the Birdnest, Mike. I think the same people who like Apples to Apples would also like Life's a Pitch because of the word play and weird associations involved.
                            Last edited by Paleobird; 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• DSCN0139.jpg

This (yesterday's dinner) is what I think of whenever anyone starts getting whinny about Primal being so restrictive and no fun at all.

This is just an average dinner at my house consisting of a swordfish steak cooked in garlic herb Kerrygold butter with a salad containing tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, etc all covered in a homemade caesar dressing with a side of half a perfectly ripe avocado.
                              To drink there is a glass of San Peligrino with Rangpur lime wedges (homegrown limes). And for dessert, fresh raspberries and homemade whipped cream made from raw cream.

Yeah, somebody eating this dinner would walk away feeling so restricted and un-fullfilled because there was no bread
                              Last edited by Paleobird; 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Now, that is a super fantastic meal. Why don't people think beyond the obvious? You should post that picture on the Recipe/Good Eats forum.
                                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X