Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by primal me View Post
    I'd buy that book! I've already picked up Wild Fermentation and The Art of Fermentation, both by the same author but I can't remember his name.

Will there be enough milk protein in the starter culture/kefir grains to cause a reaction or should I wait until the second or third batches to feed it to my boys? I'd rather avoid upsetting their systems any more than I have to and one of the boys has a psycho-reactive allergy, his behavior changes quite severely and I try to avoid that at all costs.

Sorry to jack your thread Paleobird.
    Since he has a reactive allergy to cow dairy I'd wait until the second batch to give him any.
    The grains you get generally amount to about 2 Tbsp, and are made of gelatinous gobs of bacteria that form colonies... so they aren't really like "grains" at all. But since they were very likely previously cultured in cow dairy they might have some residue adhering them even if they were rinsed.

After the first acclimation batch I think any residue will be done away with to a degree that it will be safe, and fully colonized by goaty things.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• yay about lots of sex followed by steak and eggs.

Comment

• Primal me, I think the books you mentioned were by Sandor Katz.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          yay about lots of sex followed by steak and eggs.
          Followed by more sex. A very good way to spend some time together indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Primal me, I think the books you mentioned were by Sandor Katz.
            Yes Paleobird, you are right. I have devoured both books and made two batches of pickles and really want to get started on yogurt and kefir. Also, my oldest son is looking to explore Japanese cooking and brought me a recipe for Miso soup that he would like to try. Might have to explore making miso ...

I like the turn this journal has taken, sex, steak and eggs. Not always what you expect in one of these journals but always good when both parties are enjoying the sex, steak and eggs Very primal, carry on! Won't be getting mine until DH returns next week. He makes really good steak ...
            I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
            HT: 5'7"
            SW: 223 June 2012
            CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
            TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Comment

• Today was just a kefir and sex day for me... so there's that.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• I wish there was a like button! I would "Like" these posts!
                I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                HT: 5'7"
                SW: 223 June 2012
                CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Comment

• I agree with primal me. so often I really like a comment but don't have anything to contribute
                  When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                  27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                  new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

• Originally posted by primal me View Post
                    I like the turn this journal has taken, sex, steak and eggs. Not always what you expect in one of these journals but always good when both parties are enjoying the sex, steak and eggs Very primal, carry on! Won't be getting mine until DH returns next week. He makes really good steak ...
                    I like the turn my life has taken. I really think I'm falling for this guy. Must be the steak.....

Comment

• I have to say that now that DH's gut is in order and he's so healthy, he's gotten his 'appetite" back. So now, we have to make sure that the kiddo is either deeply asleep or out with friends/sitters. But, it usually means that everything happens after the IF window closes! LOL

And, DS has had two over-night parties this year so far (he loves going over and spending the night with friends), and that's been fun. Because we usually break fast after having a good time.

DS's increased independence has been helpful to us!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        I like the turn my life has taken. I really think I'm falling for this guy. Must be the steak.....
                        lol.... uhhh huh.... He must have a helluva grill!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          You know how it is Doc... you can't really have one that is great without the other.
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                            I have to say that now that DH's gut is in order and he's so healthy, he's gotten his 'appetite" back.
                            DS's increased independence has been helpful to us!
                            The last time I was with this guy, for about two thirds of our relationship I was either sick or recovering from cancer operations and chemo. Didn't do god things to my appetites and must have been frustrating for him.

And yes, I think it's nature's birth control, you are so tired, sleep deprived and lacking in privacy when you first have a kiddo, it is just about impossible to have another one too soon.

I'm glad you two are finding time (and appetites) for each other again.

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            You know how it is Doc... you can't really have one that is great without the other.
                            I do like a man who knows his meat.

Comment

• I have some very old and dear friends coming to stay with me through the weekend. They are a couple who used to live in Baja Mexico and for many years we had a summertime house swapping arrangement. She is a veterinarian and he is a psychologist. Educated, intelligent, articulate, just all around warm and caring people. I got my dog through her rescue shelter in Mexico so the Wolf Cub considers them to be and aunt and uncle.

The guy's mom lives here in San Diego and this weekend is having her 100th birthday party.

Comment

• Wow, the big 100 - that's so cool.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X