Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
    Thanks for the info PB. Those are some impressive weight loss numbers, it will be interesting to see how the week goes. Will you be training at all during the milk fast?
    I'm just doing my normal stuff which is walking a lot, sprints once a week and trying to remember to to an LHT workout twice a week. I bought a pull up bar but I'm still a long way from an unassisted pull up. I have lots of energy and don't feel at all "depleted".

    In fact I don' t really think we should be calling this thing a "fast" at all. Richard refers to it as the milk intervention. Meant to be kind of a dietary reset.

    It might be interesting to cycle steakaneggz with some milk days.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      My only last comment on the whole boob issue is that Mr. Perfidy is certifiable. Nuff said.
      I just saw that thread. Gordon Bennet! Her body, her - perfectly rational - choice.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I just saw that thread. Gordon Bennet! Her body, her - perfectly rational - choice.
        Yep, the operative word being "HER". I just don't see why people bother arguing with him. It's like having an argument with the homeless guy in the park who is yelling at imaginary enemies. Pretty pointless.

        Well, here it is 9pm and I still haven't gotten around to my third pint of milk.

        I plugged all the numbers for the day into Sparkpeople and came up with 1036 calories for the day (that is 2 pints milk, 1 pint kefir, 1 pint kombucha, about 3oz pomegranate juice in the kefir, and 1.5 tbsp of butter) with a f/p/c of 43.6/18.5/37.9

        I think I could get better macros by going with goat milk and skipping the kombucha (although I am enjoying the excuse to drink it again for science of course.)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          It shocks/saddens me that men seem so attached to the idea that women should not have such domain over their own bodies. It is men that seem the most bothered by her decisions. =/
          I would say that this is not the case for my husband. He certainly believes that women should have this domain. What he's concerned about is women going through *potentially unnecessary and potentially harmful* surgeries and the removal of parts of their bodies.

          And then, in his mind, he started to think about it in terms of people -- just removing body parts because of a potential risk of disease, rather than doing what one can do to prevent, including just getting good, preventative care.

          I think that, for us, as "natural preferring" people, we are looking at keeping our bodies as whole as possible for as long as possible. So, we advocate that, too. along with medical choice!

          Comment


          • hmm. interesting abt milk!

            Comment


            • Sorry to bring it back to breasts, but I spoke to husband. Said: dude, if it was me (and it might be, next time we're in NHS land I should probably get that stuff checked out, given that I do not know my family history) I would totally get it all lopped off and no reconstruct. I made slashing motions and gestured to what would be really cool flat-chested scars and he was...stunned and horrified. And I said, wait, fake tits are better than no tits? Apparently, yes. Who knew? I would have stuffed chicken fillets in a bra and called it good, but no - chicken fillets have to be under the skin. I still like the scar idea better...
              Last edited by badgergirl; 05-16-2013, 02:14 AM.
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

              Comment


              • my husband says he would prefer health first, prevention second, and if necessary, then mastectomy and leave it be. No fake breasts. that upsets him -- even when using your own tissue and stuff.

                he's completely freaked out about the organs that his family have had killed, partially killed or removed. it's like they are killing/removing happy. His dad and sister had part of their hearts killed, when the origin of the problem was/is anxiety. His sister had her thyroid irradiated, even though there were several other treatment options for her graves disease. His mother had a hysterectomy for apparently no reason. She had half of her thyroid removed as treatment for hyperthyroid. They all had their tonsils removed when he was 12 because the doctors said it would prevent any tonsil problems in the future (they'd never had any in the past!).

                Honestly, it's a bit freaky to him all around. Largely because 1. they don't look at causes or alternatives (even if they rule them out eventually, one should at least look in order to have real *choice* in the matter; and 2. in the situation of the uterus, it was quite literally "you're of the age now where this should come out." seriously weird, old-school medical garbage that one.

                Apparently, he comes from a long line of "kill/remove organs" as medical/non-medical whatever you just do it because the doctor told you to.

                Comment


                • OK, since everyone wants to talk about boobs..............

                  Preferring all natural health to prevent problems is great, but the BRCA gene is not about just any old breast cancer. Having it is an 87% chance of a highly aggressive very fast moving cancer. Thus, if one were trying for healthy prevention and it didn't happen to work, one could be dead very quickly and/or have to have a much more radical mastectomy if the cancer spread to the lymph nodes, etc.

                  (I say this as someone missing several of my lymph nodes on one side and who is still unable to do a one armed plank on that side due to muscle/tissue damage in the area.)

                  Having the preventative mastectomy would make the operation much less invasive and provide an easier/faster recovery since one is healthy at the time and has all one's resources to devote to healing.

                  Nobody would make such a decision lightly and I certainly hope nobody would ever be "pressured into it". If someone makes that decision, however, I think that should be respected. Not second guessed and analyzed by everyone from the tabloid press to..........US here.

                  About reconstruction. I had mine for me, not for any guy. Since mine was only one side, I wanted symmetry. The tissue transplant was the best option for me at the time. Had it been bi-lateral, I would have gone with the bags because there would have been a lot less scarring involved. (I have a scar from hipbone to hipbone as well as those on my chest.) I also had a nip and tuck on the other side in order to make them match since I didn't have enough "extra" on my tummy to make the transplant big enough.

                  So, someone choosing to have the operation while healthy and well able to recover, having the reconstruction while there is still room for the bags (avoiding that stretched too tight problem) makes lots of sense to me. That would be a walk in the park compared to the series of eight operations I had while being sick with a non-existant immune system.
                  Last edited by Paleobird; 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM.

                  Comment


                  • It makes a lot of sense, but I think much of it comes down to medical ethics. Sadly, there are people out there who will blindly follow celebrities. "Oh, I don't have the gene? Well, Angelina did it so sign me up anyway!" It comes down to doctors saying, "Hell no." It's when it becomes a money maker for those involved that things swing from useful to insane. I can see a budding industry of cancer prevention becomes cosmetic surgery cash cow.

                    Comment


                    • Meanwhile on the milk front (has anyone noticed the irony that we are talking about boobs and milk?)

                      I lost another pound. That's 8lbs in 3 days

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                        It makes a lot of sense, but I think much of it comes down to medical ethics. Sadly, there are people out there who will blindly follow celebrities. "Oh, I don't have the gene? Well, Angelina did it so sign me up anyway!" It comes down to doctors saying, "Hell no." It's when it becomes a money maker for those involved that things swing from useful to insane. I can see a budding industry of cancer prevention becomes cosmetic surgery cash cow.
                        Any person who would do that just because a celebrity did is stupid enough that they almost deserve to get their boobs hacked off and any doctor who would do that deserves to lose his/her license.

                        Although people can and do elect to have all kinds of weird body modifications. Everything from huge piercings to tats to scarification to facelifts. There will always be a doctor unscrupulous enough to fill someones psychological needs however twisted. It is your body, ultimately, to do with whatever you want.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Meanwhile on the milk front (has anyone noticed the irony that we are talking about boobs and milk?)

                          I lost another pound. That's 8lbs in 3 days
                          I am curious if you are tracking losses in measurements or noticing where this poundage appears to be coming from.

                          I have access to raw milk if I make the trek some weekend and really want ot try it. I figure I can always turn it into yogurt and give it to my parents if it doesn't agree with me. Is it weird that I'd trust yogurt from raw milk more than yogurt from store-bought milk? They say to heat milk to 180F first to kill off bacteria, then cool to 110 and mix in your starter, but with raw milk, it's better to just heat to the incubation temperature of 110F, then mix in your starter and let it set. You keep some of the beneficial bacteria that way. I wouldn't feel so brave only heating store-bought milk, even from a local brand, to 110.
                          Depression Lies

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            Any person who would do that just because a celebrity did is stupid enough that they almost deserve to get their boobs hacked off and any doctor who would do that deserves to lose his/her license.

                            Although people can and do elect to have all kinds of weird body modifications. Everything from huge piercings to tats to scarification to facelifts. There will always be a doctor unscrupulous enough to fill someones psychological needs however twisted. It is your body, ultimately, to do with whatever you want.
                            Very true as far as the idiots and unscrupulous individuals are concerned. As for your last sentence, well, it simply is not true (though perhaps it should be). In most places in America you are not free to use your body for prostitution, to have someone assist you in commiting suicide (even self-attempted suicide is illegal in many places), nor are you permitted to sell your organs. We have a long way to go before our bodies are truely ours to do with as we will.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              I am curious if you are tracking losses in measurements or noticing where this poundage appears to be coming from.

                              I have access to raw milk if I make the trek some weekend and really want ot try it. I figure I can always turn it into yogurt and give it to my parents if it doesn't agree with me. Is it weird that I'd trust yogurt from raw milk more than yogurt from store-bought milk? They say to heat milk to 180F first to kill off bacteria, then cool to 110 and mix in your starter, but with raw milk, it's better to just heat to the incubation temperature of 110F, then mix in your starter and let it set. You keep some of the beneficial bacteria that way. I wouldn't feel so brave only heating store-bought milk, even from a local brand, to 110.
                              I haven't taken any measurements yet but my stomach looks noticeably flatter.

                              According to what I've been reading, kefir actually has more beneficial strains of bacteria in it than yogurt because it is not heated at all. It's just done at room temp.

                              Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              Very true as far as the idiots and unscrupulous individuals are concerned. As for your last sentence, well, it simply is not true (though perhaps it should be). In most places in America you are not free to use your body for prostitution, to have someone assist you in commiting suicide (even self-attempted suicide is illegal in many places), nor are you permitted to sell your organs. We have a long way to go before our bodies are truely ours to do with as we will.
                              True. I just meant that wrt body modifications/enhancements.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                True. I just meant that wrt body modifications/enhancements.
                                I can't argue with that. (dammit)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X