Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    OK, I've made a decision. One of the buildings I had seen in my hunting called me back to say that one of their units has been vacated recently and that I could see it if I would be understanding that it hasn't been cleaned yet. This was one I had seen the floorplan for but nothing prepared me for what I saw when I walked in. The view from this place should be posted right in the dictionary next to the definition of spectacular. The apartment is about 1000 sq ft with another 800 of terrace space! You can see about a 320 degree panorama of the Coronado Bridge, the mountains to the east, Balboa Park, the harbor. Yet it is high enough up on the 35th floor to be above all the city noise and grit. If this place were for sale as a condo it would easily fetch upwards of 1.5 million. It has real wood floors (not laminate) and real wood cabinets (not veneer). Stainless steel appliances. Oh my. I'm smitten.
    I can't wait to see the sunrise over those mountains. Now I just have to start measuring all my stuff and deciding what to leave behind. I may have to get a smaller dining room table or ditch it entirely. I can get some barstools and eat off the counter or a coffee table. Oooooh this is such fun!!!!!!!!
    Oh, sounds gorgeous! Want!!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      That is really great, so exciting and so happy for you
      Thank you.
      Originally posted by Sigi View Post
      Oh, sounds gorgeous! Want!!
      Anytime you wander by this way I will have a guest room with a futon.

Forgive me if I SQUEEEEEEE!!!! This is all just so exciting.

Comment

• Sounds Excellent!
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Today has been spent giving my closets and shelves a good going over and sorting out. Lots of stuff off to the Goodwill. I'm getting in contact with the new buyers to see if they want to keep some of my bigger furniture. Like I have a bunch of huge free standing wardrobes but all the closet space at my new place is built in. If the buyers have their own stuff and want mine out of the way that's OK but it might be good for both of us if they kept a few things. Less moving and schlepping all around.

I have an appointment tomorrow to go back and see the new place armed with a tape measure. I'm taking measurements of my furniture here, then I can see what will fit or not.

Comment

• Congrats Robin on everything!
            5 years cancer free
            Selling your place
            Finding an amazing new place

All Excellent!!!
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• That sounds like an awesome place! I'm psyched for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                Congrats Robin on everything!
                5 years cancer free
                Selling your place
                Finding an amazing new place
                All Excellent!!!
                Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                That sounds like an awesome place! I'm psyched for you!
                Thanks WnC and Zoe!
                So today I went with the tape measure and decided what furniture is going to have to go. As I suspected, the dining room table is out. There is space fro a table, just not one that big. I'm looking for something with a glass top so it can go near the floor to ceiling windows without blocking the view too much. On second look, the kitchen counter really doesn't lend itself to barstool dining because the counter doesn't stick out so one would have to sit sideways to eat.

My big desk is also being left in the dust. The new buyers of the place would like to keep the wardrobe cabinets in the bedroom however which is fine by me. They would have to be completely disassembled to get them down the stairs. They came up in Ikea boxes.

I brought my BFF along with me today and she now knows why I am smitten.

Comment

• i can't wait to see some pictures.

i've been doing some budgeting to rearrange our place so that we can use the closet-room as DS's room (it has a window, it's the original bedroom for the house). It's 7.5 ft by 10 ft. I look forward to making it work.

Comment

• Yes! Pictures when you get all set up.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                      Yes! Pictures when you get all set up.
                      Indeed. I think a combination of Paleobird-posing-in-bikini + terrace + lovely view behind her should do the trick!
                      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                        Indeed. I think a combination of Paleobird-posing-in-bikini + terrace + lovely view behind her should do the trick!
                        You forgot Wolf Cub.
                        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                          i can't wait to see some pictures.
                          Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                          Yes! Pictures when you get all set up.
                          Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                          Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                          You forgot Wolf Cub.
                          Hehehe. I'll see what I can do.

Comment

• Well the past couple of days have been fun. Not.

There has been a building inspector, a soils engineer, and a pest inspector, and tomorrow there is going to be a formal appraisal done by the buyer's bank.

It's kind of creepy to have all these people crawling all over my house and picking apart every little thing that is not perfect about it.

Then there is going to come all the dickering back and forth about who pays for what in terms of bringing things up to perfect. My feeling is that when you buy a 60 year old structure, you should not expect perfection and, if you want something upgraded, you should pay for it. My broker says that a good place to draw the line is between health and safety issues and cosmetic issues. Like I could agree to get some loose electrical plates repaired but if they want paint and plaster dings repaired they can pay for it. That would be OK.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a done deal yet. This is escrow and it is possible for things to fall apart. The buyers have until March 5th to put down their "earnest money" which is $27,000. So after that, I will be more confident that they will not get cold feet and back out.

The two potential stumbling blocks between now and March 5th are all these inspections and the buyers getting their financing together.

Comment

• I've never heard of a delay on earnest money. I've always had it with the offer. I also would expect the financing to be figured out before hand, otherwise the deal could go south quickly. Good luck. Stressful times.

Comment

• Are you an Aries Amazon?

Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly!
                                My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

Working...
                                X