Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
    Why do you consider cheese and berries as "special" occasion stuff?
    Hi Gadsie,
    As Zoe said, tailored to individual needs and also tailored to the specific time and place in any one person's life. If someone is at a healthy weight and has no metabolic issues and has remained stable there for a while, berries can easily be a staple food item.

    Cheese is very much up to the individual. I find I do well with raw milk dairy foods but not pasteurized. I don't get the horrible digestive upsets some people get, just a case of stuffed up sinuses and general inflammation (mostly shows in puffy ankles). But, even when I find raw dairy, it is still relatively calorie and carb dense so I shouldn't overdo it.

    And Happy Birthday! We need more young'uns like you in the tribe.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Hi Gadsie,
      As Zoe said, tailored to individual needs and also tailored to the specific time and place in any one person's life. If someone is at a healthy weight and has no metabolic issues and has remained stable there for a while, berries can easily be a staple food item.

      Cheese is very much up to the individual. I find I do well with raw milk dairy foods but not pasteurized. I don't get the horrible digestive upsets some people get, just a case of stuffed up sinuses and general inflammation (mostly shows in puffy ankles). But, even when I find raw dairy, it is still relatively calorie and carb dense so I shouldn't overdo it.

      And Happy Birthday! We need more young'uns like you in the tribe.
      Thanks! I use raw (very long fermented) cheese as a staple because otherwise it's hard to gain weight. I eat a lot of beef but beef isn't even THAT calorie dense. An even on 4000 calories a day I hardly gain weight and on more active periods I even lose a little weight. And I want to gain weight so I upped my cals to about 5000 (I know crazy ) and this is, like you said, easily achievable with cheese
      well then

      Comment


      • Hi Robin, hoping you've kicked the cancer in the arse. Speaking of which, a panty shot will always be appreciated
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

        Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

        Comment


        • Hawk eats about 3 kilos of berries a week with raw yogurt. Since he's 4, and he is growing and runs around like a wild creature, I would say that it's cool for him. He loves his berries.

          I probably eat fruit about 1x per day, and sometimes that's berries, but more often it's citrus and/or seasonal fruits. Kiwifruit and feijoas are my favorites, but I also can get passion fruit and a few others.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
            Thanks! I use raw (very long fermented) cheese as a staple because otherwise it's hard to gain weight. I eat a lot of beef but beef isn't even THAT calorie dense. An even on 4000 calories a day I hardly gain weight and on more active periods I even lose a little weight. And I want to gain weight so I upped my cals to about 5000 (I know crazy ) and this is, like you said, easily achievable with cheese
            Yes, for your age and weight, eat all the berries and cheese you want. And pour some cream over the berries. Yumm.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by peril View Post
              Hi Robin, hoping you've kicked the cancer in the arse. Speaking of which, a panty shot will always be appreciated
              Thank you peril. After I get the results back from my scan, I will see what I can do.

              Comment


              • Today I got Dad's breakfast, then started a crockpot full of oxtail soup cooking and then took off for a 1/2 marathon walk. That felt good. I am determined to not let caring for Dad become an excuse to sit around and get fat and out of shape.

                That oxtail soup smells soooooooo good. The whole house smells like it.

                Comment


                • nice. i tried to get a tail to make the soup, but apparently the pre-order list is brutal. lots of immigrants from africa have recently come over, it appears. or at least, that's what all three butchers told me (two halal and one regular -- but the regular guy says he doesn't get many people asking for tails in our white-white suburb -- lots of german specialities, but not the things i'm looking for. lol).

                  Comment


                  • I get mine as an extra add on to my regular grass fed meat CSA allotment. They are just so pleased that anyone wants oxtail, marrow bones, liver, tongue, heart, etc.

                    Now that I've started including these things in my diet, I can't imagine going back to just plain muscle meats. How boring.

                    The soup was awesome but I made way too much. Leftovers. Not a problem.

                    Comment


                    • try canning them for your primal earth quake kit!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        try canning them for your primal earth quake kit!
                        I'm making a big batch of beef heart jerky. That is good to keep around.

                        If "The Big One" earthquake hit today, we could probably live off what is in the freezer for a while. We could roast marrow bones over a bonfire and throw the hollowed out ones to the dog. I wonder how long a person could live just off of bone marrow. It seems like a really *dense* food.

                        Comment


                        • I had a full body bone scan today (speaking of bones). They had done one shortly after chemo and had determined that I fell into the "osteopenia" category which is like borderline osteoporosis (chemo has that side effect often). It will be interesting to see how much difference a few years of primal eating and hiking mountains has made.

                          They are also checking my calcium and Vit D levels. Good things to know also. All part of the five year check up process.
                          Last edited by Paleobird; 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Sweet.

                            A client of mine went back for her one year MS evaluation. The doctor was seriously stoked by her improvement in balance, walking (used to use a cane!), and so on. She's really happy with her progress, but it was the doctor who was shocked! "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!"

                            Love that sort of stuff. No doubt you'll be off-the-charts healthy!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                              A client of mine went back for her one year MS evaluation. The doctor was seriously stoked by her improvement in balance, walking (used to use a cane!), and so on. She's really happy with her progress, but it was the doctor who was shocked! "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!"
                              That's wonderful. Was all that improvement from the yoga or were you also giving Primal nutritional advice?

                              Comment


                              • It was a combination of yoga and feldenkrais, mostly, though we happened to most the doctor who did the primal-DNA-MS TED talk on our face book page, and so no doubt she looked into it, since she asked me which cod liver oil we use.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X