No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was something that looked like lung tissue and one other mystery organ.
    the other mystery organ you should have taken pics of and posted them? there are books on butchery step by step so there should be web sites which you can prob work it out. i have never heard of the spleen being eaten. mind you, most hunters and people i know who home kill usually just throw all the organs away unless they have dogs which is such a waste. last time i went out, i got a wild hog so we didnt save the organs. i am not so keen on eating pig organs plus i shot it thru the middle. but... i was planning on also getting the lungs if i got a deer. i made some sausages with the ribmeat off the last deer so i was thinking of trying some oatmeal free haggis as it has lungs in. really just make it essentially as sausages with the organs and spices etc. leave out the oatmeal and put it into sausage skins instead of the stomach. if that works out, next time if i am feeling very brave, i will try it with the stomach lol

did you get the tongue?

i think the problem with all this conflicting information is alot of us have gotten to where we are the hard way. i, for example, was vege for way too many years. at the time i really believed i was doing the right thing and it was healthiest for me. it was only when the cracks started to appear and then started to gape that i started wondering. but even then, that took several years. so now i second guess everything. and unless you have obvious 2+2=4 symptoms something is wrong, it is like being a frog in a slow boiling pot. and our weight is usually the achilles heel of most women.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Next time you do that, freeze some of the meat and send it to me. I'll pay you for it. Seriously, the only venison I can find around here comes from New Zealand. Yours would be positively "locally grown" by comparison. Venison also makes really great pemmican.
      Will do; Deer season isn't going to start again where I live til...August or September or whenever. I'm also hoping to get an elk in the next 2 seasons (lottery system here). I'll get it processed and send you a care package. No charge.

Comment

• I think I've come to a new cutoff point about how to know when reboiling the bones anymore is not worth it. The bones are spent when the dog is not even interested in them. Sniff. Sniff. Nah! Nothing left there.

I know the mystery organ was not heart, liver or kidney, those I recognize. It was about the color and consistency of kidney but a different shape and it didn't have any of those white stringy things. The dog ate it after the first boiling so I can't take a picture at this point. He thought it was delicious.

To me the whole sugar burning vs fat burning thing just comes down to a test of basic intuitive logic. If Grok and his buddies had needed to stop every three hours to have a sugary snack, humanity would never have survived.

The tongue was included along with a big bulb of meat that looked like it came from the root of the tongue, the mouth floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
          Will do; Deer season isn't going to start again where I live til...August or September or whenever. I'm also hoping to get an elk in the next 2 seasons (lottery system here). I'll get it processed and send you a care package. No charge.
          I insist on at least paying the postage. And I just wrote your book a glowing review on Amazon (seriously).

Comment

• I know the mystery organ was not heart, liver or kidney, those I recognize. It was about the color and consistency of kidney but a different shape and it didn't have any of those white stringy things. The dog ate it after the first boiling so I can't take a picture at this point. He thought it was delicious
            maybe it was the testicle?!

To me the whole sugar burning vs fat burning thing just comes down to a test of basic intuitive logic. If Grok and his buddies had needed to stop every three hours to have a sugary snack, humanity would never have survived.
            i've been stuck out in the bush for 24 hrs with no food or fire. only a t-shirt, with a tinsy long sleeved polyprop underneath and a pair of jeans. it was the summer but it is not overly warm here even in the summer. i was out with someone who bodybuilds so does the whole eat loads of carbs thing. he was also about 15 yrs younger than me. what i noticed was i was fine. i didnt even get hungry. when we got wet, i wasnt cold. he got noticeable panicky when he got hungry. he did have a couple of sandwiches and a nut bar. each time he ate, he got better for a while. then went back downhill a few hours later. it was interesting indeed. so yeah. i am with you on grok but the usual counter arguement is just coz it was how it was, it didnt mean it was optimal.

what are you gonna do with the tongue?

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              maybe it was the testicle?!

i've been stuck out in the bush for 24 hrs with no food or fire. only a t-shirt, with a tinsy long sleeved polyprop underneath and a pair of jeans. it was the summer but it is not overly warm here even in the summer. i was out with someone who bodybuilds so does the whole eat loads of carbs thing. he was also about 15 yrs younger than me. what i noticed was i was fine. i didnt even get hungry. when we got wet, i wasnt cold. he got noticeable panicky when he got hungry. he did have a couple of sandwiches and a nut bar. each time he ate, he got better for a while. then went back downhill a few hours later. it was interesting indeed. so yeah. i am with you on grok but the usual counter arguement is just coz it was how it was, it didnt mean it was optimal.

what are you gonna do with the tongue?
              It could have been a testicle. Maybe it's a good thing I gave it to the dog.

I ususally cook tongue in the crockpot low and slow. any other good ideas?

I have a hiking buddy who is a serious cycling freak who pounds down gatorade and those gawdawful sugary gel blocks. He can bicycle for very long distances but he is alway the first one to give out in either extreme of temperature. I just sit there and watch him while he eats in the middle of the day as he marvels how I can possibly go from breakfast to dinner without eating.

The evolutionary argument is that it is optimal for us now because our genes are almost identical to paleolithic humans and they had 2.5 million years to develop to that point. We have only had 10,000 years to screw up what was working well. The other intuitive logic argument is simple nutrient density. And the nutrient density argument gets even stronger when you realize that the nutrients "on the label" of veggies are not very bio-available to us.

Comment

• i have these tongue recipes bookmarked to try

The Nasty Bits: Tongue Tied | Serious Eats : Recipes

the next two would need tweaking to ditch the sugar, lentils etc
                Ox tongue, oxtail and pigs' cheek recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian
                How to Prepare and Cook English Umble Pie Using Venison | Suite101

this one here has some good ideas. some of the recipes are ridiculously complicated with no pics so it all get confusing but i use the ideas for herbs etc for inspiration and then cook something i can eat.
                BBC - Food - Offal recipes

what i found with my bush experience was the mental effect of not eating on a sugar burner. it may just have been a personality thing but yeah. it was wild.

Comment

• Good tongue ideas. Thanks.

Yes,I have seen the mental transformation of my BFF who has gone Primal. She is an elderly lady who always used to plan everything around when and where there was going to be food and keep snacks in her purse "just in case". Now she can relax and just live. I think it does effect your brain chemistry. A lot of people experimenting with ketosis have reported feeling very focused and calm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Good tongue ideas. Thanks.

Yes,I have seen the mental transformation of my BFF who has gone Primal. She is an elderly lady who always used to plan everything around when and where there was going to be food and keep snacks in her purse "just in case". Now she can relax and just live. I think it does effect your brain chemistry. A lot of people experimenting with ketosis have reported feeling very focused and calm.
                    Yep this is me. I feel like I have just woken up. I am more aware of things going on around me (hard to explain exactly what I mean here), just feel more alive I guess you could say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                      Yep this is me. I feel like I have just woken up. I am more aware of things going on around me (hard to explain exactly what I mean here), just feel more alive I guess you could say.
                      Yep, I know the feeling. Ayla, please don't let Choco's narrow minded posts get under your skin. It's not worth raising your cortisol about. Choco is a young stud who thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything, and, even though he changes his position from time to time, he always states things as THE Absolute Truth.

He has never been anything other than young, male, and in great physical shape. No, he doesn't get it but it may take a few more decades before he does.
                      Last edited by Paleobird; 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Thanks PB, I don't know why I did let him get to me there. I was fuming! Argh! LOL. Over it now.
                        But I truly don't understand why people are even here who don't really follow a primal lifestyle. I know there are many variations, but some people seem so far from it, and seem to come here just to argue with those of us who this lifestyle is really working for.

Comment

• Bye bye Mr Spammer

Comment

Thanks PB, I don't know why I did let him get to me there. I was fuming! Argh! LOL. Over it now.
                            But I truly don't understand why people are even here who don't really follow a primal lifestyle. I know there are many variations, but some people seem so far from it, and seem to come here just to argue with those of us who this lifestyle is really working for.
                            At least Choco does a version of PB (now that he is past his UD2 phase which included refeeds on cake and which he conveniently edited out of his journals). He has now settled in to his "everything in moderation" stance which would be fine if he said, "This is what works for me". But he doesn't do that. He says this is how everybody SHOULD be eating and if they are not it is because they have some sort of disordered eating mental problem going on including but not limited to anorexia and food phobias. He keeps harping on "Eat real foods!" as if anyone here was arguing the opposite. He also keeps on about calories being the only real thing that matters after he *vehemently* and *at length* argued against me on my calorie counting threads back in the day. Now he talks like he invented the concept of calorie counting.

The people that bug me more are what Knifegill called Ray Peats disciples, "the sugar bees", Derpy, Zach, and company oh and Gorbag with his proudly stating that his excessive Diet Coke consumption is at least benign and maybe even good for you. Those people are not even trying to be Primal yet presuming to dole out Primal advice. Hopefully no newbies will be stupid enough to buy their bs.

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                            Bye bye Mr Spammer
                            Thank you for the spam removal. It's nice to have friends in the other hemisphere who take care of this before I even see it during my nighttime.

Comment

Some of us who don't really follow a primal lifestyle are still trying to get there. Some people are just argumentative. Some people are just ornery cusses who don't like to see anybody else happy, especially if they got that way by doing something the original person just can't handle doing.
                              Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• What else does Choco does...

Dispense his personal n=1, 20something, dude-bro whose never had a weight problem and only wanted to get buff, super pushy "wisdom"... to women who are 40 and have significant weight to lose and likely have a long history of a negative (yo-yo dieting, binge eating, whatever) relationship with food.

SMH.

It's NOT the same thing. Unless you read what he says in regard to diet/dieting/fat loss... then all humans are exactly equal.
                                Oh, really.
                                Last edited by cori93437; 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM.
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                                X