No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Christmas, Robin (and all Paleobird-Adventure-Followers)!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigi View Post
      Happy Christmas, Robin (and all Paleobird-Adventure-Followers)!
      Thank you Sigi. You folks in the other hemisphere always get a jump on things. It's still Christmas Eve here.

I'm going to Orange County for the day and evening to participate in my best friend's family gathering. They are a great bunch and very good cooks.

Comment

• That sounds like a lot of fun! We are doing the beach with neighbors. A group picnic and such.

DS is running around like a mad-man. Seriously, he is hepped up on the christmas energy. And this is with no candy, no presents, and no decorations. The boy is just . . . excited. LOL And we are exhausted because we stayed up too late watching comedy. You'd think we would learn.

The sun is shining bright and beautiful, so the beach is going to be lovely today.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          That sounds like a lot of fun! We are doing the beach with neighbors. A group picnic and such.

DS is running around like a mad-man. Seriously, he is hepped up on the christmas energy. And this is with no candy, no presents, and no decorations. The boy is just . . . excited. LOL And we are exhausted because we stayed up too late watching comedy. You'd think we would learn.

The sun is shining bright and beautiful, so the beach is going to be lovely today.
          Can I come visit? It's all grey and rainy here.

Dinner last night was lovely. My friend's son (who has inherited her ability to cook) made a huge brisket cooked in red wine and onions that was amazing. Other wise the dinner was "Italian Themed" i.e. a bunch of different kinds of pasta. I just stuck to the brisket, salad and veggies (and more brisket) and was happy as a Primal clam.

I did indulge in this awesome dessert that I think could definitely be paleofied. It was log made of one layer of cream cheese and one of a pumpkin mix then rolled up to make a spiral swirl in each slice. It was really pretty and a nice alternative to the ubiquitous cakes and pies. The pumpkin part was like a very moist pumpkin bread. That could be done with coconut flour. You see I wasn't really indulging in a dessert. I was studying it for the greater good of Primal research <wink, nudge>.

Tonight I am invited to the Christmas dinner of my friends and neighbors across the street. I gave them my Mom's old teak dining room table when I was cleaning out Dad's house. It will be kind of weird to have dinner tat the table I grew up with but in another house. My folks would be happy to know that there is another family using it though.

Comment

• Yes, you can come and visit any time, and no doubt every kiwi on the boards will host you.

It's so interesting to go through that process. . . of letting things go and then 'visiting' them. I think the pumpkin dessert sounds nice!

I made sweet potato pikelets (small pancakes) with my client's home made orange marmalade, and some whipped cream (no sugar, so good!) -- great little success there.

My ILs are here. I'm doing ok. lol

Comment

• Thank you Zoe. I may take you up on that one of these days after the house sells and I get all moved.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Comment

• So, did everybody survive Christmas dinner?

I drank a bit more wine than I really needed and indulged in this coconut, chocolate chip, nuts, and raisins bark that was TOO good.
                Otherwise I was good. I just had turkey and lots of veggies with butter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  So, did everybody survive Christmas dinner?

I drank a bit more wine than I really needed and indulged in this coconut, chocolate chip, nuts, and raisins bark that was TOO good.
                  I've been great at doing Primal for the last few days while I've been down here with the family. More 90% chocolate than usual, and WAY more wine than usual, but that's it. I even shot a deer and am making jerky with it as we speak. And being in small-town Texas is great. All the eggs my brother and his wife get are from a neighbor's chickens, all their milk is raw, and we have a grass-fed cow in the freezer.

PB, I hope your Christmas went well and you're doing OK with the void left by your dad's passing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    I've been great at doing Primal for the last few days while I've been down here with the family. More 90% chocolate than usual, and WAY more wine than usual, but that's it. I even shot a deer and am making jerky with it as we speak. And being in small-town Texas is great. All the eggs my brother and his wife get are from a neighbor's chickens, all their milk is raw, and we have a grass-fed cow in the freezer.

PB, I hope your Christmas went well and you're doing OK with the void left by your dad's passing.
                    Ooooh venison jerky. Cool. Venison also makes great pemmican. Sounds like you are well stocked.

Thank you, Anthony. Yes, I am managing very well because I have the greatest friends any person could ever want. They have gently but firmly been getting me out and about to dinners and parties, going for hikes and such.

All of the work is done as far as cleaning out the house, getting some repairs done on it, etc, so everything is ready for selling it Feb1. I just have a little time now in between to reflect which is nice.

Comment

So, did everybody survive Christmas dinner?

Wine and butter.
                      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                        Wine and butter.
                        Haha. Two of the four main holiday food groups.

Comment

• So, what do you all think about my plan to go mainly carnivorous in the near future? Has Paleobird gone off the deep end?

The more I think about it the more appealing it becomes. I really don't like vegetables all that much. There I said it. It takes a while to get past years and years of the mental and social conditioning that we are supposed to love those healthy fresh veggies. Hmm. I think there's a reason why it's always a battle to get kids to eat their veggies. The same reason that kids eat dirt. They know what is good for them and what is just taking up space.

I will keep some veggies as long as they are adding something of value to the meal.

1)High fat plants such as avocados, coconuts, and macadamia nuts
                          2)Flavoring agents such as onions, garlic, salsa
                          3)Decorative things such as a few cherry tomatoes
                          4)Veggies I genuinely like such as bell peppers and asparagus (but in decorative quantities around the edges)

5)Some carnivorous blogs seem to give a free pass to sea veggies and mushroom, technically not plants but algae and fungi respectively. I think this is cool because these are two of my favorites plus very sound nutritionally.

Some carnivore blogs say no to dairy and some say yes (kind of like Sisson and Cordain I guess). I am not giving up my dairy.

So, you see, I haven't gone completely loopy. Or have I? What do you think?

Comment

• I say that you should do and try what is appealing to you, and if it works for you, then great, and if not, then you change it and no harm done, really.

Comment

So, what do you all think about my plan to go mainly carnivorous in the near future? Has Paleobird gone off the deep end?

The more I think about it the more appealing it becomes. I really don't like vegetables all that much. There I said it. It takes a while to get past years and years of the mental and social conditioning that we are supposed to love those healthy fresh veggies. Hmm. I think there's a reason why it's always a battle to get kids to eat their veggies. The same reason that kids eat dirt. They know what is good for them and what is just taking up space.

I will keep some veggies as long as they are adding something of value to the meal.

1)High fat plants such as avocados, coconuts, and macadamia nuts
                              2)Flavoring agents such as onions, garlic, salsa
                              3)Decorative things such as a few cherry tomatoes
                              4)Veggies I genuinely like such as bell peppers and asparagus (but in decorative quantities around the edges)

5)Some carnivorous blogs seem to give a free pass to sea veggies and mushroom, technically not plants but algae and fungi respectively. I think this is cool because these are two of my favorites plus very sound nutritionally.

Some carnivore blogs say no to dairy and some say yes (kind of like Sisson and Cordain I guess). I am not giving up my dairy.

So, you see, I haven't gone completely loopy. Or have I? What do you think?
                              Sounds rather appealing to me. Does this mean more protein and less ketosis for The Bird? Or are you keeping vaguely the same macro ratios?
                              I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                I say that you should do and try what is appealing to you, and if it works for you, then great, and if not, then you change it and no harm done, really.
                                Yep, I've done some digging into vitamin and mineral contents of veggies and meats and have found that I really wouldn't be missing anything vital by skipping the veg. The nutrients they *contain* often looks impressive but what we can actually *absorb* is much lower.

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                                Sounds rather appealing to me. Does this mean more protein and less ketosis for The Bird? Or are you keeping vaguely the same macro ratios?
                                I think this will still be ketosis macros as long as I'm not eating skinless chicken boobs and whey powder as my protein (blech!). With the high fat dairy I eat plus my love for red meats and seafood like salmon, the fat and protein should come out about right. Taking most of the vegetation out of the picture just makes getting the carb level low enough so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X