Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Don your lucky undies and think positive thoughts.

Everything WILL be fine, we all know it. You kicked cancer's arse and it will not DARE to make another appearance!

Oh yeah, the pate sounds awesome. Add a few strips of bacon and some sherry to that recipe and it's how I make it.
    Thanks for the pep talk. Maybe I should take a picture of my rear in those undies for quelsen and Canio6. That might improve the number of men reading my journal.

I do put marsala in the pate sometimes but I was all out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigi View Post
      All of the above - done! May you receive the best of news very soon.
      Thank you Sigi. The darling vegan lady who did the mammogram said she would put a rush on it for me.

She was commenting as she squeezed my boob into the machine about what lovely skin I have and asking what kind of moisturizer I use. When I told her that I don't own any moisturizers, hand creams, lotions, etc. and that my skin moisture comes from the inside out due to eating meat, she told me that she was vegan but considering adding seafood due to anemia.

We had a really nice talk about it and agreed that Primal and Vegans are really on the same page about a lot of things like being against factory farming, being for all natural organic whole foods. The only grainy things she eats are quinoa, amaranth, spelt, etc., the "ancestral grains". She totally agreed about modern wheat and sugar being bad for you. I felt like taking her by the shoulder and shaking her and saying, "You are more than halfway to being Primal. Just eat some MEAT!"

It would actually be easier for someone like that to go Primal than someone coming at it from the SAD angle. Maybe that's why all the "I slipped and ate cookies" posts don't make any sense to me. I never ate cookies anyway. All I had to "give up" to go Primal was the brown rice and tofu. Not that hard.

Comment

• Well, I'm surprised that liver here is so expensive, but it is popular. Organ meats here have become vogue, so the price went right up! *annoying*

Tired today. The kiddo was wound up until 2 am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I need to buy a freezer chest.
          You don't have one? I have two!

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I have just had my 5 years post cancer check up with my oncologist and a mammogram.

Any and all well wishes, positive energies, crossed fingers, or prayers to the deity of your choice would be greatly appreciated.
          well wishes, positive energies, crossed fingers, prayers sent. You needn't worry, (as Em said) you have kicked cancer's ass!
          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
          "Moderation sucks." Suse
          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            Well, I'm surprised that liver here is so expensive, but it is popular. Organ meats here have become vogue, so the price went right up! *annoying*
            Well, let's hope we can keep it a better secret here. More for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
              You don't have one? I have two!

well wishes, positive energies, crossed fingers, prayers sent. You needn't worry, (as Em said) you have kicked cancer's ass!
              Thanks, WnC.

Dad and I managed to split up the bones between his freezer and mine. Since I'm doing most of the cooking these days and I was a mean food nazi and gave all his frozen tv dinners to the food bank, he has quite a bit of extra room in there.

Dad had a doctor visit yesterday too and his GP is very impressed with how the swelling has gone away in his legs since he started eating Primal. Not only that but his blood pressure has gone down by about 20 points. All in three weeks. How cool is that?

Comment

All in three weeks. How cool is that?
                Very. VERY. VERY. Cool!
                I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• that is super cool.

Comment

• Yep. The doctor was so impressed that she agreed to take him off of one of his four medications. That is a step in the right direction. Three pills instead of four every day. I'm so glad we have a good doctor who believes that less is more when it comes to medications. That's why I picked out a young one from the Kaiser book. My Dad a series of GPs before this who were older and steeped in decades of throwing a pill at every possible ailment.

Comment

Hello MDA friends, old and new. How's everybody doing?

I've only been peeking my head in to the boards once in a while lately. I kind of felt like I needed an MDA break. But, the journaling process was very helpful to me when I was first getting started and I think it could continue to be fun and helpful now. I started a new journal thread just because I was tired of the whole "cancer surviver" part in my old title. That is seeming more and more like a distant part of my past now and I don't want it to be my identity. Also the Kilimangaro part was fun but now it is time to move on to other horizons.

If anyone wants to get "caught up" on all 150 pages of my original journal, (or if you're having trouble sleeping and don't want to take a pill) you can find it here. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19105.html

Since I dropped off the boards in January, I have been on a six week tour of the Caribbean during which I turned 50.
                      I put on a few pounds during that cruise and have been trying to keep a few others from creeping back up on me. So I guess my original journal and my calorie counting threads were good for the losing weight phase. Now I'm in the "I've achieved everything I want so I can relax now, whoops!, where did that ten pounds come from?" stage. I think a lot of people probably go through this.

In my first journal I set out to go from a size 12 and 180 to a size 8 and 150. I got to a size 6 and 145. Now I'm at 155 and the 6s are tight so I haven't strayed too far but I don't want to let it get out of hand. So, I think it's time for some reflection, setting out what I am doing right and where I need to work on it.

What I'm doing right:

I really do eat 98% Primal. (The 2% is for social situations where you don't want to be a jerk, not treats)
                      All meat I cook is 100% grass fed/finished (I belong to a meat CSA)
                      Lots of fresh wild seafood and sea veggies (I had a dozen freshly shucked oysters for brunch yesterday)
                      Absolutely no desire for grain based anything
                      I never use sugar or sweeteners of any kind
                      I cook with butter or coconut oil and use olive or avocado oil for salads
                      Speaking of salads, lots of them plus lots of other veggies

I get lots of SoCal sunshine.
                      Plenty of restful sleep.
                      Minimal to non existant stress levels.

Where I need to do better :

I. NEED. MORE. EXERCISE. <Hits self over the head with The Giant Clue By Four>
                      When I was on the cruise I got in some good snorkeling some days but I got out of the habit of my LHT workouts and sprinting. Since I got home I have been going hiking once a week plus little walkies with the wolf cub but, overall, not walking nearly as often or as far as I was.

Allowing "special occasion" stuff to become staples like wine, cheese, dark chocolate, berries.

Letting quantities get out of hand on supposedly "safe" starches like sweet potatoes, parsnips, sushi rice.

Letting quantities get out of hand in social eating situations. (I hosted a party last night and ate/drank too much)

Letting quantities of everything get out of hand. Full stop.

OK, so back on track. We can do this.
                      Why do you consider cheese and berries as "special" occasion stuff?
                      well then

Comment

Well, I'm surprised that liver here is so expensive, but it is popular. Organ meats here have become vogue, so the price went right up! *annoying*
                        I find it tobe priced differently in two different parts of the supermarket. Look in the offal section (next to the dogfood) and it is cheaper.
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Gadsie,

because the primal blueprint is tailored to the individual needs.

I don't eat cheese and dairy because: 1. lactose intolerance, that 2. leads to inflammation. but as a second tier of concerns, I tend to 3. overeat it, which leads to problems with my health/weight.

What one of us chooses to do for ourselves is no reflection on what you should do.

You are not a 50 year old cancer survivor who is well aware of her own tastes, special needs and considerations. You are also not a 35 year old woman who has had times of hypothyroidism and a pituitary that affected her weight, such that she became aware of how food affects her thyroid health over time.

You are a 14 year old boy. You can and likely should just eat whatever you can and want to eat.

Comment

• There is no offal section next to the dog food. There is dog food (which is a decent place to get clean bones for broth), but there isn't offal there. The offal is in the meat section and/or at the butcher.

Comment

Gadsie,

because the primal blueprint is tailored to the individual needs.

I don't eat cheese and dairy because: 1. lactose intolerance, that 2. leads to inflammation. but as a second tier of concerns, I tend to 3. overeat it, which leads to problems with my health/weight.

What one of us chooses to do for ourselves is no reflection on what you should do.

You are not a 50 year old cancer survivor who is well aware of her own tastes, special needs and considerations. You are also not a 35 year old woman who has had times of hypothyroidism and a pituitary that affected her weight, such that she became aware of how food affects her thyroid health over time.

You are a 14 year old boy. You can and likely should just eat whatever you can and want to eat.
                              Alright, it was just a question though

AND I'm 15, it was my birthday yesterday
                              well then

Comment

• Well, happy birthday.

Comment

Working...
                                X