Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

Anthony, cara mia, you are an excellent writer. Thank you for sharing your European adventure with us. You remind me so much of myself at your age. It's remarkable how much the experience of being a student abroad has not changed in several decades. Too little sleep, too much booze, amazing adventures, foolish stunts that seemed like a good idea at the time, great friends and a few idiotic ones as well. You relate it all exquisitely.

I did the junior year of my undergrad work in southern France and my master's degree in Paris. In and around my studies I traveled to all the places you hit in your adventure with the exception of Scotland. I too found myself in the situation of having all documents stolen and trying to get some help from the US Embassy in London. They have a proud tradition it seems of being monumentally unhelpful.

I highly recommend giving Anthony's book a read. I was literally LOLing reading it.
    I don't even have a smartass reply. Thank you; I'm seriously flattered. I like that you were able to relate to it--I think the themes are kind of timeless for anyone with a sense of adventure.

Comment

• I de-spammed you (hopefully).

had a long work day today and I'm pretty fried. I think i'm going to go to bed early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        I don't even have a smartass reply. Thank you; I'm seriously flattered. I like that you were able to relate to it--I think the themes are kind of timeless for anyone with a sense of adventure.
        Yes, the themes are timeless but they are not always as well told as your account. Keep writing and let me know if anything else is published or if you need an editorial second pair of eyes pre-publishing.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
        I de-spammed you (hopefully).
        had a long work day today and I'm pretty fried. I think i'm going to go to bed early.
        Thank you, Zoe. You could start a service called "Spam Removal While You Sleep" for your friends in the other hemisphere.

Comment

• Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service.

Comment

Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service.
            I remember that feeling..... Much love your way.
            Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
            Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
            Starting Energy: "bleh...."
            Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
            Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Comment

Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service.
              Thinking of you. *hugs*
              I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Sending love for tomorrow.

And of course living a good life is the best memorial to both your parents.
                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Hope your Dad has a wonderful 'bon voyage' today. Thinking of you.

Comment

• Good luck; I hope you feel a good sense of closure and a celebration of a life well lived.

Comment

• I have some very good memories of my Mom's memorial service; tears and laughter both. Rituals like this are fulfilling for the soul. Enjoy every moment, Robin.

Comment

• Thinking of you today
                        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse
                        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• I hope that everything has gone well today.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by BONZ View Post
                            I remember that feeling..... Much love your way.
                            Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                            Thinking of you. *hugs*
                            Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                            Sending love for tomorrow.
                            And of course living a good life is the best memorial to both your parents.
                            Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                            Hope your Dad has a wonderful 'bon voyage' today. Thinking of you.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                            Good luck; I hope you feel a good sense of closure and a celebration of a life well lived.
                            Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                            I have some very good memories of my Mom's memorial service; tears and laughter both. Rituals like this are fulfilling for the soul. Enjoy every moment, Robin.
                            Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            Thinking of you today
                            Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                            I hope that everything has gone well today.
                            Thank you all. It was a lovely gathering. My father's oft cited reason why he didn't want a memorial service was that, when you live to an advanced age, you have outlived anybody who ever cared about you. Well, sorry Dad but you were wrong on that one. There were 15 people there today.

I had a hole pre-dug underneath the tangerine tree out in the front of his yard by the deck he built. This was the spot from which he always kept an eye on things in the neighborhood. He was like the Neighborhood Watch Committee all by himself.

So I placed the ashes in the hole and then asked each person in turn to introduce themselves and say something about their memories of Dad. Then as each person finished, they put a shovel full of dirt in the hole. In this way holding the shovel became like holding the talking stick. It was interesting to hear three generations worth of people relating their experiences having known him in different ways, as a neighbor, a co-worker, a friend of the family, etc. Really wonderful people each and every one.

For me saying goodbye to my Dad and saying goodbye to this house are all wrapped up together. It was so much a part of his identity. I think it is good that he stays here. He will always be keeping watch over the neighborhood.

Comment

• I do like your Dad's style. I could really "see" him standing there, keeping watch over the neighborhood!

I'm glad that the service was so simple and lovely, healing for everyone who attended. And, the tangerine tree is going to be very happy, too!

I think it's exciting that you are on to a new chapter, and I know that (you know, in so far as I believe in continuing on) your dad would be excited and proud of you too.

Comment

• That sounds perfect. I think every person deserves to have people who gather and remember them with love at the end of their life. I love the idea of the tree--we "planted" my mother's ashes under the roots of a beautiful cedar next to a trail that she loved. It's nice to think of something growing from that.
                                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X