Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
    Same people. The Gap sued them, so they changed the name.
    Ah, I see.

I ran across a couple of their tour groups while I was in Africa. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they took people into the parks like the Siringeti in big double deck buses instead of the smaller quieter jeeps the other tour companies used. The Gap tours mega buses would plow into an area in a cloud of noise and flying dirt and totally disrupt the wildlife that everyone else was trying to watch respectfully at a distance.

One time there were two lions stalking up to a watering hole where there were a bunch of zebras and wildebeests drinking. They were slowly moving in to set up their dash to try for a kill when in zooms the Gap bus. The lions went running off one direction and the potential prey another. Those of us who had been patiently and quietly sitting there hoping to see something interesting were left shaking our heads on a cloud of dust.

My guide said the Gap bunch were always doing that and that all the other guides found them really annoying.

Comment

• it's nearly getting to the best time of year to do the inca trail -- I hear that January is particularly exceptional, but not too hot.

I'll talk to my friend about how he did it. He and his friend had a guide and several porters who were amazing. He said that he saw things that few people saw, and one that he described to me was deviating from the normal train to MP, and the guide said it was "very much worth it." They were crazy with headaches and having the cocaine tea (or whatever that is), and were up very early. THey were a bit bitchy about it.

But, up the climb to hit this one spot right at mid-day. the guide was really pushing them, because he kept saying "we have to get there at midday!" and they were like "jesus, really? on time? out here?"

But here's the thing. Apparently there's a notch cut into the top of a mountain, and form it, you look down over MP -- it's never photographed from this direction. As you walk up to the notch, it's all covered in cloud, and nothing looks like it's ending. And it's like this every morning.

But if you get to the notch right at midday, the cloud clears just enough to explode the top of the mountain in rainbows (everywhere!), and then they race across MP. He said it was the most extraordinary thing he's ever seen in his life, and has zero pictures of it. He said it was as if the place was made of rainbows, emeralds, and aquamarine in the sky. Just . . . something else entirely.

He's not a religious man (in fact, a staunch atheist), but he was fairly certain that this was a supernatural place. Or at least, made him feel that way.

Comment

• Oh, That gave me chills.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• oh Zoebird! Thank you for relating his story. It's easy to forget their is magic in the world!
          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            it's nearly getting to the best time of year to do the inca trail -- I hear that January is particularly exceptional, but not too hot.

I'll talk to my friend about how he did it. He and his friend had a guide and several porters who were amazing. He said that he saw things that few people saw, and one that he described to me was deviating from the normal train to MP, and the guide said it was "very much worth it." They were crazy with headaches and having the cocaine tea (or whatever that is), and were up very early. THey were a bit bitchy about it.

But, up the climb to hit this one spot right at mid-day. the guide was really pushing them, because he kept saying "we have to get there at midday!" and they were like "jesus, really? on time? out here?"

But here's the thing. Apparently there's a notch cut into the top of a mountain, and form it, you look down over MP -- it's never photographed from this direction. As you walk up to the notch, it's all covered in cloud, and nothing looks like it's ending. And it's like this every morning.

But if you get to the notch right at midday, the cloud clears just enough to explode the top of the mountain in rainbows (everywhere!), and then they race across MP. He said it was the most extraordinary thing he's ever seen in his life, and has zero pictures of it. He said it was as if the place was made of rainbows, emeralds, and aquamarine in the sky. Just . . . something else entirely.

He's not a religious man (in fact, a staunch atheist), but he was fairly certain that this was a supernatural place. Or at least, made him feel that way.
            Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
            Oh, That gave me chills.
            Originally posted by Kymma View Post
            oh Zoebird! Thank you for relating his story. It's easy to forget their is magic in the world!
            I think I could use a little magic right about now. Maybe I will just put the whole to sell/rent.etc. question aside for a bit and go climb Machu Picchu and experience the rainbows.

Comment

• Nothing like a long walk to help with the letting go process and grief.
              My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• This taking car loads of stuff to the Goodwill is like an addictive rush. It feels so free and *light* as you drive away. I got a lot of stuff packed up and out today. My Dad's house is now completely cleaned out. Only major furniture left like beds, couches. At my game night out last night I was talking with a friend who is in escrow buying a new house and is very much interested in buying a bunch of my excess furniture so that could work out well. It's funny how these things just seem to mesh sometimes.

Next comes the "lightening the baggage load" at my house. Even in ten years of living in the same house, I have accumulated entirely too much stuff that I don't need.

Comment

• I love that process, too. It feels so light, especially if the stuff has gone someplace useful. I spent the weekend doing some of that with our paperwork. We used to have a four drawer file cabinet that was full, now it's down to a couple of boxes taped up in the garage that we have to keep for 10 years - all labelled so we don't have to open them again, just burn them - and one narrow file box with insurance papers etc. The cabinet, plus an old china cabinet and a desk will all go to an online auction site.

Today, though, I'm at work surrounded by papers as I try to sort out a conference presentation I'm giving in 2 days .
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• All this talk up there about hiking the Inca Trail reminded me that I had put together a photo journal after I did the hike a few years back. I talked to PB to see if she'd be interested in seeing it (she was), so I tracked it down online. The original place I had posted it had been bought out, the new place had rearranged everything, and it took me a while to get them all back in the (I think) correct order, then to share them I had to create a website....

Long story short, here is the link to see the pics from my Inca Trail hike. I took a couple of thousand pictures, then edited the good ones down to just a handful and added a caption to every single one, since one of my pet peeves is people who just upload every picture they took from a vacation. I like quality content. So...check it out if you're interested. Also let me know if there are any issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I think I could use a little magic right about now. Maybe I will just put the whole to sell/rent.etc. question aside for a bit and go climb Machu Picchu and experience the rainbows.
                      I think that is a great idea.
                      It might be too soon to think of selling.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Even in ten years of living in the same house, I have accumulated entirely too much stuff that I don't need.
                      We just moved after 25 years in the same house.
                      Imagine the stuff
                      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                      "Moderation sucks." Suse
                      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Thanks for the effort, Mr. Anthony. I have it on my list of "Things to check out tonight" while putting DS to bed. He likes to snuggle while I look at online pictures until he passes out. It's technically bad for him, but we enjoy it, so it's good for us.

PB, I'll ask my friend which outfit he used and whether or not that particular spot had a name so that you can request it.

I think putting the house question on hold for the right now is a very good idea. It's nearly the best time for inca trail walking, so you could get a good walk in for sure. And no doubt you have enough reserves to do well.

I also love letting go of stuff. We just took a bunch of clothes to the kindy (stuff that couldn't be sold), and I'm getting rid of several chairs (going to replace). Also was able to get a recycler to remove the dryer that doesn't exactly work, so that we could hang another drying rack in there as well as our one outside and our line outside. That should be done this weekend! Returned a lot of stuff to neighbors and friends (yay), and reorganized what we have.

DH and I still ahve to toy cull. (I managed to get rid of broken ones this weekend without DS noticing, but I still need to go through soft toys and get rid of the stinky ones (putting them in a case, which is not a good plan, but. . . so that if DS wants them I can dig them out and wash them). And, I'm going to let go of several puzzles (giving them to a neighbor whose autistic boy is just getting into them). DS will still have his favorites, though, because he uses those.

It is totally addictive to declutter!

Comment

• Hi PB. I need some advice, if that's OK?

When I tried ketosis before, I had the experience of feeling amazing, but in my effort to find different things to eat I ended up re-flaring my IBS on coconut or too much protein or avodaco. I also ended up eating very little, followed by being ravenous, which also flared me. I gave up, and since then it's been a rocky road, but I have managed to completely detox from artificial sweeteners and caffeine for over a month. That's the hardest thing I've ever done. My IBS is horrible at present, so I want to give ketosis another try.

I need some ideas about what and how much to eat.

I have to exclude all nuts, seeds, dairy, and raw veges. I can tolerate smallish amounts of coconut cream, well cooked brassicas, leafy greens, and other veges (pumpkin, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peas). Sometimes I have real difficulty digesting cold or reheated proteins, or too many eggs. Overeating flares me, too - so letting myself get so hungry that I can't stop eating is a bad move.

On the plus side, I don't seem to have much trouble with digesting fat.

With those parameters, can you suggest some meals? I also need to plan for days when I drive a lot - things that don't need to be refrigerated and can be eaten with fingers.

I felt so good for some of the time last time - I want it back, but consistently this time! Any help is very gratefully received.

(I've tried probiotics and digestive enzymes - they flared me. I have lots of healing to do, so part of my motivation with ketosis is to completely avoid flares for a really long time to allow healing)
                          Last edited by Jac; 11-19-2012, 01:36 AM.
                          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

My thanks to all of you that have been so supportive. It means a lot to me.

My Dad passed away last night about 7pm. It was peaceful and calm. He just stopped breathing and his heart stopped. I was holding his hand. He just decided it was time and shut things down.

In death as in life he was gracious, dignified, sweet, gentle, and efficient. He would not have wanted to linger on in a helpless condition any longer than necessary. He lived well and he died well.

I feel fortunate to have had the best father in the world.
                            shalom
                            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Mr. Anthony Those pics rocked. I love the one of you sitting on the ledge above Machu Picchu. I am a Spanish teacher and would love to take a field trip. HMMM
                              Primal since 9/24/2010
                              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Ah, I see.

I ran across a couple of their tour groups while I was in Africa. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they took people into the parks like the Siringeti in big double deck buses instead of the smaller quieter jeeps the other tour companies used. The Gap tours mega buses would plow into an area in a cloud of noise and flying dirt and totally disrupt the wildlife that everyone else was trying to watch respectfully at a distance.

One time there were two lions stalking up to a watering hole where there were a bunch of zebras and wildebeests drinking. They were slowly moving in to set up their dash to try for a kill when in zooms the Gap bus. The lions went running off one direction and the potential prey another. Those of us who had been patiently and quietly sitting there hoping to see something interesting were left shaking our heads on a cloud of dust.

My guide said the Gap bunch were always doing that and that all the other guides found them really annoying.
                                That's disappointing to hear. I wonder if that was an issue with those guides for that site or if it's an endemic problem? My brother is in an ecotourism degree program and was saying that G is considered one of the model businesses for ethical ecotourism setups because of their partnership models and relationship building with communities.
                                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X