Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PB how lovely that your dads friend shared his feeling with you. So often only the family get to hear those memories after a person has passed away, please share that memory with your dad in his lucid time so he knows that his friend loves him.
    You have such a hard road to travel with your dads illness and I think of you often and can't imagine how you are coping as well as you seem to be.
    Love and light
    Jackie
    link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

    Comment


    • Hey Paleobird -

      still lurking here, and still in awe of your relationship (you and Dad). It constantly reminds me of what a whole, healthy family should look like. Hugs to both of you. And how much fermented foodstuff did you end up with when Betorq headed home? I grinned when I read about your kitchen smelling of fermented GARLIC (I adore, adore, adore garlic). Just wondering if the both of you have eaten all of it already.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jacmac View Post
        PB how lovely that your dads friend shared his feeling with you. So often only the family get to hear those memories after a person has passed away, please share that memory with your dad in his lucid time so he knows that his friend loves him.
        You have such a hard road to travel with your dads illness and I think of you often and can't imagine how you are coping as well as you seem to be.
        Love and light
        Jackie
        Thanks, Jackie. That buddy of my Dad's has always been kind of an honorary uncle to me since they have been friends since I was a little kid. He's a great guy. Very talkative and animated. It always perks my Dad up when he comes to visit.

        Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
        Hey Paleobird -

        still lurking here, and still in awe of your relationship (you and Dad). It constantly reminds me of what a whole, healthy family should look like. Hugs to both of you. And how much fermented foodstuff did you end up with when Betorq headed home? I grinned when I read about your kitchen smelling of fermented GARLIC (I adore, adore, adore garlic). Just wondering if the both of you have eaten all of it already.
        Thanks, you lurker, you.
        Yes, Betorq left me with more sauerkraut and pickled garlic than I will be able to eat in my lifetime. The above mentioned honorary Uncle is Armenian and a real garlic fan so I have been giving him some jars. He just chomps thought garlic like popcorn (maybe one of the reasons he's so healthy at 82).


        Dad is really winding down quickly. He hasn't eaten more than a couple of bites for two days. I have been making him protein shakes and manage to get him to take a few sips but that is about it. I think his body knows on some level and is just running the systems shutdown program right now. It's hard to watch.

        Comment


        • So sorry PB. I know how incredibly hard this can be. My heart aches for you.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

          Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Yes, Betorq left me with more sauerkraut and pickled garlic than I will be able to eat in my lifetime. The above mentioned honorary Uncle is Armenian and a real garlic fan so I have been giving him some jars.
            You have been giving away JARS?! Oh, wow... I thought you had like, a jar or two each of different stuff, but jars of just garlic?! I SO have to know how he peeled all of that!

            Your dad is eating poorly? Damn.

            I was thinking of you, actually, before this. I just got a phone call from my best friend - her breast biopsy came back positive. Hers isn't advanced (she caught it at the earliest possible stage, from mammography), is milk duct and not tissue, and seems to have excellent outcomes, so she isn't scared witless, even tho she had a good hard cry and is now in "Let's deal with this NOW" mode. But still.

            Sigh. Humans should actually live 200 years like Vulcans... it takes us so long to get wise, and just as we get there, we get no time to hang out and really use and pass on our hard-won knowledge. Ptooey.
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

            Comment


            • Thinking of you, Paleobird, and sending prayers for you and your Dad.

              Comment


              • Sending love, Paleobird.
                Started Feb 18 2011

                Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                Journalling here

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                  So sorry PB. I know how incredibly hard this can be. My heart aches for you.
                  Thank you Paula.

                  Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                  You have been giving away JARS?! Oh, wow... I thought you had like, a jar or two each of different stuff, but jars of just garlic?! I SO have to know how he peeled all of that!

                  Your dad is eating poorly? Damn.

                  I was thinking of you, actually, before this. I just got a phone call from my best friend - her breast biopsy came back positive. Hers isn't advanced (she caught it at the earliest possible stage, from mammography), is milk duct and not tissue, and seems to have excellent outcomes, so she isn't scared witless, even tho she had a good hard cry and is now in "Let's deal with this NOW" mode. But still.

                  Sigh. Humans should actually live 200 years like Vulcans... it takes us so long to get wise, and just as we get there, we get no time to hang out and really use and pass on our hard-won knowledge. Ptooey.
                  We are not talking just jars. We are talking about cases of mason jars. Don't tell him I ratted him out but he didn't peel it all. He bought the cloves pre-peeled.

                  My heart goes out to your friend. I know how getting that biopsy news is. But I think she has a good attitude and good friends obviously, so she will be able to beat this.

                  Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                  Thinking of you, Paleobird, and sending prayers for you and your Dad.
                  Thanks, Sabine.

                  Originally posted by Jac View Post
                  Sending love, Paleobird.
                  Thanks Jac.

                  Well, last night things went south in a big way. Dad tried to get out of bed and took a tumble onto the floor. I had to call the paramedics because I couldn't get him back into bed and was afraid of hurting him if I pushed or pulled on anything injured. He wasn't coherent enough to tell me what did or didn't hurt. So a night spent in the ER with backboards, c-spine collars, florescent lights, bad cafeteria coffee, all in a blur. I spent most of the night curled up on a spare gurney that was being "temporarily" stored in the hallway while they do some remodeling. They kept shooing me out of my Dad's ER room every time a new trauma victim would come in. One was a rollover vehicle accident survivor. Fucking hellish night. The only blessing is that my Dad is so far out of it mentally at this point that he doesn't really know or much care what is going on. I stumbled home at dawn, caught some sleep, ate, and then went back and have been there all day. He is just mumbling at this point. I got him to drink a few sips of water and some of that yucky Ensure stuff (get your calories any way you can when push comes to shove) but it's been four days now that he has hardly eaten at all.

                  It feels weird to come home to an empty house. My sister is flying in tomorrow. The dog is bouncing up in my lap and trying to re-assure me that the house in not empty and that everything will be OK.

                  Comment


                  • Oh, Paleobird. Sending you some strength and peaceful thoughts for yourself and your father.

                    Comment


                    • Sending love to you and your dad.
                      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                      Comment


                      • I feel helpless - I'd love to come and support you, cook your dinner, put clean sheets on your bed. I know you're strong. I also know this is what you were preparing for when you came home from Kili. But that doesn't help now, and I'm just a stranger, thousands of miles away. All I can do is send love - and I do.
                        Started Feb 18 2011

                        Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                        Journalling here

                        Comment


                        • Oh Robin, my heart goes out to you. xo
                          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

                          Oscar Wilde

                          Comment


                          • Robin, I'm sending you love and support, we are thinking of you <3
                            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                            "Moderation sucks." Suse
                            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


                            Winencandy

                            Comment


                            • Sending love and thoughts and hoping for what peace and comfort you can find right now.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                              Owly's Journal

                              Comment


                              • Like the others, I'm thinking of you and sending *hugs*.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X