Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll dump my stuff here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And why am I craving carbs so bad? I have just eaten all the fat and protein in the world, and I've been sitting on my ass all day but I really want apples or something. Or rice pudding, that sounds good

    Edit: It's a miracle, I found 2 apples and rice pudding. Ate it all and now my tummy is smiling
    Last edited by Gadsie; 06-04-2012, 05:01 AM.
    well then

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
      And why am I craving carbs so bad? I have just eaten all the fat and protein in the world, and I've been sitting on my ass all day but I really want apples or something. Or rice pudding, that sounds good

      Edit: It's a miracle, I found 2 apples and rice pudding. Ate it all and now my tummy is smiling
      Because you are growing.

      Comment


      • Like what teach said. It is metabolically inefficient to make sugars out of meat proteins, but you need an awful lot of sugars for growth and muscle development, because cell division takes sugar. I crave carbs in the days following a lifting session, and I am not growing. You are going to need carbs all the time. Eat more potatoes? Low carb if for adults trying to lose weight.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by billp View Post
          Like what teach said. It is metabolically inefficient to make sugars out of meat proteins, but you need an awful lot of sugars for growth and muscle development, because cell division takes sugar. I crave carbs in the days following a lifting session, and I am not growing. You are going to need carbs all the time. Eat more potatoes? Low carb if for adults trying to lose weight.
          Well, I thought going a little lower on carbs on rest days would be beneficial since it increases insulin sensitivity so when you lift weights the next day and carb load afterwards you will benefit from this because all the carbs will go to your muscles and your muscles grow faster. I'm pretty sure I've read that theory a lot around here, and not just from overweight people. I could be wrong though
          well then

          Comment


          • It sucks though cause I'm really full now and I really don't want dinner anymore. But my parents won't allow me to skip dinner of course, which is fine, it just doesn't feel very good to go against my body's will
            well then

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              Well, I thought going a little lower on carbs on rest days would be beneficial since it increases insulin sensitivity so when you lift weights the next day and carb load afterwards you will benefit from this because all the carbs will go to your muscles and your muscles grow faster. I'm pretty sure I've read that theory a lot around here, and not just from overweight people. I could be wrong though
              Power lifters in their mid-twenties are not growing any more, and are very very fit. You are still growing and are not a hyper-fit power lifter who is already at his near-max muscle development. Those kind of body-builder tricks are not suitable for someone starting out at 15.

              Cell division takes sugar. When you grow and make muscle, you use sugar, because growing is cell division. This is incidentally why cancer victims crave sugar too. Rest days are when your muscles grow, and when you grow.

              The whole thing about insulin sensitivity is more relevant to older overweight people who have years of damage from grain abuse. You at 15 are not a twenty-something powerlifter, and you are not a overweight man between the age of 30 and 55. You insulin level already regulates itself fine and you have no reason to believe you are insulin insensitive. Anyway, you can safely eat carbs when you fancy them, which is going to be a lot.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by billp View Post
                Power lifters in their mid-twenties are not growing any more, and are very very fit. You are still growing and are not a hyper-fit power lifter who is already at his near-max muscle development. Those kind of body-builder tricks are not suitable for someone starting out at 15.

                Cell division takes sugar. When you grow and make muscle, you use sugar, because growing is cell division. This is incidentally why cancer victims crave sugar too. Rest days are when your muscles grow, and when you grow.

                The whole thing about insulin sensitivity is more relevant to older overweight people who have years of damage from grain abuse. You at 15 are not a twenty-something powerlifter, and you are not a overweight man between the age of 30 and 55. You insulin level already regulates itself fine and you have no reason to believe you are insulin insensitive. Anyway, you can safely eat carbs when you fancy them, which is going to be a lot.
                I understand I'm not an overweight 40 year old guy but I don't want to [I]become[I] overweight either when I'm 40. It is better to prevent than to cure.

                Oh and look what my mom just came home with, I didn't even tell her about it, it's like she can read my mind http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share
                Btw, I rechecked the ingredients, and the only glucose syrup is in the coating of the macadamia nuts
                well then

                Comment


                • You are not doing any of the things that lead a man to be overweight by the time he is forty, because you are not living of grains and grain-products like beer, and you are not sitting down all the time.

                  Failing to carb cycle like a body builder will do you good overall. Eating in a way contrary to your manifest need for carbs during rest days will not be as good for you. You are craving them for a reason (unlike a 40 year old man craving beer and doughnuts for no reason).
                  Last edited by billp; 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by billp View Post
                    You are not doing any of the things that lead a man to be overweight by the time he is forty, because you are not living of grains and brain-products like beer, and you are not sitting down all the time.

                    Failing to carb cycle like a body builder will do you good overall. Eating in a way contrary to your manifest need for carbs during rest days will not be as good for you. You are craving them for a reason (unlike a 40 year old man craving beer and doughnuts for no reason).
                    Haha I don't really think I "failed". I didn't try to resist the tempation of eating that rice pudding, because I, like you said, figured it'd be best to listen to my body. It's just that it's kind of a game for me. I like to be all like "I will eat high-carb on workout days and low carb on rest days" I just enjoy doing it. But maybe I shouldn't
                    well then

                    Comment


                    • I really gotta quit counting cals and shit, it sucks. But then I'll end up either stuffed or hungry at the end of the day
                      well then

                      Comment


                      • It amazes me you are able to count calories at all. I wouldn't be able to. I just switch off. I don't even weigh things.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by billp View Post
                          It amazes me you are able to count calories at all. I wouldn't be able to. I just switch off. I don't even weigh things.
                          Yeah it sucks..
                          well then

                          Comment


                          • I don't see how I NEED to eat carbs after every workout when you probably got enough glycogen in your liver for at least 24-48 hours. I'd say the only essential thing after a workout is protein. I don't think carb timing is really all that important?
                            well then

                            Comment


                            • I need to cut dairy a bit, My skin is getting worse since I've been upping my dairy intake
                              well then

                              Comment


                              • Carb timing is not important. I am saying that during your period of recovery in the days after a gym visit you will need (and crave) carbs, because you will be doing a lot of cell division to repair existing muscles and to grow new ones, as well as to grow.

                                The reason I know that is that I haven't craved sugar for years, but now when I lift weights, in the days after I get this - ping - that I never used to get, where I want ice cream. I can eat it and feel fine, and I don't feel right until I do, or something similarly sugary. And I don't get a sugar hangover, or a sugar rush, like I was used to get. Sugar is a carb. Same stuff really.

                                Now, I haven't been able to do that in years. The last time I could metabolise sugar like that was, well, when I was a child and until some time in my late teens. So it makes sense to me. You are more active than me, and you are growing, and you will have a faster metabolism. So if I need sugar in those circumstances, you are going to need more.

                                I don't know why you are even thinking about glycogen. Only diabetics worry about glycogen. Healthy people just make it when they need it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X