No announcement yet.

I'll dump my stuff here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Gadsie; 10-24-2012, 06:23 AM.
    well then

Comment

Last edited by Gadsie; 10-24-2012, 06:24 AM.
      well then

Comment

well then

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
          This is more likely due to the fact that those people would be snacking, possibly every hour. You on the other hand, just eat meals.

Don't feel weird, just eat. You may convert some of them when they can see that you are well built, but eating as much as you want. It is THE diet wet dream everyone unhealthy thinks about.
          Please tell me about all the normal teenage guys who don't eat as much as they want. People who aren't experiencing problems with how they eat at the present moment rarely change how they eat. Nobody expects to be unhealthy in 20 years when they are healthy in the present. If some of his friends (only if they aren't experiencing some health issues) decide to convert to a primal diet, I'll travel to Africa, illegally transfer an elephant to Australia, shoot a down a kangaroo while riding the elephant, sell the kangaroo meat for $1,000, take the $1,000 and buy one thousand lottery tickets, win the lottery, take my the private jet I just bought around the world 5 times and parachute down to Gadsie's house to congratulate him on converting his friend. That's how unlikely it is.
          Last edited by SteakNchop; 05-26-2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• if you go 3-5 hrs between meals, you should be fine, btu finding the right alchemy to get there is the tough part. it's about learning about yourself.

i'll talk about my husband, because it turns out that there is a "miracle body type" that has trouble putting on and keeping on fat. it's commonly called an ectomorph.

now, can ectomorphs get fat? the answer to this is actually yes. DH gained a lot of excess fat (and muscle) for a time because he was consuming a TON of skim milk and protein powder. The sugars and such did him in, as well as being low fat.

he then did a paleo diet for 6 months, was much more satisfied, had better results in the gym, and got back to a normal leanness. eating this way -- paleo -- has been great for DH because he maintains his leanness, eats less volume than before (which was tough on him early on -- that "stuffed" feeling isn't great, and being hungry every 1.5-2 hrs wasn't cool either), and can gain muscle.

Being a teen, your metabolism is going to be even faster. it's just the nature of the beast. DH was hungry *all the time* as a teen, and his mother was insistent that he should not "overeat" and controlled his calories somewhere around 1500-1800. Can you imagine if you were only allowed to eat that much? It's why DH is too short -- technically, his growth plates calcified because he didn't' have enough calories to GROW as tall as his bones would allow. From x-rays, it's estimated that he would have grown to about 5 ft 10 inches or 5 ft 11 inches, and yet he's only 5 ft 7 inches. That's a lot of growth that he missed out on based on his mother's food/body obsessions.

anyway, in regards to eating the right amounts, you don't have to wait until you are "starving" to eat. If you feel the urge to eat something, then do. And eat until you are satisfied -- not stuffed. Satisfied is where your stomach feels comfortable, there's a little bit of space in there so that if you did have ice cream, a scoop or two (say a cup) would make you feel "stuffed."

to avoid volume issues, consuming about 50% of your calories per day in fats will help. fat has higher calories and lower volume, and also has a 'slow burn.' this means it will 'hold you' longer.

When DH was on the zone -- with 40% calories from carbohydrates, he actually was hungry *all the time* as it were. But when he went paleo/primal, he discovered that 3 meals a day is really all that he needs -- though he does like to have one or two 'snacks' as part of the equation (food anxiety issues, really), so he calculates that into the way that he eats.

But, he did notice that when he's relaxed and not time-bound, he'll eat an average of two meals and one snack a day -- which will still reach about 2500-3000 calories in a day. Today -- a hard workout day for him -- was at 3200 across two meals and one snack.

He is still lean, and he just turned 40. Right now, he's at 10% body fat. He was as low as 8% earlier in the year, but with the transition to the gym and winter, he started eating sweet potato twice a week. He's now cut that in half (one sweet potato cut in half and each eaten after the work-out), and he leaned out again.

his current ratios are 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbohydrate -- with the carbohydrates being all from veggies, fruit, and one sweet potato. Average daily intake between 2500 and 3000 calories per day.

The reality is that your primary concern is simply over eating, when right now your main concern should be figuring out your hunger signals and how to work with them, to work with your body's needs, and go forward from there.

Honestly, you will be fine.

And for social stuff -- like when your friends bring junk food, etc -- you are free to not eat it. If you make a comment, you can say that you are not hungry, or that you don't prefer those foods. You don't have to go on about ingredients or health or whatever. If you have other feelings around these foods (why can they eat them? or how can they do that? or why can't i?) then those are other issues to discuss/address. But if it's a simple issue of "I don't want to have to explain myself, so I'll isolate myself instead" -- then that's just a "get over yourself" sort of situation. If they care, then you can talk about it, but if they don't, you can just be like "no, not interested." or whatever. Or take your own "junk foods" that you like (meaning, for example, taking bacon or home made jerky or whatever).

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              if you go 3-5 hrs between meals, you should be fine, btu finding the right alchemy to get there is the tough part. it's about learning about yourself.

i'll talk about my husband, because it turns out that there is a "miracle body type" that has trouble putting on and keeping on fat. it's commonly called an ectomorph.

now, can ectomorphs get fat? the answer to this is actually yes. DH gained a lot of excess fat (and muscle) for a time because he was consuming a TON of skim milk and protein powder. The sugars and such did him in, as well as being low fat.

he then did a paleo diet for 6 months, was much more satisfied, had better results in the gym, and got back to a normal leanness. eating this way -- paleo -- has been great for DH because he maintains his leanness, eats less volume than before (which was tough on him early on -- that "stuffed" feeling isn't great, and being hungry every 1.5-2 hrs wasn't cool either), and can gain muscle.

Being a teen, your metabolism is going to be even faster. it's just the nature of the beast. DH was hungry *all the time* as a teen, and his mother was insistent that he should not "overeat" and controlled his calories somewhere around 1500-1800. Can you imagine if you were only allowed to eat that much? It's why DH is too short -- technically, his growth plates calcified because he didn't' have enough calories to GROW as tall as his bones would allow. From x-rays, it's estimated that he would have grown to about 5 ft 10 inches or 5 ft 11 inches, and yet he's only 5 ft 7 inches. That's a lot of growth that he missed out on based on his mother's food/body obsessions.

anyway, in regards to eating the right amounts, you don't have to wait until you are "starving" to eat. If you feel the urge to eat something, then do. And eat until you are satisfied -- not stuffed. Satisfied is where your stomach feels comfortable, there's a little bit of space in there so that if you did have ice cream, a scoop or two (say a cup) would make you feel "stuffed."

to avoid volume issues, consuming about 50% of your calories per day in fats will help. fat has higher calories and lower volume, and also has a 'slow burn.' this means it will 'hold you' longer.

When DH was on the zone -- with 40% calories from carbohydrates, he actually was hungry *all the time* as it were. But when he went paleo/primal, he discovered that 3 meals a day is really all that he needs -- though he does like to have one or two 'snacks' as part of the equation (food anxiety issues, really), so he calculates that into the way that he eats.

But, he did notice that when he's relaxed and not time-bound, he'll eat an average of two meals and one snack a day -- which will still reach about 2500-3000 calories in a day. Today -- a hard workout day for him -- was at 3200 across two meals and one snack.

He is still lean, and he just turned 40. Right now, he's at 10% body fat. He was as low as 8% earlier in the year, but with the transition to the gym and winter, he started eating sweet potato twice a week. He's now cut that in half (one sweet potato cut in half and each eaten after the work-out), and he leaned out again.

his current ratios are 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbohydrate -- with the carbohydrates being all from veggies, fruit, and one sweet potato. Average daily intake between 2500 and 3000 calories per day.

The reality is that your primary concern is simply over eating, when right now your main concern should be figuring out your hunger signals and how to work with them, to work with your body's needs, and go forward from there.

Honestly, you will be fine.

And for social stuff -- like when your friends bring junk food, etc -- you are free to not eat it. If you make a comment, you can say that you are not hungry, or that you don't prefer those foods. You don't have to go on about ingredients or health or whatever. If you have other feelings around these foods (why can they eat them? or how can they do that? or why can't i?) then those are other issues to discuss/address. But if it's a simple issue of "I don't want to have to explain myself, so I'll isolate myself instead" -- then that's just a "get over yourself" sort of situation. If they care, then you can talk about it, but if they don't, you can just be like "no, not interested." or whatever. Or take your own "junk foods" that you like (meaning, for example, taking bacon or home made jerky or whatever).
              The problem is that while I'm eating I'm constantly hungry. It doesn't stop. When I stop eating and wait half an hour that's when realize how full I am. But I can't stop and wait for half an hour between every couple of bites I take (well I could but I would be busy eating all day)

And the reason it's easy to wait until I'm almost starving is because this is very easy to recognize. I think I got some kind of food addiction so it's impossible for me to feel the difference between a "mild hunger" and just wanting to eat
              well then

Comment

• it's mostly about observation.

for my husband, it's like a timer. it used to be that he would "feel hungry" which felt like 'starving.' I started to notice that about 30 minutes prior, he would start to get "antsy" -- like he needed to move around a lot or fidgety -- and his thoughts would start to dissipate a bit -- by which I mean he couldn't get ideas to come together at the normal speeds at which he can.

So, hunger actually feels much more "mild" for him than a stomach feeling, which is the point when he is "really really hungry/starving" -- and much more of an subtle, overall noticing that his body is changing directions ahead of his mind.

Then, with eating, there is something about speed. He used to shovel food into his mouth as fast as he could, largely because he was starving, and the emotional feeling of 'starving' was also part of the equation for him. so, he was eating it so quickly that he couldn't tune into any signals at all == all he felt was hungry hungry hungry. then a half-hour later, he felt stuffed and even to the point of sick sometimes.

so the fix for that -- eat more slowly. chew, swallow, take a breath, take a bite, chew, swallow, etc.

Comment

well then

Comment

• Forget it - you can see what was said below and then realized - whatever. Sorry for trying to help.
                    Last edited by roadannii; 05-26-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

well then

Comment

well then

Comment

• no, you don't have to think after each bite. you really just need to calm down.

if you eat slowly, then you'll get a feel for what your body feels like when eating, while not bing stuck in your head trying to think about how you should/might be eating.

You could also choose a random number -- like 2500-3000 calories a day -- and measure out your food and get enough of it that way. Divide it into three meals of 840-1000 calories per meal, and you are good to go.

It might look something like this:

Breakfast: 4 eggs fried in 1 tbsp butter with 2 cups steamed broccoli and two oranges (880 calories with 65% fat; 16% protein; and 19% carbs).

Lunch: 300 g venison steak with 2 cups brussels sprouts with olive oil and whole-seed ground mustard (860 calories with 35% fat, 56% protein, 9% carbs).

Dinner: roasted chicken breast, thigh, and leg (roughly half the chicken) with 4 cups salad greens, 1 whole tomato, 1/2 cucumber, and 1 whole bell pepper plus flax oil and vinegar dressing plus 1 large sweet potato (852 calories with 42% protein; 36% fat; 22% carb).

This leaves you plenty of space for your chocolate, too. It puts you in at 2592 calories per day, which is a good place to start, and then that gives you another 400+ to go in a couple of snacks if you want/need them. You might not.

I was using fit day to get these estimates, which gives the whole profile of your day if you want to really know what you are getting, how much, etc. Don't under or over estimate, try to give a realistic amount (or actually weigh/measure out your food).

None of these seems like "a lot of food" to me. Each one is a plate full, and then if you have two 200 calorie snacks (say, 50g chocolate for each one), and there you have it 3000 calories in a day.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal, and you should be satisfied by this diet overall. It's pretty normal.

Comment

well then

Comment

• [..
                              well then

Comment

Last edited by Gadsie; 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM.
                                well then

Comment

Working...
                                X