No announcement yet.

Confessions of a Sugar Addict

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol I'll have to look for this post. I agree with the reduced internet usage. Ours was "out" off and on last night and I finally got frustrated and just closed up my laptop and walked away. Did dishes instead. I'm more productive when there's no internet... but the internet is my "downtime" at home as DH is usually watching something stupid on tv (like Sports Center) or the kids have taken the remote hostage and are watching their own shows (Nick Jr, anyone??).

I'm off to find this post now.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Fellow sugar addict here! I can totally relate to your posts - bingeing when I'm tired and should probably take a nap instead, etc.

Finally figured out that fat plus sugar is the ultimate landslide combo for me eg dates stuffed with cheese/almond butter. I start on that and before I know it I am cycling out of the house to buy a whole mud cake like I'm possessed. Boo.

Anyway I'm on Day 3 of 21 DSD, have you tried it? I'm keeping butter and cheese because letting go of sugar is tough enough for me! And thankfully I don't binge on cheese the way I do on sugar and grains.

Comment

Cheese is like a saving grace for me when cutting out sugar! I may eat a tad too much of it sometimes, but hey, 200 cal of cheese is better than 200 of sugar!!

Comment

Jenn - It was his post yesterday, so should be pretty easy to find I actually was inspired last night and didn't turn it on when I got home, which meant I didn't have my usual yogurt and berries and nuts, which meant I went to bed and got more sleep! Woot!

Jacq - the other night I was at a restaurant and we had dates stuffed with cheese and than wrapped with bacon. OOOOOOOHEMGEE yum. What is DSD? I'm intrigued...

Montana - I love cheese, but it's definitely a gateway for me...leads to binging on all sorts of things. Weirdly, it's mostly goat cheese that causes this, hard cheeses don't do it as much.

ANYWHOS...

Yesterday was not perfect, but all in all not bad.

Breakfast - 3 eggs, roast beef and sauteed spinach, BP Coffee
          Lunch - Leftover salmon, homemade cole slaw, a handful of walnuts and pecans (for fat), then a spoonful of almond butter and 1.5 85% chocolate squares
          Dinner - Supped with a friend who is the opposite of primal (Which used to be our biggest commonality) but we managed! I had a few spoonfuls of cole slaw before leaving to prevent me from gorging on cheese in preparation, but it worked! Didn't binge. Dinner was taco bowls - sauteed chicken, onions and peppers, homemade guac, tomatoes, lettuce, and a few spoonfuls of pinto beans (why did I, it wasn't necessary!!!). No cheese. Ended with mango and a few chocolate squares and then she insisted on me trying her vegan strawberry banana bread (CURSE).

Went out with a friend afterwards for drinks and bluegrass, and could finish only about half of my beer. I don't know what it was, whether I Was too full or what, but I just can't do the gluten anymore! It hurts! And makes me phlegmy.

OKAY, good things about yesterday -

- With the exception of coleslaw, no snacks
          - super primal up until desert and beer
          - beer is no longer tasty to me (Forgot to mention I had a few sips at my friends house and just thought it was pretty unfortunate). That's a lie, the hoegaarden was good
          - Food really brings people together, and unfortunately tears people apart as well (see below).

Okay, now my beefs with life
          - The friend I had dinner with pretty much subscribes to the diet I used to - beans and lentils and rice are all you need in the world. Her and her fiancee are super marriage-y (i.e. nights in at 7, couples nights, etc) which is not a bad thing just so not where I am in life, and so food was really the last thing we might have had in common and what we always bonded over before. Now there's nothing, and I fear this friendship has no foundation anymore. Blarg, get on my train and eat some more fat!
          - A guy I met last night that I really could not stand went on a whole rant about how he was "not eating any carbs" because he's a rock climber and fat to muscle ratio is so important. VEGETABLES HAVE CARBS! MEAT HAS CARBS! Everyone makes fun of my diet as being no carbs - I EAT SO MANY CARBS! They just are more delicious carbs.

My good friend wants to do 3 weeks dairy free and I agreed to do it with her. It will at least prevent me from my late night yogurt treats. But, then I realized that butter is dairy, and I don't really like the idea of not being able to use it cooking or in my BP coffee. My plan is to see if they have lard at the farmer's market saturday. If they do, I'll go 100% with her. If not, well, I might still anyways, but it would help if they had lard.

Last night I came home at midnight and the whole ride home, through the rain, I thought "I am going to have a bowl of yogurt and strawberries when I get home and watch the new episode of How I Met Your Mother. I don't need food, I'm full. No, I want yogurt, it's my night time tradition. Why is it my tradition? I'm not hungry? But I already TOLD Myself I would have it, so now I have to." And this conversation with myself went back and forth for a while before I realized Mark's post, and my commitment to not turn my computer on this late, and how much sweeter it would be to just pass out. So I got home, brushed my teeth, and fell asleep 2 pages into my book. Lovely. Mind over matter. Self control. What a concept.

Anyways, breakfast today was 3 eggs over sauteed kale, coffee with 2% milk (it's what we buy, and boy is it flavorless). For some reason butter in my coffee did not sound appealing to me today.

Off to build a chicken coop!

Comment

Also - VEGAN STRAWBERRY BANANA BREAD?!?!?!?! WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE TWO BEST COMPONENTS (EGGS AND BUTTER) OUT OF DESSERT! She also tried to get me to use canola oil for cooking instead of olive oil, and wanted me to add taco seasoning (have you seen that shit? Loaded with words I can't pronounce). And she had no cumin in the house. WHAT KIND OF PERSON DOESN'T USE CUMIN!!!!! It is my go to spice for life

Comment

Originally posted by AbigailLyn View Post
              My good friend wants to do 3 weeks dairy free and I agreed to do it with her. It will at least prevent me from my late night yogurt treats. But, then I realized that butter is dairy, and I don't really like the idea of not being able to use it cooking or in my BP coffee. My plan is to see if they have lard at the farmer's market saturday. If they do, I'll go 100% with her. If not, well, I might still anyways, but it would help if they had lard.
              Have you tried coconut oil? A lot of people use that in their bp coffee and it's great for cooking.

She wanted me to add taco seasoning (have you seen that shit? Loaded with words I can't pronounce). And she had no cumin in the house. WHAT KIND OF PERSON DOESN'T USE CUMIN!!!!! It is my go to spice for life
              McCormick makes a taco seasoning that has nothing but spices in it. I used it last night. No MSG, no nitrates/nitrites. Just spices (and it lists out the spices for you), and other recognizable, ok stuff - except maybe the sugar...

Cumin... what is cumin and how do I use it??

Comment

Omg...cumin is my favorite spice! Use it in anything Mexican: tacos, fajitas, chili...

Comment

hmm... I don't make anything Mexican except tacos... and McCormick has that great additive free seasoning... lol

Comment

Jacq - the other night I was at a restaurant and we had dates stuffed with cheese and than wrapped with bacon. OOOOOOOHEMGEE yum. What is DSD? I'm intrigued...
                    Dates stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon?? OMGGGGGG I'm dying. Btw fresh figs are in season here, I've been ITCHING to bake fresh figs wrapped in bacon. Can someone, anyone, do it so I can live vicariously through you?

21 dsd = 21 day sugar detox. There are 3 levels, level 3 is when you cut out all sugar (even the fruit you can eat is limited) and dairy. I'm definitely keeping my butter and cheese though, so not hardcore level 3 yet. If you slide one day, you gotta start over. God knows how long before I can do a 21 day stretch. Went to a friend's restaurant and he made us almond quince tart for dessert. Who says no to that?! *sob*

Comment

Jenn -
                      I do use coconut oil a lot, and it's tasty, but adding it to coffee the other day made my vomit reflexes kick in pretty hard (not literally, but pretty close).
                      Cumin is my favorite go to spice for anything south of the border. My go to fajita seasoning is cumin, paprika and cinnamon. Yum.
                      I like a lot of spice blends, but she whipped out the el paso crap.

Jacq - Send me fresh dates and I will wrap it in bacon! Where do you live that figs are in season? luckyyyyyy.

Well, fiddlehead ferns are in season here, so chya.

I will have to look into the sugar detox. Sounds like a plan!

Anyways, yesterday was decent.

B: Sauteed Kale, 3 eggs, coffee with 2% (flavorless crap)
                      L: Coleslaw, handful of walnuts and pecans, tin of tuna with lemon, 2 chocolate squares and a spoonful of almond butter (totally psychologically)
                      D: Chicken, white and sweet potatoes, swiss chard, some fresh arugala salad from the farm with goat cheese.

We had guests over so afterwards my mom whipped out the Trader Joe's cheesecake. I was all set to stick to my strawberries and not eat anything else, but I am a known sugar addict and so everyone thought it was weird when I didn't have it, and when a 7 year old (who is my best friend) tells you she wants you to have the same kind she did, I caved. It was half of their size piece, and the hardest thing was not going back for a second, but I didn't! And on a more exciting note, the second night of no late night binges! Went out for trivia night, had about 3 tequila-sodas, and the whole drive home was thinking about that stinking cheesecake. Which piece I would have, how it wasn't a big deal, and then self-control kicked in and I had NOTHING. WIN.

anyways, joint farm and restaurant day so I gotsta run.

Hope everyone else has a successful day!

Comment

mmmm cheesecake. You're stronger than me!!

El Paso is crap... My husband prefers Ortega, but I'm getting the McCormick brand from here on out.

SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI PEPPER, CUMIN, PAPRIKA, OREGANO), ONION, WHEY (MILK), SALT, SUGAR, GARLIC, POTATO STARCH, AND CITRIC ACID.

Look, it even has potato starch instead of corn starch!! Sadly, there's 6 grams of sugar in the whole packet, but I deal...

Comment

I live in Melbourne. Love the markets, love the food, but having beautiful artisan bakeries and homemade gelato stores around can be... challenging. Lol.

jenn, +1 on the cheesecake. Come to think of it, the last time I completely derailed was at the hands of a raspberry brownie cheesecake. Crash and burn weekend *shudder* My world is at the same time better AND worse for realising that such a creation exists.

Comment

So I haven't been around here for a few days. Where have I been? Um...I believe it was in the fridge eating half frozen cheesecake and ice cream. Not fun to report on MDA after THAT.

It all started Thursday night, after a fairly stressful and frustrating day at the restaurant, when I went out with people from work. They are not people I especially love, and hanging out with them does not make me feel especially awesome about life, and so after far too many drinks I came home at 2 am and was feeling like shit about life. Thus, raid freezer, frozen cheesecake, in my mouth. Then I woke up 3 hours later to be at the farm for 3 hours before doing another double at the restaurant, ate 2 huge ass choco chip cookies (with milk, the 7 year old in me cried with glee, the 25 year old in me cried with gas pains). Yesterday at the farmer's market I ate a donut, and half a bag of dried mango, and ice cream.

ANYWAYS suffice it to say it's been a rough 2 days, but at least my meals are always still primal, it's just my snacks that aren't.

Today marks the first day of dairy free, and I'm going to make it gluten free as well (even though I always am gluten free anyways). Here are some strategies I'm going to use to keep it that way.

- Prevent exhaustion - make good decisions about when it is right to go out and prevent myself from getting to the point where I'm so exhausted that everything in sight goes in my mouth without thought. It's funny, because at times like these it's not even the cravings that cause it, just mindless punishment I think.
                            - No eating at work - Often I'll eat a ton beforehand in case there's not anything primal, and then there is and I eat more even though I'm full. No more. Nothing but water and one cup of black coffee (only one because otherwise I use it in place of water and that is no good).
                            - Find activities that don't involve alcohol - Restaurant industry is full of alcoholics. It's ridiculous how much kids drink and I find myself falling into that same pattern sometimes. So, hang out with people who inspire me, and drink less. I have a game night planned with a friend in order to kick of dairy free month (she's doing it with me).

I also want to start running again. I know this is like, the ultimate primal evil, but I miss it so much, and I am terrified of getting bulky muscles and already sort of see it happening. I'm thinking maybe Tuesday going for a run. The problem is I'm so exhausted from the exercise that's naturally incorporated into my day that I don't have energy to do the ones I like - running and yoga.

Bad way to start the week out with exhaustion, but I have to be at the farm. I'm intrigued to see how long I can keep this up before just breaking down, and I'm not sure if it's the most intelligent idea to run this experiment on myself, but I've never been known for common sense.

Breakfast was grass fed ground beef with spinach, onions, and scrambeled eggs, smothered in Maya Ik. No BP coffee for me, butter is not included this week! This terrifies me. Yikes.

So, here goes me, will let you know how it goes, I got Wheat Belly from the library and am excited to finally read it.

And on a comical slash scratch my eyes out note, the Farmer I work for is especially committed to his diet. He and his wife are all organic everything and a little snooty about it, and tend to judge anyone whose not. They eat TONS of bread. Like, ridiculous amounts, and I've never talked to them about my diet because I know they would lose so much respect for me. Anyways, we have chickens on the farm, and this local bakery started to give us their leftover bread at the end of the day "for our chickens." The bread is still fairly fresh, and so they eat it and then bring a big bag over to me every week. He jokingly calls it "part of my paycheck." Being paid in bread = primal NIGHTMARE. Yikes!

Comment

Before I finished reading your thread I was thinking "this girl needs more sleep" I can almost guarantee that's what is causing your sugar binges. Also, alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you want to eat.

I went to a game night and drank quite a bit. There was also a shit ton of complete CRAP food! I'm talkin banana cream pie, brownies and ice cream, cookies, margaritas, chips and salsa, croissants...I was the only one that made real food. Wouldn't you know, my dish was the only thing that was gone at the end of the night. Anyway, usually the alcohol would set me into an eating frenzy. I resisted at the party. I did have some pork rinds when I got him, really wanted to eat more but brushed my teeth and went to bed. Sleep sometimes is the best thing to control emotional eating.

Not saying I have it all figured out, but going to bed last night saved me from waking up sick and guilty this morning

Comment

Hi! I just stumbled on your journal. I'm a MAJOR recovering sugar addict. My whole journal here details my two year battle with it. I've found lots of tips that help, but I haven't yet read all the way through your journal. I saw at the beginning you were eating two eggs + coffee + butter for breakfast. What are you doing now?

I've been through Radiant Recovery (sugar addiction program), behavioral techniques, a leptin reset, and talked with many other sugar addicts and can give a few suggestions based on what you're currently doing.
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                                X