Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darth Friendly's Friendly Primal Journal of Doom.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought of you, DF, when I picked up a lamb's heart from my meat farmer this week. I think it may also end up in chili. I just can't let the little ones see it go into the grinder....

Comment

I soooo wish I had a grinder. I was told "no way" to getting one though. Same thing with a freezer chest. It would save so much time and trouble.

Comment

well, 5.5lbs. of beef heart, and top round hand shredded with a fork, and serrated knife.

now it is chili.

had ribeye steak for breakfast with a pat of butter on top, and a small handful of blueberries. Haven't been hungry all day. Took all day to shred that heart and make chili.

Comment

Heart chili... now that sounds GOOD!

Comment

beef heart?!

Hardcore, man!

"The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
            -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

The Beef Heart Chili is still good, very rich and tasty.

I kind of ran low on supplies this weekend. High winds prevented anyone from coming to the farmer's market, they were afraid that their awnings would get blown away, so no grass fed beef, no fresh cheeses, not even eggs. Booo.

Had an juice disaster yesterday. No fun. No more. No mas.

Dunno what I'll do today.

Cash is low. Maybe I'll get some chicken wings, haven't made those for a few days.

Comment

Meh.

Not much to report.

Things are rolling along.

I'm cured of my ovaphobia, so moar eggs on the way. Thank you everyone for stating that more than 3 eggs a day is perfectly rational.

Made porkchops tonight. Had a perfectly wretched half rotisserie chicken for lunch. Bought some turkey, eggs, and such at the farmer's market.

Walking, walking everywhere now that the weather is better.

Have been thinking of 5 finger footwear, but the weirdness of my feet has me holding off. EEE wide, and I've got a plantir's wart, so don't know how that'd hold up. I currently wear MBT's and love 'em.

Have yet to shake off demon dairy. Was certain that there was HFCS in my bbq sauce the other day. Eating out too much. Slowly but surely, nothing too fast. Have the urge to get nice, and tight with the diet, dropping the cheeses, and sauces, and sticking with meats, green veggies, and berries.

More exercise is next...

...that's about allish.

Comment

I like sliced beef heart lightly pan-fried so it's very rare inside, eaten with a little bit of horseradish. Lamb heart is just as good that way. You just have to spit out the little bundles of tendon, if you didn't cut around them. not a biggy.

If you want a meat grinder (cranka, cranka, like people did in the 1940's) why not just go to Ebay and get one?

Comment

Oooooh, pan fried beef heart with horseradish.

Now THAT sounds good! (I'll make sure to pray over it first. :P )

Yeah, the meat grinder would be useful, but the roomies have over ruled me on that, and a freezer chest. Bah humbug!

Comment

I never had beef heart. I am thinking yuck, but only because I never had it. I love liver though.

Comment

Ninja, heart just tastes like a muscle meat, only a little more so. The only yucky thing about it is the little bundles of strings which are near the valves.

It slices easy. It's tender. It has some good tasting fat around it, though the silverskin can get in the way a little. I like it rare, but I like all meat rare except very gristly stuff like lamb shank, which I put in the crock pot for a long time till the gristle turns to gelatin.

I remember one day when I was cooking a whole chicken, and in the giblets sack was a chicken heart. I just put it with the liver and giblets into a frying pan for a little while, then cut it in half and ate it. Yum, just a nice little bite of chicken ... not "organy" like the liver.

Some stores sell the beef heart already sliced, which saves fuss.

Comment

Liver's had "explosive" results for me lately. Not a good thing at work. But I love the taste.

I was wondering about other good organ meats folks like, my farmer on saturdays sells heart, liver, and tongue. He'll sell kidneys but doesn't dig'em.

Comment

Darth, maybe you can find some kind of cooking friend or buddy, with a chest freezer, where you can grind your meat and store your frozen grassfed whatever? Share Primal recipes, grow herbs on the windowsill or deck, etc.?

Comment

Kidney -- firm, has a bit of a rank flavor, but it's kind of nice cold, once again with horseradish, or mustard. You can boil it, then use the stock in soup.

Comment

The friend (customer) who grows Churro sheep and sells me locker lamb knows that I like the organ meats, and none of her other customers do, so I get several lambs' worth of heart, kidney, and liver. Suits me.

Comment

Working...
                                X