Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois' Journey with the Primal Blueprint :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scales are pretty unnecessary. They don't scare or stress me anymore though because I know there are so many other better indications of my progress. As I've stated on my journal, my water weight can shift by as much as 8 pounds in a week, so when I go up and down a little, I know that isn't any true fat loss. I only call it fat loss when I really actually go down a whole 10-pound block.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

Today was a really good day. We had the boot fair and the sun came out! Only thing was I had to wake up at 5:30 but managed to have a few hours when I got back home at 2 so feel good now. We made 166 too! Not bad for a mornings work. It also meant I spent hours on my feet, unpacking bags, generally being active and I didn't get too tired so energy levels are definitely improving. Mum gave us all 15 for the help too which is really sweet. I bought some more fruit and veg plants at the fair- a strawberry plant, more tomato plants, and two raspberry plants. If the weather's good tomorrow I'm going to plant them- so excited! haha. Most people wouldn't get that excited by a few plants but I just love watching them grow, especially if I can eat the produce after.

Food for today:
      2 slices bacon
      2 boiled egg
      Few handful almonds
      Few handful brazil nuts
      Some dark chocolate
      A can of tuna

The nuts didn't agree with me and I have a really sore tummy now. My digestion is getting stronger and they were all we had to eat so I thought i'd risk it, but they didn't agree with me at all.

Tomorrow i'm going to walk up to the library and see if I can order some paleo/primal books that everyone's been talking about. I hope they can order them in for me as they're quite expensive to buy. In the evening i'm going to the cinema with my friend and then out for a meal. They do steak in the restaurant as well as fish, so I should be able to find something primal approved.

No one dies of a bread deficiency.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53914-4.html

Comment

Dinner was lamb slices from the thigh, roast potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. The lamb was AMAZING and i'm currently boiling up the bone with lots of chicken leg bones as well to make a broth. First time doing this.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

Comment

Hah - the broths and the fermented things and all the home cooking - yeah, that's a major reason I would love to have my own apartment. Then I could do all that stuff without freaking anybody out! When you start collecting bones to make broth, people definitely look at you odd. That's frustrating because almost all cultures do it to create healing soups but whatever .
          Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
          My Primal Journey

Comment

Went out for dinner tonight and had a bit fat juicy sirloin steak with rocket and tomato, cooked medium rare. ahhh I'm going to be dreaming about that tonight. Also tried my first bit of bone broth and even ate the bone marrow- very proud of myself! Haha. But the broth tasted lovely so i'm going to have a little bit every day, and hopefully it will have some affect in healing my gut.

Comment

I ate soooo much yesterday (all primal approved but still a lot of food) yet today was the first morning since going primal i've woken up feeling hungry. Very strange....
              For breakfast I had a bowl of my bone broth and 2 hardboiled eggs.

Comment

The last few days have been so bad Last night I had a papaya as a treat after dinner as I know they're one of the fruits that have a higher sugar content and i'd never tried it before so I was intrigued to know what it tasted like. And then that led to loads of dark and then sugary chocolate which led to a massive binge on chocolate, ice cream and then even wheat products. So disappointed in myself. I stayed up until 3 talking to someone on facebook chat and just ate the whole evening. I think that the sugary papaya probably triggered it so i'm going to cut all fruit out, and i've been eating way too much dark chocolate the last week, so i'm going to try and cut that out too. The only other thing I can think is that I decided to weigh myself a couple of days ago, because I could feel that i'd lost weight but i'd actually put on a pound. It didn't bother me as I know scales are unreliable and it didn't upset me or ruin my day or anytingng but the day after I ate loads (primal food so it was ok- didn't feel bad, actually felt really good so I reckoned my body needed the food) but then the days following that have been bad, last night being the worst as I ate wheat. I didn't activally think 'oh I put on a lb so this obviously isn't working for me, let's sabotage my body' but it may have been in my subconscious, even though I know that it is working. And it happened last time that I weighed myself after quite a long period of time and i'd only lost a really small amount of weight so I binged then as well. It's an absolutely beautiful day today and i'm going to have a massage, but I feel that I can't enjoy it as I feel really sick and bloated and my stomach is really sore. I'm going to use it as a learning curve. It's made me realise why I love the primal diet so much, how good I usually feel when I stick to it and I know i'm not going to let it happen again. I actually thought I was going to be sick last night- i'm so embarrassed and ashamed I think i'll try and IF at least the rest of the day to let my digestion rest. The postive thing is that i've learnt from my mistake and i'm not going to do it again, or abando the lifestyle, if anything it's driven me in the other direction and i'm sure one day isn't going to make me put on weight in the long run. I also woke up really really dehydrated.

Comment

I remember in the beginning, fruit would totally set me off on binges. I would eat healthy stuff, but still wanted to binge on it. I'm alright now, but maybe it would be good to spend two weeks on a strict no-sugar diet (no dairy either because lactase is a sugar). It would probably help improve your blood sugar and insulin responses well enough that you could return to having them every now and then.
                  My Primal Journey

Comment

Thanks for the advice Lex I keep beating myself up about it but i'm trying to look at it positively and think, 'what have I learnt from this?' How can I stop it from happening again? Well as I said before, I am going to completely ditch the scales, seriously this time! I'm not sure if that is what spiralled it off mentally, but it seems a bit of a coincidence so i'm not going to measure my progress with the scales any more. Also I'm not letting myself have any fruit that's high in sugar. I'll let myself have berries when I occassionally feel like it, but that is sporadic anyway, perhaps once/twice a week i'll have a bowl of blueberries or strawberries so i'm not too worried about that. I'm also still eating the dark chocolate. It's my one treat and I do eat 90% cocoa content chocolate, not one laden in sugar. I want to train my body and mind to be able to portion up the things I really like. I think i'll try and let myself have one square a day. I'd love a little box with the days sectioned up so I could put one square in each day, and then if I do decide to eat more, that means that I can't have any the next day as i'll have taken it out of that days box. I'm getting a pill box (man I actually sound like my grandparents :P) as I have sooo many pills to take at the moment, so i'll have to see if I can fit my d. choc. in there

Eaten today:
                    2 egg omelette with mushrooms, ham, courgettes, cooked in coconut oil + 2 slices bacon + little salad with balsamic vinegar.
                    4 squares dark chocolate :O this is where the rationing needs to come in!

Later i've got some bone broth in the fridge so i'll have that if I'm hungry. I've also got some prawn stir fry left over from yesterdays dinner that I could have for dinner but it's not looking too appetising at the moment. The food shopping is being delivered today so there will be plenty of food to chose from.

One of my aims to work on is to stop snacking so much. It wasn't a problem in the beginning but i've started to do it more.

Comment

I think i'm going to start trying to get up earlier so I can have more of a routine to my day. I want to stick to having 3 meals a day with NO SNACKING! Rather than 2 meals with snacks in between.

Plan for tomorrow:
                      B: 2 egg omelette with veg and ham, side salad
                      L: Tuna salad- salad leaves, cucumber, tomato, olives
                      D: Beef steak with mushrooms
                      1 square dark chocolate

Comment

Haha - I got a pill box too a ways back for my multivitamins and I got a lot of sideglances from my family. I tried to dress it up in stickers so I wouldn't feel like as much of a grandma.

Also re: no sugar for a while, of course you'll want sugar and some bad things at some time in the future. But being strict no-sugar for two weeks a while back really eliminated the strong mental battle I used to have when it came to overeating. I couldn't believe it.
                        My Primal Journey

Comment

Haha glad i'm not the only one lex! I'll have to hide it in my room when I go back to uni- don't want my flatmates thinking i'm anymore of a granny than I already am!

Food for today:
                          B- IF
                          L- Bowl of bone broth, 1.5 squares dark chocolate, bowl of mixed berries, 2 slices ham
                          D- Steak cooked in butter, with mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes and salad

I think the no sugar for two weeks will be good for me. I'm going to my nans for a week on monday so I think i'll start it then as I won't eat chocolate or snack at hers anyway. My dark chocolate has gone now so I won't buy any more for a while, and the only sugary thing that I may snack on is some berries, depending on whether I really want them or not. It's likely that I may crave some as it's my TOTM I come back from my nans on the 27th and then I go back to uni for two weeks 4 days later, which I'm really looking forward to. I won't snack on bad things at uni as I won't buy them. Often I find that I don't really want or need the food, but i'll almost convince myself that I do, and once I have my mind fixed on something, the thoughts won't go away until i've eaten it. I need to find a way to distract myself next time that happens. I used to chew gum a lot and I found that that helped me stop grazing during the day, but apparently gum can raise insulin levels so i've managed to cut it out. I'll also generally be a lot more active at uni. The city centre is about 1.5 miles away so i'll either cycle or walk it and i have to go to the shops to get food, etc. I'm getting so bored at home that i'm really looking forward to going to my nans and then to uni for a bit. I desperately need a change of scenery! My mum is also driving me crazy at the moment. She's acting so miserable all the time and 'off' with me, and i've asked her what i've done and she's not giving me any answer. Sorry for the petty moan, but her mood always really affects me and the whole atmosphere in the house. I just don't want to be around her anymore. She also always stares at my skin and makes comments on it- I don't wear make up in the house and my skin is bad at the moment and it makes me feel really self conscious about it. I know it's just my TOTM making me over emotional, but I actually feel like I just want to go and cry on my bed, she's affecting me that much. That's why I'm looking so forward to getting away for a while, I need my own space and a bit of independence for a while. Sorry for the moany post :/

Plan for tomorrow:
                          B- Omelette with veg + bacon
                          L-Tuna salad/or I have some stir fry leftovers but they don't look too appetising
                          D- chicken?

stats for today:
                          cals- 596
                          carb-27g
                          protein- 50g
                          fat- 35g

I may have a hot chocolate made with green and blacks powder (100% cocoa) but i'm worried how the milk will affect me and I don't have any coconut milk

Comment

Anybody who wastes time critiquing you is just trying to keep their critical minds off of critiquing themselves. Seriously. It's crazy to think of how my mom would look down on my health problems when she's hardly ever dedicated herself to a healthy regimen and has always been overweight herself! Crazy to think about how I would let someone who obviously doesn't care enough to help me, critique me. But if your mom thinks she's actually helping, just be really honest with her because maybe she isn't aware of how condescending she's being. That'll be great when you go back to uni and are around young people who are much too self-absorbed to treat you the way your mom does.
                            My Primal Journey

Comment

Thanks for being so understanding Lex I don't want to come across as a really whiny teenager- i'm really not like that at all. I do tell her, i'm not afraid to speak my mind but she just gets all moody and 'off' with me. I've said to her before 'you wouldn't like it if I constantly kept staring and commenting on your wrinkles would you?' She can be so petty, sometimes I feel that I act more like the adult and her more like the child- my nan agrees as well so I know it's not just me thinking it. Anyway moving on..
                              Today's been a good day. Spent some time in the garden potting some fruit and vegetable plants, then played a bit in the garden and did some spontaneous dancing around the house! I tried during some pull ups but failed, unsuprisingly! I need to research proper form, but I will be working more on it now that i've figured out that I can use the swing set bar to do them.

Food for today:
                              Brunch: 2 egg omelette with veg, salad, 2 slices bacon
                              Snack- 3 slices ham, bowl of blueberries, cup of cocoa (shouldn't have, the milk gave me stomach ache) a red pepper
                              Dinner- chicken drumsticks and salad.

Comment

Sounds good! I need to find a playground so I can start pullup-chinup practice again. It'll take forever for me to actually do one, but hopefully I can build up those muscles that will allow me to do it eventually.
                                My Primal Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X