Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois' Journey with the Primal Blueprint :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to do a fast last from my sugar binge last night to 12 in the afternoon the next day, which is about 19 hours. I wasn't even starving hungry by then, merely peckish. So far i've had:

Brunch: my normal omelette with a side salad

Snack: Chocolate protein shake with homemade primal sesame and sunflower seed crackers. Really really nice. Got the recipe from MDA. Will post photos taken later. 3 squares dark chocolate.

Planned dinner: Wild salmon fillet with sweet potatos (in some form- possibly cut up and baked like chips?) and some other veg. Not sure yet.

I also want to buy some dark chocolate today. May have a few squares of that later. I think my time of the month is coming up, causing me to crave chocolate and ice cream, hence the disaster yesterday. This happened last month as well, which is when I started the journal to try and keep me on track.

I was doing a lot of thinking and reseraching yesterday and i've decided to go and see a kinesiologist about the mess my body is in at the moment. Hopefully she'll be able to recommend which supplements to take. Someone told me that i'm definitely low in iodine if I had candida. I've started taking liqourice root as we already had it in the house.
    Last edited by lolo66; 05-06-2012, 05:10 AM.

No one dies of a bread deficiency.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53914-4.html

Comment

The sunflower seed and sesame seed crackers:

05-05-12 S.jpg

They're so so easy to make (as long as you have a food processor) I got the recipe from this website and if you're missing that satisfying crunch you get from crackers, tortillas or crisps then they're the perfect replacement. And very cheap too! All you need is a cup each of sunflower and sesame seeds and some water. You grind the sunflower seeds up in a blender until it resembles a kind of flour. Mix in the sesame with a bit of water (add progressively) and roll out between two pieces of parchment on a baking tray. Bake for about half an hour at 375f, 180 celcius. I topped mine with some butter, a bit of ham, some sundried tomato. But you could use lots of things. Guacomole would be nice, nut butters, anything you can dip or spread really. I'll definitely be doing these again!

Dinner:

IMG_0038.jpg

Ovenbaked wild salmon fillet with sweet potato cooked in coconut oil and sprinkled with garam masala and salad, courgette and tomato. Really tasty.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

Comment

Todays food:

Brunch: 2 egg omelette with veg, side salad and 2 slices bacon.

Snack: 4 squares dark chocolate (this stuff is like crack for me :/) lots of sesame and sunflower seed crackers made yesterday (too many)

Planned dinner: Lamb escalope with vegetables. Will probably have a few roast potatoes.

Comment

Your photographs are beautiful.
          You didn't photograph the sugar binge?
          Just teasing...........

Comment

Thank you, they're only taken on my iphone. Haha that's true. In fairness I don't generally photograph everything, taking photos of the main meals is hard enough to remember. And it basically would have looked something like this, for the visual people out there

274409445_adc0970956.jpg

I probably ate about 1/3 - 1/2 of a tub. It could have been worse and i'm over it now. I can tell that my time of the month is coming up as I was getting sugar cravings today, but I satisfied it with 4 squares dark chocolate and my seedy bakes. Too much food but better than lots of ice cream and biscuits!

DigestiveBiscuit_1.jpg

Comment

Dinner was 1.5 lamb escalopes (they were fairly small) with 3 small roast potatoes and lots of broccoli and cauliflower.

Before dinner I did some weight lifting. I was working on my deadlift and increasing the weight. I'm still trying to find a weight which works for me. I lifted the maximum weight I can create with my plates which is around 50lbs and it wasn't too hard, so I think I might need to buy some new weights. Felt good! I also took a quick photo of myself today so i'll try and post that later.

Comment

Photo

Untitled.jpg

My shoulders look a bit out of proportion for my body, think I may have been leaning a bit forwards haha.

Comment

I like all your photos! The ones of your walk make me a bit homesick, I'm away at uni at the moment but I come from a village in the country and I love to ramble when I'm back there. Your dinners look yummy, reminds me I haven't bought fresh salmon for a little while! Out of curiosity, how many times do weight train per week?

Comment

@ Rachel91
                    Whereabouts are you from? I live in Kent and when the sun does decide to make an appearance the fields where I live look beautiful. Fresh salmon is lovely. Try and buy wild if you can- they sell it frozen in Tescos for about 4.50 for 5 fillets. They're not massive but perfect for a lunchtime salad topper. Well i'm trying to cut back on the weight training at the moment as I believe I have burnt out adrenals (really badly- it's one of the reason's I had to leave uni for this term) and weight training is only going to hinder recovery. So i'd say at the moment I probably do it about once a week. When my body becomes healthy again, i'll probably do it about 3 times a week. I don't really plan when exactly i'll do it, I just go with the flow and see when my body feels up to it. There's no point pushing it if you're feeling tired or not in the mood as your form will be bad and you may end up damaging something. If your body is tired the best thing to do is sleep! That's where I went wrong at uni (I was rowing like you) and it's one of the reason's i'm stuck at home recovering.

Comment

Dinner today was soooo yummy. It was a bit of a collection of whatever I had in the cupboard. I sliced butternut squash as a spaghetti replacement and cooked raw malaysian prawns (really yummy) and chucked in chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sacla tomato and garlic sauce, raw garlic, italian herb seasoning, lots of spinach and basil, courgettes and cooked it in lots of coconut oil so you could taste it. I then threw in some crispy bacon which I grilled so it was like prawn jambalaya. So nice, will definitely make it again!

IMG_0041.jpg

The photo doesn't do it justice, the lighting wasn't very good.

Didn't have breakfast today. Lunch was a bit snacky: 2 slices bacon, 1 boiled egg, some dark chocolate (90%) half a grapefruit, can't remember if I had anything else. My legs are really achy today from the deadlifts the other day!

Comment

Oh and I broke the family food processer so won't be able to make my sesame and sunflower seed crispy bites for a while. *sob* :'(
                        Last edited by lolo66; 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Food plan for tomorrow:

B/L- I read on someone's journal today that apparently frying can cause inflammation and my skin does look a little red at the momet, so I was thinking of making a change to my normal brunch. I could either have boiled egg and/or bacon, or we have trout and mackerel fillets, so could make a salad with that. When we go food shopping I may buy the ingredients to make the spinach quiche again as that was really nice, although nuts do give me a stomach ache normally (although I didn't notice it with the pine nuts in the recipe) Then again they were blitzed in the blender, but it's broken at the moment, so I could either put them in whole or find something else to put in it. I'll have to do a bit of research for some other recipes. I've also got some lovely ham so I could possibly do some kind of egg bake with spinach and ham?? Time to be creative!

Snacks?? I've got some dark chocolate but have been eating too much of that lately (can't wait for TOTM to go- always makes me crave chocolate and ice cream!) I've also got some seeds

Dinner: Will definitely have salmon. I think we have some parsnips from the farm shop so will probably mash them will butter and/or curry powder.

I've definitely noticed physical changes in myself. I'm starting to feel slim again. My face looks like it's slimmed out as well. I haven't weighed myself since wednesday, when I was 148.4lbs, and i'm trying not to as I get discouraged if I haven't lost a lot, or none at all. I'm debating whether to weigh myself on wednesday to see how much I lose in a week but I will probs have TOTM then so it may not give an accurate reading.
                          Last edited by lolo66; 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I took my measurements this morning for future reference:
                            Chest: 35" (loose)
                            Ribcage: 29.5"
                            Waist: 28"
                            Bellybutton/hips 35"
                            Thighs: 38"
                            Arm (bicep) : 11"

Before putting on the weight my waist was 27.5, my hips 33, my thigh 36.5 and my chest 34" so they're the measurements I want to get back to, and then i'll work out new goals from there.

Comment

I'm from a village in Oxfordshire, the countryside around is great for walking in Sorry to hear about your adrenals, I have thyroid problems and before I started the medication always used to feel sluggish and tired all the time. Am I right in thinking the symptoms of burn out are similar? I really feel like I am not getting enough sleep at the moment and I'm tired all the time which worries me

On a lighter note, you have inspired me to start taking photos of my food! :P

Comment

@ Rachel91
                                Nice, i've never been there before. Yes I think adrenals and thyroid function together (although I don't really know a lot about it so may be wrong) so often when the adrenals are having a hard time, the thyroid suffers too. I've had my thyroid tested by the doctor and the blood test came out ok luckily.

I just found this on Healing Naturally With Bee's website (I use this a lot):

Thyroid and adrenal malfunction are the main causes of low metabolic energy in the body, which in turn can be caused by candida overgrowth. This is because candida puts out over 79 different kinds of toxins that makes all the body cell membranes go rigid, or stiff.

Every process that goes on inside our bodies requires energy – specifically, metabolic energy. When the body doesn't have enough energy to function properly, each component of the body will malfunction in its own unique way.

For example, if the brain has too little energy, thought processes such as memory and focus become impaired. The body needs energy to keep itself warm — a low body temperature, therefore, usually accompanies low metabolic energy.

Symptoms of Low Metabolic Energy

Although many of the symptoms below seem unrelated, they may all stem from the same root problem of low metabolic energy.
                                1. General - Low body temperature. Coldness. Low Energy or Fatigue. Weight problems (can't lose or gain it). Slow healing.

2. Brain - Depression. Anxiety. Poor memory, focus, or concentration. Sleep disorders.

3. Immune system - Under-Reactive or Over-Reactive: Frequent infections (skin, sinus, bladder, bowel, yeast problems, etc.). Allergies. Auto-immune diseases.

4. Musculoskeletal - Fatigue. Fibromyalgia (muscle or joint pains). Generalized aches/pains. Repetitive use injury and carpal tunnel syndrome. Weak connective tissues (ligaments, bones, etc). Headaches.

5. Sexual - Loss of Libido and function. Menstrual disorders. Infertility.

6. Vascular - Low blood pressure. High blood pressure. Raynaud's disease.

7. Bowels - Connstipation. Gas or bloating. Digestive disorders, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

8. Nervous system - Numbness of hands and/or feet. Dulling or loss of senses such as vision, taste or smell.

9. Skin - Dry. Acne. Pallor in light skin, darkening or dark patches in dark skin.

10. Hair - Hair loss, brittle, coarse, dry or oily.

I had candida which then led to adrenal fatigue (I haven't been tested for adrenal fatigue but I have the symptoms and am going to see a kinisiologist to help me with this) I had 1,2,3,4,7,8,9 off that list posted above and am still recovering from most of the symptoms, but they are getting a lot better. If you have some of these symptoms go and get yourself checked out! The doctors are absolutely rubbish!!! cannot emphasise that more. They do not recognise candida for one, and when i've been to see them several times they just want to put me on anti depressants! which is just covering one of the symptoms and not dealing with the problem!! ahh it fustrates me so much. It was only when I went to have a food intolerance test that I was diagnosed with candida, and then I went to have a colonic done and was rediagnosed with it. Luckily my mum had the same thing and is knowledgable on alternative therapy so she recommended going to have a food intolerance test. If not for her, I would still be taking IBS tablets (which are rubbish. given to me by the uni doctor, who told me to continue eating grains, dairy, etc, even though i'd been tested as intolerant) and anti depressants (suggested by my doctor at home) I feel a lot better for eating primally and i'm sure that you will feel the same benefits. It may be worth addressing the rowing. I was in the same position as you- I loved my rowing and stubbornly refused to give it up, even when my parents were warning me down the phone that I was going to burn myself out (which I eventually did and am now having to redo the year at uni as a result)

Sorry for the rant!

Taking photos is a great way of recording what you've eaten. I've stored them all in a folder on my laptop and when i'm deciding what ingredients to buy I have a look at the photos to remind myself of what tasted good!

Comment

Working...
                                X