No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Seth "BONZ" Williams)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa, Jen, you just started..... I'm excited for you if that makes any sense! I know where I've been, the road I've been on for the last 6 months.... You've got some very satisfying, gratifying days coming your way.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Comment

Originally posted by BONZ View Post
      Whoa, Jen, you just started..... I'm excited for you if that makes any sense! I know where I've been, the road I've been on for the last 6 months.... You've got some very satisfying, gratifying days coming your way.
      Thanks! I'm coming up to 60 days primal on June 30th.

So far, my exercise has been mainly walking (at least 6 hours per week). As of Day 61, I'm going to also start adding sprinting and weights/body weight movements to my weekly workouts.

Hopefully I'll continue to see some improvements.

Comment

Back from vacation, I took the whole month of July off (that would be from work and workouts). Alternately, I think I walked every square inch of New Orleans and spent some time playing in the river in the Texas hill country. I traded structured strength training for a lot of low intensity play. Came back a month later at exactly the same weight and only slightly softer in the mid-section. That's a success in my book. One side note, the first day back on the squat rack after a month off sucks.... and never jump right back in with the same wieght you left off on. All that aside, here's what I really wanted to document ..... my resting heart rate is 48 BPM. My HR has never been that low. I'm attributing this to 40 lbs less body wieght to carry around and quiting smoking in June. I'm hoping this is just my new norm, but I've got to say I was a little concerned when I first saw it. That's a hell of a drop from where I used to be, somewhere in the 70s.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Comment

While I'm at it, may as well update my weight training routine. I've gone straight up Stronglifts 5x5. Mehdi is the man, it doesn't get any more simple than this. I'm also doing the Armstrong Pullup Program (PDF) along with some occasional pickup basketball games.
          Last edited by BONZ; 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM.

Comment

For the record:

Got a glucose monitor yesterday to establish a baseline and see what effect, if any, food and excercise has on my blood glucose numbers.

16 AUG
            1830: 109 mg/dl (2 hours post meal)

17 AUG
            0430: 93 mg/dl (Immediately after waking, fasted)

0645: BREAKFAST 5 egg omelet loaded, 8 pcs of bacon and 2 sausage patties

0715: 97 mg/dl (30 minutes after breakfast)
            0745: 103 mg/dl (1 hour post breakfast)
            0815: 109 mg/dl (1.5 post breakfast plus two shots of espresso)
            0845: 107 mg/dl (2 hours post breakfast w/ two more shots of espresso)
            1015: 105 mg/dl (3.5 hours post breakfast/ pre-work out, SEE NOTES BELOW*)

1100: WOD 5x5 heavies and basketbal totaling 2 hours

1315: 93 mg/dl (Post workout)

1330: LUNCH Big ass salad, 2 chicken breasts, coconut water w/15 grams of sugar, Quest protein bar w/20 grams of protein

1430: 92 mg/dl (1 hour Post lunch)
            1515: 95 mg/dl (1.75 hours post lunch)

18 AUG: Up early to watch my Saints whip that Jaguar ass!
            0300: 84 mg/dl (Just after waking, fasted)
            0315: SNACK Quest protein bar (20 grams protein) and 1 oz macadamia nuts
            0530: 87 mg/dl (2.25 hours post snack)
            0800: BREAKFAST 5 egg omelet loaded, 10 pcs bacon, two sausage links
            0945: Quest protein bar
            1000: 109 md/dl (2 hours post breakfast)

*Now I'm starting to wonder about this monitor. OneTouch UltraMini. I just got 5 readings, 3 different ballparks.
            1015: I got 124 mg/dl, 95 mg/dl, 105 mg/dl, 104 mg/dl, and 99 mg/dl all within two minutes of each other. Oh well, whaddaya expect for under $20? For sanity's sake, we'll go with 105 in the timeline above.*
            Last edited by BONZ; 08-18-2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Random Stats I can come back to:

LIFTING

Deadlift 1RM: 1.54xBW (Grip is a problem)
              Bench 1RM: 1.35xBW (Weak ass!)
              Squat 1RM: 1.69xBW (estimated max with good form, lack hip and ankle flexibility)
              Pullups: 13 (Pronated grip)
              Muscleups: Uhh... about that... hmmm

BODYCOMP

SEPT 5TH:
              Neck: 16
              Bicep: 14.75
              Forearm: 11.5
              Chest: 42
              Waist 31.75
              Hips: 33.5
              Thigh: 22
              Calf: 15

BODYFAT % (JACKSON/POLLACK 4 CALIPER METHOD)

SEPT 5TH
              9.62 %
              Last edited by BONZ; 09-18-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Well here we iz!!!!! 9 months in and I've accomplished some things I never would've thought possible. Great energy levels, strength gains, you name it. I never thought I'd see a single digit bodyfat percentage again IN MY LIFE... but here I am. I'm fairly certain that right now I could score higher on a PFT than I ever did on active duty as a Marine. Same old same old here, eating about 2200 calories a day. 130 - 200 gms protein, 85 - 100 gms Carbohydrates (most of this being prebotic, soluble fiber), and anywhere from 50 - 200 gms fat as my variable input. Still doing Stronglifts 5x5 three days a week and the Armstrong Pullup Program (PDF) Monday through Friday. Still working on a muscle up, I will knock that out. Here's the progression photos:

Comment

It has been very entertaining the past few days watching you poke JamesS in the troll behind and he doesn't even "get it" when he is being ridiculed. He thinks you're arguing.

Also the eye candy on this thread is worth subscribing for. Did you say something? Sorry I was distracted......

Comment

I've been engaged in a battle of the wits against the unarmed.... it hasn't been pretty! I don't know what the hell that dude's issue is but seriously.... if you can't comment on ONE THREAD (I've seen this dude in many) without getting in a pissing contest you really gotta self-assess. Unless you're fully aware, not just socially awkward, and really are just a total douchebag. In which case, I have no problem bruising your soul and murdering your self-esteem.... :P

Many thanks for the compliments..... never thought I'd actually find my abs again!

Comment

Originally posted by BONZ View Post
                      I've been engaged in a battle of the wits against the unarmed.... it hasn't been pretty! I don't know what the hell that dude's issue is but seriously.... if you can't comment on ONE THREAD (I've seen this dude in many) without getting in a pissing contest you really gotta self-assess. Unless you're fully aware, not just socially awkward, and really are just a total douchebag. In which case, I have no problem bruising your soul and murdering your self-esteem.... :P

Many thanks for the compliments..... never thought I'd actually find my abs again!
                      Oh, you found them all right. Nice.

If you want to put a face to that particular d bag, google James Sloane Mountain High Botanicals Las Vegas Nevada. It's where he works as an "herbal formulator". Then he talks about his "30 year career in medicine". Yeahright.

I am not kidding when I say I think he really is a paid poster when it comes to the soy question. He hounded me across several threads where soy was completely OT, including ranting on my journal (way not cool) trying to "call me out" on the issue. It's like he was just itching for an excuse to whip out his list o' links posts. All of which are cut and paste from the stuff already on the Mountain High site BTW. Somebody like that with just enough medical knowledge to sound authoritative could make a tidy extra income trolling all the websites and making excuses to post about the wonders of soy.

Comment

Small successes, right? Well, here's a GIGANTIC one..... and it isn't even mine. Back around June, I created a photo album on my Facebook page for my progression photos. While opening myself up to plenty of well deserved "you vein M$%$F%$%^@#" criticism for posting half naked pictures of myself on Facebook, I did explain that it had a medical and dietary relevance in the album. A freind of mine, a guy I served with back when I was an active duty Marine, dropped me a note and asked my what the hell I was doing to cut up. He's one of at least 6 or 7 people who followed up with questions. I gave him the rundown and pointed him to this site and a few other resources. For a couple of weeks I did the "paleo coach" thing, answering his questions as they came up while he soaked it all in. Got a note from the dude a couple of days ago that basically said "I'm 2 pounds away from losing 100 lbs since June. Thanks for the information, it has changed my life!" That, ladies and gentlemen, is a victory! That is all.....

Comment

Awesome! Always gratifying to see someone you helped succeed! And great job yourself man, pretty amazing transformation pics in this journal!

Comment

Random Stats I can come back to:

LIFTING

NEW PR: Deadlift 1RM: 1.6xBW (295 lbs)
                            Bench 1RM: 1.35xBW (Weak ass!)
                            Squat 1RM: 1.69xBW (estimated max with good form, lack hip and ankle flexibility)
                            Muscleups: Almost there....

BODYCOMP

SEPT 5TH:
                            Bicep: 14.75
                            Forearm: 11.5
                            Chest: 42
                            Waist 31.75
                            Hips: 33.5
                            Thigh: 22

SEPT 5TH
                            9.62 %

Comment

Random stats:

I'm having to revamp my numbers so I don't have the incentive to cheat on reps. Adjusted to reflect 1RM, clean, no bounce, full ROM. If I haven't done a 1RM, the heaviest weight that I've lifted during a workout is listed.

LIFTING

NEW PR NOV23: Deadlift 1RM: 1.73xBW (315 lbs)
                              Bench 1RM: 1.26xBW (230 lbs)
                              Squat 1RM: 1.1xBW (200 lbs, No 1RM, switched to Low Bar Squats and started over)
                              Press 1RM: 0.63xBW (115 lbs, No 1 RM, strict/no push press)
                              Last edited by BONZ; 11-23-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Random Stats:

LIFTING

Deadlift 1RM: 1.73xBW (315 lbs)
                                Bench 1RM: 1.26xBW (230 lbs)
                                Squat 1RM: 1.1xBW (200 lbs, No 1RM, switched to Low Bar Squats and started over)
                                Press 1RM: 0.63xBW (115 lbs, No 1 RM, strict/no push press)

BODYCOMP

Bicep: 15 (+.25)
                                Forearm: 12 (+.5)
                                Chest: 43.25 (+1.25)
                                Waist 31.5 (-.25)
                                Hips: 36
                                Thigh: 22.25 (+.25)

8.33 %

Comment

Working...
                                X