Finding my healthy self after 2 kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Wow, you're doing great with those stats! I think you'll see that as you add weight, you'll get stronger first and then the fat will melt off.

I'm also getting back into shape after 2 kids. My youngest is 13 months and still nursing.
    Thanks for the support! I did lift some in college to build strength as I played soccer.

Congrats on making it past a year nursing. I think my son is just about done, down to just mornings now of his own accord. But the morning snuggles are pretty nice.

Comment

Got in some great slow movement this morning. Took the kids over to a nearby state park and wandered around. We followed the trail for over a mile and watched the water fall over the dam for a while. Watching the water is so calming. We moved the price down to $170k on the house and have found several potential rentals. Lots of prayers going up that we can find a buyer so we can move on with life. What was crazy was that after DH and I spoke last night, an ad for Ravinia was on tv - that's where we want to move! I feel like that has to be some sort of sign, right? Luckily I start training for my new job Monday so at least I should be very busy for about 2 weeks.

Comment

Just did my 7th session of Starting Strength. Sitting down afterwards I just realized I made a mistake... I did 3 sets of deadlift! Guess I'm further from stalling on that than I was starting to think. Everything felt pretty heavy today though. I'm guessing I will start stalling soon on everything. And then I'll need to choose a new workout program. Really, I'm pretty happy with where all of my lifts are at this point, so would be okay moving on to a maintenance program.

Squat - 125
        Bench - 100
        Dead - 155 - oops, did 3 sets

Time to do some cleaning around the house in case we get lucky and have some showings soon (hopefully tomorrow!)

Comment

Session 8 of Starting Strength today. Squats continue to be easy. Only did 4, 5, 5 for press. Powerclean was tough but got through it all. Wrists were really hurting. Being the third day of my cycle I did anticipate that I would be a little weaker today. So I will go ahead and add weight again to everything next time. But I suspect I'm about to stall for press and power clean very soon.
          Squat - 130
          Press - 75
          Powerclean - 100

That means that everything but press is 100+! I think that's a pretty good accomplishment for a woman. If I can end this program with squat at my goal weight and dead at my current weight, I'll be ecstatic. Squat won't get there for another 6 workouts, but dead should be there in just 2 more, which would be 4.

Something got screwed up with K12 and now they're saying I'm not starting until next week. I am extremely pissed off as I had planned everything around starting today. But there's nothing I can do. I just can't believe there's no reason they're giving. If something is missing, I need to know about it. And if not, then I am not impressed at all by this company and might end up with them for only a short time. I had hoped I could stay with them, but if they can't even figure out to get my training started, that doesn't bode very well. NOT happy

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
            Session 8 of Starting Strength today. Squats continue to be easy. Only did 4, 5, 5 for press. Powerclean was tough but got through it all. Wrists were really hurting. Being the third day of my cycle I did anticipate that I would be a little weaker today. So I will go ahead and add weight again to everything next time. But I suspect I'm about to stall for press and power clean very soon.
            Squat - 130
            Press - 75
            Powerclean - 100

That means that everything but press is 100+! I think that's a pretty good accomplishment for a woman. If I can end this program with squat at my goal weight and dead at my current weight, I'll be ecstatic. Squat won't get there for another 6 workouts, but dead should be there in just 2 more, which would be 4.
            If these are your stats after only 8 workouts you're at least very good compared to me. My squat is 150, press is 100, bench is
            132 and DL (I don't do powerclean) is 175. And I'm a guy. And that's after like 30-40 workouts. I don't know what's wrong with me but I'm not giving up

Good luck
            well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              If these are your stats after only 8 workouts you're at least very good compared to me. My squat is 150, press is 100, bench is
              132 and DL (I don't do powerclean) is 175. And I'm a guy. And that's after like 30-40 workouts. I don't know what's wrong with me but I'm not giving up

Good luck
              Yep, that's what I did today. I lifted fairly seriously in college as I played division 3 (non-scholarship level) soccer. I have lifted on and off since graduating 9 years ago. So I'm not new to this. You'll keep adding with time. I'm starting overweight (180lbs, 5'3") whereas your body is still overcoming the nutrition issues you had from not eating enough. It takes time.

Comment

I played soccer in college, too!! But I never could lift very much back then either. I think the important thing is to strive and continue to add weight. Your workouts are inspiring.

I still just workout at home during my baby's nap, and the max weights I have are 20 lbs dumbells. I squat with them and just aim for about 50 squats at that weight.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
                  I played soccer in college, too!! But I never could lift very much back then either. I think the important thing is to strive and continue to add weight. Your workouts are inspiring.

I still just workout at home during my baby's nap, and the max weights I have are 20 lbs dumbells. I squat with them and just aim for about 50 squats at that weight.
                  Thank you! One of the best choices we made before DD was born was to buy a weight set at home. Eliminates the 20-30 minute one way trip to get to the gym and cuts down on workout time. Although we're trying to sell right now and would give this luxury up, our kids are now getting older so it'll be easier to work around them.

Comment

Sitting in the rocking chair for nap time today and I felt skinnier. Like, hey, I'm not as close to the arm rests any more. This chair was bought while I was pregnant with DD, so I haven't been this weight since we've owned it. But it was a nice thought to have. Now that my period is over, I feel skinnier all over. My clothes seem to be fitting looser too. I think I'm going to have an issue with clothing fit though, untill my chest finally decides to shrink. As my belly shrinks (yahoo) my shirts are looking all weird. To get over my boobs (36H) and not show my tummy, I have to buy size large. But these are starting to feel like tents and I feel like they make me look bigger than I am because they just kind of hang there. I don't want to go buy new clothes until I'm at a weight I will stay at though. Once summer is over it won't matter as much anyway since I'll wear sweatshirts a lot and my long sleeve shirts seem to run longer as well. I guess next summer I'll need to buy a bunch of new shirts. Not so terrible I guess. I hope to be down another 15-20lbs by then, or at least for my stomach to be fairly flat again. Nice to start feeling skinnier though!

Comment

Starting Strength Session #9
                      Squat - 135
                      Bench - 105
                      Deadlift - 165
                      Squat should keep going up for a while. It's easier to go lower now too, which is cool to see. Bench is about to max out, I can feel it. Had DH spot me today. Will see things go next week, but I'm thinking I might peak at 110. Deadlift felt fine since I did it properly. Next time I'll be pretty much at my body weight!

Playing soccer last night felt amazing. I felt strong on the field and faster than I had been. I took a shot once and the defender ducked! The goalie stopped it, but just popped it straight up. It was great to feel so strong and today's lifting just confirmed it. Hopefully I will see some good numbers on the scale Saturday as well.

Comment

Ouch!

Tried to do another session of starting strength today. Got through squats at 140 pretty easily. Got my first strike on press at 80 (3, 4, 4). Couldn't even get the bar below my stomach for power clean. When warming up for power clean, my right knee was bothering me. But I found a position where it wouldn't hurt. After warm ups, I loaded 105 onto the bar and lowered into position, noticed my abs felt funny. I walked around the basement a bit, cleaned up a few toys, but abs on the left side still hurt a bit. Decided to give it a shot anyway and failed miserably. So I walked away. We will see how this pain feels over the next day or so, but looking like I will likely take a week off from lifting. Can't risk pulling something (or making it worse). Plus maybe I can get past these stall weights without resetting if I take some time off. Before today I had done 9 full sessions with no misses. See how I feel on Monday though.

Stepped on the scale day and the 170's are so close, 180.0! So I'm hoping that next week I'll be there. I decided that I would really like to be at goal weight by Christmas. Another 15lbs in 5 months I think is doable. We shall see though. Everything depends on whether we can sell this house or not at the moment. No more showings scheduled, which is pretty disappointing. We've found a ton of places we could go live though. It's nice to dream about being able to walk places. There's a possibility we could walk to the library, soccer classes, and of course parks. It would mean only having to get in the car once a week when the weather is nice. That sounds absolutely heavenly as I look at this week's schedule where I have at least 1 place a day to drive to M-F, many days 2 places. But we have to sell first. I feel I've been patient here and I know everything will happen in God's timing, but we've had a lot of disappointment lately and we're ready for something to fall our way!

Comment

This has been a crazy, stressful week! I started training on Monday and finished yesterday for my new job. I took Monday off from lifting because I was SO sore when I woke up. I played soccer last night and running bothered my lower back. Today my upper back and kneck are extremely sore, so it looks like another day off. Hopefully with the reduced stress and a couple more days off I will recover. Hoping to get back to lifting on Saturday, but only time will tell. I hate being in pain and I think this is mostly stress related. So I just need to be sure and relax the next few days.

Comment

Did sprints today and my body feels wrecked. Upper back was sore while I running. And I got a headache and felt dizzy. My right arm felt a little numb as well. And now my stomach is upset. I probably should have been wearing a second sports bra, but I thought I would be okay. My upper back has been bothering me a lot lately. I'm giving it 3 months or so after DS is does nursing and then going to see about a breast reduction. I'm hoping in that 3 months I'll lose some weight too since I'm pretty sure my body is holding onto some of this weight since I'm still bfing.

I suppose I should go eat something to help my body recover from sprinting. Although all I feel like doing is crawling into bed at the moment. Good thing I only have about 30 minutes of work to get done during naps today!

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                              Did sprints today and my body feels wrecked. Upper back was sore while I running. And I got a headache and felt dizzy. My right arm felt a little numb as well. And now my stomach is upset. I probably should have been wearing a second sports bra, but I thought I would be okay. My upper back has been bothering me a lot lately. I'm giving it 3 months or so after DS is does nursing and then going to see about a breast reduction. I'm hoping in that 3 months I'll lose some weight too since I'm pretty sure my body is holding onto some of this weight since I'm still bfing.

I suppose I should go eat something to help my body recover from sprinting. Although all I feel like doing is crawling into bed at the moment. Good thing I only have about 30 minutes of work to get done during naps today!
                              Do you eat before sprints? The same thing happens to me when I eat before sprinting. Even 3 hours before. Plus I feel like throwing up an i'm nauseated for the rest of the day. I now sprint once a week before breakfast and it's been going much better
                              well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                                Do you eat before sprints? The same thing happens to me when I eat before sprinting. Even 3 hours before. Plus I feel like throwing up an i'm nauseated for the rest of the day. I now sprint once a week before breakfast and it's been going much better
                                Yeah, but I always do. Went to a wedding last night and had some champagne. So that might be related. My body has felt weak and sore for the past week. Hoping that some relaxing today and tomorrow will help though!

Comment

Working...
                                X