3 medium marrow bones
    2 soup bones (beef shank/osso bucco)
    1 head of garlic
    1 large tomato
    1 -2 ounces apple cider vinegar
    enough filtered water to fill a large pot
    sea salt to taste
    other herbs as desired

I think I need to get more bones. I only have the marrow ones...

I wish I could get good meat for my family. Unfortunately, with only one income and lots of expenses, I'm having to do the best I can for groceries. My mom helps us by sending Walmart gift cards so I can feed my family. This means of course that I have to buy my groceries there...I go to Sam's Club when I can to get meat, but I'm certain it isn't much better.

It's just so frustrating to try to keep doing the right thing for my family's nutrition, but to have to cut corners and give them less than optimal food. I've briefly debated going back to the food shelf to help with the cost, but having used that most of last year, I know that it's all carb heavy, processed junk.

As for making the bone broth, I think I need to get some more bones. I think I have 4 marrow bones. Or maybe I'll just try it with what I have. I'll have to be honest with myself, I won't have time to start it until this weekend...

Comment

• That's frustrating, isn't it.. but at least you are doing the best you can with what you have, and you know that's about a million times better than most families!

That being said, while you might not be able to afford super high quality meats, have you tried sourcing bones from a good place? Maybe it's different where you are, but just bones are dirt cheap around here.. at least your bone broth could be extra nutritious.
      I think I will try to find some for this weekend too, and we can compare notes on Monday
      My Primal Blueprint Journal

Comment

• I will be honest, I haven't done a lot of buying bones. In fact this was the first time I got any. I'll need to look around and see what's out there. Also, the bones are still in the freezer...

On the plus side, I made meatloaf with Bacon on top. Lunch yesterday and today. Very much awesome!!!!

Comment

• Meatloaf for the win! I made those baconey brussel sprouts again, but I oven roasted them... they are way better that way

Comment

• Fasting today. Partially because I didn't cook last night, and have no leftovers, partially because I have no $ to buy a lunch.

Dinner will be awesome though: spaghetti squash with ground beef in mushroom cream sauce.

Comment

• Mmmm, I am just such a fan of mushroom cream sauces! Dangerous though, as I could probably just eat the whole batch with a spoon!

I had a dream last night about eating marrow with a spoon.. which I've never done. It was weird. Must be bone broth on the brain!

Well, enjoy your supper, I'm sure it will be extra amazing after fasting Take care!

Comment

• Must try to make some sort of broth with the bones in my freezer. Also, I will step on the scale and see where I am. I admit to being nervous...

Comment

• *sigh*

So the scale, once again, has refused to budge. What do I need to mix up? Fewer carbs again? Shall I head back to less than 50 territory? That seems to be where I had my success. I just don't get it. Even on a higher carb day, I'm still usually less than 75...

Frustrated.

Comment

• I freaking hear you. That is all.

Comment

• Breakfast: coffee
                      Lunch: Ground beef and mushrooms cooked in bacon grease, "chicken soup (cooked down chicken thighs), Greek Gods honey yogurt
                      Dinner: TBD

Why does my coffee taste like soap? :P

Comment

• That's weird! I had that happen the other day, and I never did figure it out. Bletch! Maybe a poorly rinsed cup? So strange.

How are things otherwise? Work still crazy? Or is that a constant?

Comment

• Yeah, work is generally crazy. Theoretically it will be getting better. I'm now switched to my new services, however, I no longer have an office. At least until they move someone else who is switching jobs. I have no idea how long this will take. So for now, I am wandering the hospital aimlessly, looking for computer space... :P

Also, the strangest thing about the soapy coffee...I couldn't tell when it was still hot. Only when it cooled some... O.o

Comment

• Ugh to not having an office! Not fun. Ummm... but lots of slow mvmt wandering around?

Spiralicious and Emerald Rose on the mysterious case of the international randomly soapy coffee! I would just like to mention that "soapy" is one of the worst things a thing can taste like - I often think lemon candy (not that I eat candy, of course) tastes like soap.

Comment

• Finally made the soup! Sort of. Had to use ground beef, since we were tragically out of Bacon. I have discovered that I DO NOT like turnips. The soup itself turned out pretty good though! I am definitely going to try it again some time

Comment

• Sounds like you are doing ok there Em! Hang in there with the plateau! Have you thought of doing a leptin reset for a week or so to kick the fat burning back into high gear? I remembered the other day after having a few bad weeks that I had started out with doing a leptin reset and I needed a reset after a carb frenzy lately. Going to do it for a week or so and then reassess. Maybe that would help you too? Just a thought.

I like turnips in very small amounts added to soups or stews. More than one to a pot of stew is too much for me, but just a little can be rather yummy. And the greens are delicious fried with onion and garlic!
                                Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                                Primal low: 186 lbs
                                Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                                Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

Working...
                                X