No announcement yet.

Primal Journal- EmeraldRose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get that traditions like birthday cake are hard to break with kids.. but why not start a new tradition? I asked for berries and cream for my last birthday (granted, my family is pretty accepting about these things..) or what about some homemade mousse? at least you could stand a candle up in that. Or I'm sure I've seen recipes for primal cheesecake. I guess if they need to buy it elsewhere though it could be difficult. It just breaks my heart that eating something terrible is necessary because it's your birthday.. it's just... sadface.
    My Primal Blueprint Journal

Comment

Happy Birthday to you,
      Happy Birthday to you,
      Happy Birthday dear EmeraldRose,
      Happy Birthday to you!

I hope you have a wonderful day, and remember your friends at MDA are cheering for you!

Comment

Ditto -

wishing you virtual hugs on your birthday, Debraxxx
        Originally posted by Spiralicious View Post
        Happy Birthday to you,
        Happy Birthday to you,
        Happy Birthday dear EmeraldRose,
        Happy Birthday to you!

I hope you have a wonderful day, and remember your friends at MDA are cheering for you!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Happy birthday! Hope it is a really good one! Enjoy, no matter what you eat - but maybe next year you'll be able to do a primal celebration and maybe hubby could make a primal cake! Don't know if he is up for baking
          Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
          Primal low: 186 lbs
          Current weight: 221.4 lbs
          Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

Thanks guys! You all made me smile seeing the birthday wishes this morning! I admit to not being on over the weekend, but I had a great birthday!

There was conventional birthday cake, a small one from a local bakery that was chocolate and fabulous. I am honest, I wasn't sad to have some. My kids would have eaten a whole nother cake on top of the one we had...my youngest kept asking for more "happy", his not quite 2 year old way of saying birthday cake

It was a really good weekend, and I'm down another pound as well

Comment

Breakfast: half cup of Greek Gods Hermes yogurt, coffee, granny smith apple
              Lunch: (Can't wait, getting hungry...) About a cup of ground beef sauteed with mushrooms, half a cup of organic baby spinach

Dinner: Not sure yet...thawing some chicken breasts, have an organic spaghetti squash (thought I'd try it see if it's different tasting than the regular ones?), maybe more spinach?

Comment

I'm glad your birthday went well! And the scale is moving again, so that's great!
                I'm going to give that "potato" soup a try today, I will let you know how it goes over

Comment

Ok, dinner was spaghetti squash, ground beef, and mushrooms. I ate less than I was expecting. I was hungry, and plugged into my fitness pal what I thought I'd probably eat, and it wound up being maybe half that much.

I just didn't want to eat all of it. So I stopped.

And my fitness pal yelled at me for putting myself into starvation mode because I added everything up to a little over 1000 calories.

Comment

Before I forget they are in the freezer, I picked up some marrow bones at the grocery store. Any good suggestions on making a bone broth if I've never done it before?

Comment

• Haha yeah, myfitnesspal is funny like that... It's a good tool, but so not geared towards this WOE.
                      I think I'm going to have to make like you and seriously track what I'm eating for a bit, things seem to be sliding again. Damn weekends, mess with me!
                      I'm sorry, I have no clue about bone broths, but I tried making that soup and it turned out amazingly! I think I could have gotten away without any potatoes at all... The trick was, I cooked the cauliflower (and some onions) in the chicken broth, and then blended the CRAP out of it. Usually I would just use my immersion blender, but using the proper blender made the cauliflower completely invisible. You could add whatever else to it after. Let me know if you want the proper recipe

Comment

• Sure, I'd love to try it! It's the time of year for soups

Comment

• Ok, so:
                          Render some bacon in the biggest pot you own, because you're gonna want to double batch this sucker: I used 4 slices I think, but only because that was all I had left
                          Add about a cup of chopped onions, and a healthy dose of my famous seasoning (chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and S+P) cook in bacon grease until soft.
                          Add a roughly chopped up head of cauliflower along with 8 cups of chicken broth (or whatever)
                          Cook uncovered until cauli is soft, let cool.

In the meantime, chop up whatever you want to use for the chunky bits (I used potatoes and carrots, but would use turnips instead of the potatoes next time) throw them in a pan with LOTS of EVOO or coconut oil or whatever, salt and add a few unskinned cloves of garlic, and roast until tender at 325. (I covered for the first 40 mins or so, then uncovered for 20)

Once the cauli broth is cooled, blend in batches until silky-smooth. Combine this with the roasted veg, a cup of heavy cream (I admit, I thickened the cream with some corn starch, but I hear arrowroot is good for this? I will have to get some), the roasted garlic, and slowly melt in some sharp cheddar once you've reheated it all.

Serve topped with the leftover bacon, some chives and a little sprinkle of cheddar. SO GOOD! And even better the next day, apparently There was only enough leftovers for one. It's a good one to do when you're in the house, but getting other things done, as it took a couple hours altogether, but most of that is waiting. Worth the time and effort, I assure you!

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldRose View Post
                            Before I forget they are in the freezer, I picked up some marrow bones at the grocery store. Any good suggestions on making a bone broth if I've never done it before?

There is a good recipe on Nom Nom paleo website.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Thanks! Printed one out and can't wait to start it tonight.

Comment

• Let me know how it turns out! I want to try this, but I need to get good bones, I don't want to bother with CAFO ones. Maybe the grass-fed, grain-finished ones would be ok for this, and I can at least get those in town. They are hormone/antibiotic free at least... How much do you need for a decent batch?

Comment

Working...
                                X