An Aussie girl goes Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJilm View Post
    Sorry to read about the injury, perhaps some sprints on a bike might me an alternative... or some 25 or 50m freestyle sprints in the pool if it warm enough
    Thanks for the suggestions, I wish I had an exercise bike for sprints...unfortunately our place is tiny and we don't have room for much else. As for the pool, they actually opened a new indoor aquatic centre here in town last year, and it has a heated pool. Haven't checked it out yet, though maybe I will now that the weather is cooling down.

I actually woke up good as gold this morning, no pain at all. I did make this an exercise free day though, figured a day's rest wouldn't hurt.

So, Day 9 is nearly done and dusted

IF-ed til lunchtime, was a little hungry this morning but filled up on water and herbal tea so made it til midday with little discomfort.

Lunch Two roast chicken drumsticks,serve of ratatouille and a big salad with lettuce, rocket, kale, red cabbage, and red and yellow capsicum, dressing was avocado, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Started an apple but it was too sweet so threw half of it away.

Snack Was really hungry when I got home so had a small banana with cashew butter, and a few prunes.

Spent some time in the vegie patch this afternoon planting our seedlings. Have planted yellow string beans, broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage, springs onions, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, asian greens, snowpeas and kale. Pretty excited!

Dinner Had a reasonably early dinner of pork chops, cabbage fried in olive oil with bacon and onion, and steamed carrots and broccoli, it was pretty good!

Almost time to curl up in bed with a good book ...have started reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy for book group, it's a wee bit dark (as you'd expect for a post-apocalyptic story) but am really enjoying it. Also have The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf on the go, really enjoying that as well.

Right here Right now

Comment

Oh man that book depressed me! I didn't like it much...but more for the fact I didn't like the bleak, sparse style of writing, which I know was an artistic thing done to mimic the theme of the book etc, but I found it an uncomfortable read.

Glad to hear your injury is a bit better!

Comment

Yeah it's pretty bleak, no doubt about that. My neighbour dropped it off for me yesterday arvo, she didn't get more than 3 pages into it and couldn't go any further. Once I started though I couldn't stop, finished it about 15 mins ago. I actually really loved his writing style, my only issue was with having to grab my phone every few pages to look up a word he'd used. I read a LOT and reckon I have a pretty good vocab but he used words I've never even come across before. Did break the flow of the book a bit I thought. Anyway, loved the book and will be interested to see what the rest of the girls think at book group, those who actually read it that is lol

And yep injury all good ...which doesn't explain why I've done no exercise the past two days. Really need to lift my game!

Have struggled a bit today, have been restless and craving something, though don't know what it is I want. It's been really cold here, think I'm after some comfort food. Anyway onwards and upwards, a third of the way there now so not giving up.

Day 10

IF-ed til lunch. Was quite hungry this morning but managed it with a couple of cups of tea. Caved at ~11am and had a tangerine which carried me through to lunch at midday.

Lunch Three salmon and sweet potato patties, and left over vegies from last night including cabbage, carrots, broccoli and sugarsnap peas

Snack Was hungry when I got home so made a smoothie with banana, avocado, coconut cream, cocoa and water. Was utterly delicious and made me feel quite a bit better. Had the last salmon pattie too

Umm-ing and ahh-ing about dinner at the moment. Am not hungry but think I should eat. Have some lamb fillets in the fridge but don't know what to do with them. All too difficult to be honest. Might have an earlyish night and actually have breakfast tomorrow.

Right here Right now

Comment

Day 11

Has been a reasonably busy day, but have done nothing particularly exciting...mostly just house-cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping. And how I love food shopping! Always have but it's even more enjoyable now...though was getting quite cross in Woolies trying to find a curry powder/paste that wasn't full of wheat, rice or vegetable oil. Finally bought a tin of Clive of India curry powder which contains only spices and no nasties. Next time I might go armed with a curry paste recipe and buy the raw ingredients so I can make it from scratch.

Did a 5 km walk early this morning and actually managed to run (ok, jog lol) about 1.5 km of it. That issue with my groin muscle is still there though, it's ok when I jog but the moment I start to lengthen my stride it starts to really hurt. Guess I'll stick to walking/jogging for now...and definitely no sprints!

Fasted til 11am today after not having dinner last night. Did snack though at around 5pm yesterday, still 18 hours without eating and not being hungry...seems amazing to me!

Breakfast Fried up onions, red capsicum, onions and mushrooms, and filled a two-egg omelette with the mix. Had the omelette with half an avocado and salsa. Was still hungry afterwards so had a small banana and cashew butter.

Lunch Breakfast held me over til about 4pm, seemed a bit late for lunch but was hungry so had two salmon patties and a green salad (with olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing). Also had a couple of dates, a few nuts (even though I swore I wasn't going to buy them again I couldn't help myself ) and a plum.

Hmmm, dinner...not sure I feel like it. Have some lamb fillets in the fridge, should at least marinate them. Might be good grilled with just a few greens, bought some bok choy so that might work. Decisions, decisions!

Right here Right now

Comment

I love food shopping. I've always enjoyed the amount of chioce that there is and now it's even better with all the new techniques and imagination that I'm gaining trying to cook all my meals. So happy to see u enjoy it too.
            Went Primal on 1st April 2012

Since beginning Primal:
            - The stomach cramps I'd been having have vanished.
            - People comment that my skin is glowing.
            - I enjoy getting out of bed (most of the time)
            - I'm so excited by food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52255.html

Comment

Originally posted by his_chick View Post
              I love food shopping. I've always enjoyed the amount of chioce that there is and now it's even better with all the new techniques and imagination that I'm gaining trying to cook all my meals. So happy to see u enjoy it too.
              Yep, it's good fun ...though I've slacked off a bit lately and have been doing my entire food shop at the supermarket. Must get back into the habit of going to the butcher, greengrocer etc.

Day 12

Been a funny day foodwise. Couldn't think of a thing I really wanted for breakfast but was hungry. Ended up having a banana with cashew butter, two passionfruit, and a few handful of dates and brazilnuts. This unfortunately set the scene for the day and even now at 4pm I still haven't had a proper meal, just been grazing...a date here, a piece of cold lamb there...and lots of cups of tea!

Went into town late morning and saw that the Sunday markets were on and lo and behold there was a stall selling homemade curry mixes! So bought the Madras one and used it for the goat curry which is currently simmering away in the slow cooker. Have had a taste and it's not too bad, maybe a little bland? Still needs another couple of hours cooking so hopefully the flavours will develop more. Just tossed in a few cloves, cardamon pods and a stick of cinnamon so that should help things along. So that will be dinner tonight with cauliflower rice and some greens

Trying to get some work done but my OH has fallen asleep in front of Lifestyle Food and I keep getting distracted...doesn't help that it's some show about cake and I've had real sugar cravings today. Really should get off my butt and change the channel!

Last edited by Ellement; 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM.
              Right here Right now

Comment

Just had to come back to say that the goat curry was freakin' fantastic! Did have a small cheat though...had a very small amount of rice with it. I thought about cauliflower rice but in the end I just couldn't do it. So had the curry with rice, and steamed carrots and broccoli. Delicious meal, will definitely be doing this again
                Right here Right now

Comment

Did you just get goat at the local butcher??

Comment

Yep, we have this fantastic butcher here in town which sells more exotic meats such as kangaroo, goat, camel, wild boar etc. Camel is really delicious by the way...it's a pity it's not more widely sold in Australia. They're a real feral problem here in the NT and it's good to see them being culled for human consumption, though it's a shame that the biggest market is in the Middle East and not here.
                    Right here Right now

Comment

Day 13

Wow, day 13 already, almost two weeks in!

First a little whinge...about work. It's so stupidly stressful at the moment, and has been for months now. I'm trying to do the work of three people and not even getting one person's work done. Every day I feel stressed and overwhelmed...it's all so counterproductive. The more stressed I am the less I feel able to tackle even the smallest things, as a consequence I have days where I get almost nothing done. Like that helps! Am tired of having to work after hours and on weekends, and it's going to get worse because I'm going back to study mid-year. I must be mad! Not to mention that with all this stress I'm probably flooding my poor body with cortisol and undoing all the good work I'm doing with diet and exercise. Poop

Anyway enough of that, doesn't get me anywhere...better off finishing this journal post so I can get back to work...hooray

Lunch IF-ed til lunchtime. Did a 30 min walk before I ate so had a huge appetite by the time I got back to my desk. Finished off the goat curry and a pile of vegies including broccoli, carrots and bok choy. Had an apple for dessert.

Snack Was ravenous when I got home so had a small banana and 4 dates with cashew butter, and also had a passionfruit.

Dinner At this stage looks like it's going to be scotch fillet steak, with baked sweet potato, and steamed asparagus and zucchini.

Right here Right now

Comment

Ohh what are you going to study?

I hate when work takes over like that, and it gets harder to leave the stress and work at work, and it ends up
                        poisoning your time off too

If it gets to the point when I don't even have time to read my book at lunch, and again before bed, then I know life is starting to suck!

Also thanks for the info about the whole 30. Not sure I'll go that far - to be honest, not sure what I'd do if I had to cut out eggs too...hopefully cutting out the dairy will help. If anything calorie wise it should do something - cutting out whole goats milk and cheese drops my menu to below 1000, so I may need to think of a good protein source to up it just a little.

Comment

I'm signed up to do the Public Sector Management Program. It's a postgraduate diploma in management for public servants, run by Flinders Uni and will be funded by my employers. It's a fantastic opportunity but it runs for ~15 months and I have to do it on top of my full-time job. Having said that it starts in late July and I'm seriously hoping to have my two main work projects pretty much finished by then, fingers crossed! I should be a LOT less stressed by then

In regards to the Whole30 program, you don't have to give up eggs. I'd be stuck if that was the case, love my omelettes!

Day 14

Wow, two weeks...I made it! Almost wavered today, the fund-raising chocolate box has finally been refilled after lying empty the past couple of months, and those little bite-size turkish delights looked SO good. I didn't give in though. Just couldn't face coming in here and confessing my chocolatey sins! Just another 16 days and I can have some dark chocolate again, if I even want it.

Lunch IF-ed til about 11am when I had a yellow plum to break my fast. Was able to hold off having lunch til 12pm but was pretty damn hungry by then! Had a BAS with several types of greens including lettuce, kale, rocket, baby spinach and shredded basil, tomato, red capsicum, half an avocado and cold sliced scotch fillet steak, with a dressing made from olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard and a smidge of garlic.

Snack Can't give up the snacking. Had a banana and a few dates with cashew butter, and 6 brazil nuts.

Dinner Roast pork and vegies, not sure what sort yet...feel like roast pumpkin and carrots, maybe some cauliflower rice...and broccoli? Sounds good I reckon.

Didn't get any exercise today and probably should but really not feeling it, definitely tomorrow though.

Right here Right now

Comment

Ah right, I must have been thinking of the autoimmune protocol....I must be just about whole 30 anyway then now I've given up dairy!
                            I can't even read about those dates and cashew butter in case I run over to the shops and get some lol.

Wow that sounds intense, study on top of full time work. I have a few friends working full time and doing masters, it's insane! But if work is paying for it you're right, too good to pass up.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking your diet now must be pretty close to the Whole30...and the dates and cashew butter are sooo delicious, I probably shouldn't be indulging my sweet tooth so much but that combination is so hard to resist!

Have read Mark's topic of the day I've decided to take up his challenge and get an hour's walk in each day for the next week. Probably can't do the full hour at lunchtimes on weekdays so will break it up into half an hour at lunch and half an hour after work. Awesome that a long weekend is coming up for the NT, will be easily able to get a long walk in each day...in fact should make the most of this fantastic weather we're having and go for a good long hike one day!

Right here Right now

Comment

I think the walking is important, but man, I just don't have time to spend many hours just walking every week. Short bursts of exercise are more practical because I don't have time! I walk to the shops when I don't have too much to get, and park on the road at uni rather than on campus, but it's tough...

Comment

Working...
                                X