No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Doctor Who fans out there? A couple of seasons ago there was a scene where Amy and the Doctor had been taken prisoner by aliens - Amy wearing ultra short shorts and the Doctor in a suit - and were assessed thusly: "Obviously the female of the species has greater resistance to cold." I laughed my head off because I often think much the same when watching films, with women in the scantiest of scanties, and men in dinner jackets, leather, etc.

Went hiking with a friend in a warm rain, very enjoyable. Stopped at a new lobster wharf and checked out the goods. Actually a new/old place - it had fallen into decrepitude and has just been renovated. Very picturesque. Wish them well.

Had a slab of tuna and some raspberries. Wine with my friend.

Puffins tomorrow!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Hi Siobhan, been off for a few days, I agree with the cats! Take some time with your cheese and wine (I can hear a Hallelujah chorus for that one!) and unwind. Once you are relaxed and recovered the closets and boxes will be ready and waiting. They won't go bad if left a little longer - take a nice walk, listen to some good music, lie in the sun, take a bubble bath etc etc. Let us know what worked and how you feel
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Ha! Littlest has just been watching that season. (I get it by osmosis.)

Comment

• The puffins were stupendous. Someone must have told them we were coming, because they put on a spectacular show. Flying in formation right across the bow, then turning around for an encore, resting in the waves right next to the boat, occasionally raising their wings so we could admire them from all angles, standing tall on the rocks. Lots and lots of them. The day was perfect, blue skies, light breeze, quite warm. Some days they don't see any! On the way back it hit me that I had seen a sight that not very many people in this world have seen.

Had my first primal blip. My friends wanted to stop for ice cream, which I had no interest in eating. I ordered a sandwich that was on special, thinking it would be quick. I didn't bother to tell him to leave off the bread because I thought it would take too long to explain. It took twenty minutes to get the sandwich and of course my friends's ice cream was long gone. Got it wrapped up to go. Complete waste of money as I have all the ingredients at home and in more generous quantities too. It occurred to me later I should have asked if they have coffee. Live and learn. But I picked up some raspberries, stopped in a park on the way home and ate everything primal in the shade of some beautiful trees with flowers all around. I did NOT leave the bread for the wildlife as it is no better for them than it is for me.

Scale was down this morning - 141.5 lbs FWIW. Got a little bit excited as a new number on the scale is in sight.

Yesterday my friend and I dished about people we know with boats and might be interested in having sailing companions. Turns out there are quite few. Hope that pans out!

Rode my bike a little ways, mostly downhill! Had to get off and walk quite a bit on the way back. Still counts as exercise, right?

Well, I have had quite a nice day, and I am tired. Going to rest for awhile, read, drink some H2O. I have eaten quite a bit, up to 1000 calories but as it is 4 PM maybe that isn't so bad. I think dinner tonight will be a smoothie. Back to work tomorrow night for three nights.

Cats are talking to each, must go see what that is about -

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Watching men's beach volleyball, they are wearing baggy shorts down to their knees. Long baggy shirts too. Freakin' annoying.

Comment

• Want to add before I forget - have gone through this whole summer without a sunburn. Spent all morning on a boat with brilliant sunshine - no burn at all. I have a very, very slight hint of brownish color that might be called a tan. Have not used sunscreen at all. Weird.

Comment

• Did what I always mean to do and never seem to find time for - cooked up a storm. I'm working the next three nights, and I can safely say that I have enough food to last. Made a big pot of cabbage cooked in butter, a pound or so of organic chicken sausage, lots of zucchini, lots of cut-up fruit ready to go. Plenty of salad greens, some rotisserie chicken. It's a nice feeling, and I only had to wash one pan!

Also remembered a really great salsa sold here - a local concoction, organic, etc. that tastes way better than anything I have ever made. I cut up my avocado and mixed it up with some salsa - keep sit it from oxidizing and tastes unbelievably good. I almost ate the entire bowl - took great force of will to put half of it away.

Another day in paradise here in Maine. What a nice summer we are having!

A couple of weeks ago I bought one of those Ahh Bras sold at the drugstore - thought it would make a nice around-the-house lounging bra - and have been very pleasantly surprised. It is really great, so comfortable and does what it should without binding anywhere. Today I went to buy another and of course they now have a different kind, although oddly at half the price. Anyway, I bought two (came in a package) and am even more surprised that I like them even better. These have pads, which I do not need, but are really good at avoiding show-through. They are very thin pads, however. The pads also add a bit of support. I am very happy with the result - it is like the support of a sports bra without the uni-boob look and without the binding and discomfort. I would never have thought a bra like this could work for D-cup me. Just sayin' - if you are in the market for a cheap, comfortable, supportive bra give it a try. I got mine at Rite-Aid.
                Last edited by Siobhan; 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Hi Siobhan,

I saw what you posted for your latest number on the scale - congrats on that! How exciting. I'm a little envious, but mostly happy for you . You are a great inspiration and I have started getting more serious about my primal eating.

I made the zucchini/bleu cheese thing you posted last week. OMG - that was wonderful. I made mine with pine nuts instead of walnuts. Just because that is what I had on hand. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting that. And congrats again - keep up the inspirational work!

Comment

• Puffin trip sounds truly magical how fabulous n fantastic news from the scales too ! That s really wonderful
                    My Primal Journal :http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60751.html

Comment

• Pine nuts are great with zucchini. I should get some. They are little fat bombs, too, which I like very much.

I felt something I haven't felt in ages and ages. In fact I had forgotten that I have sit bones. Sitting in my chair, I can feel the bones poking through the fleshy bits. Whaddya know...

Getting ready to eat something, not sure what...anticipation...anticipation...

Comment

• I was looking through my books and thinking about dairy and fats and blah blah blah and realized, "It is ain't broke, don't fix it." The weight is coming off, I feel great, I am healthy. I'm just going to keep doing what I am doing. If it stops working I will tinker with it.

Comment

• I think that's so sensible! I've been figuring that maybe I'll cut down on dairy when I hit a major plateau but things are ok so why not stay happy!

And after posting this I decided to join the August Whole30 challenge so no dairy for me for 30 days... waaaah.
                          Last edited by KerryK; 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM. Reason: Joined the Whole30 so added a comment
                          SW: 243
                          CW: 177
                          Goal: Health

Comment

• Siobhan - as I said earlier, your comments on my journal have helped to keep me going, so the least I could do is check in on your journal. Loved how you describe your kind of 'aha' moment with the pizza and cats (btw my cats and dog all eat no-grain food and the dog gets lots of raw bones). Sounds like your introduction was pretty similar to mine, with almost immediate results as far as nagging symptoms disappearing. I simply got the point where my weight was 'good enough' and found how to eat to hold it there. Sounds like you're more committed than I've been - good for you and I wish you continued success! Funny we're about as far from each other as one can get in the continental US, yet still have the same realizations.

Comment

• Have you tried shovelglove yet? I went to his site, and chose five different movements. Found that doing five repetitions of each on both sides, took me five minutes to do two sets. So it was easy to bum up minute by minute, toward my goal of fourteen. Today I did eight minutes, and since I didn't do it yesterday, I could really feel it by the end. And yet, I don't think it will be difficult to work up to 14 minutes.
                              Last edited by Sabine; 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM. Reason: Bizarre duplication-must be the sunstroke.

Comment

• I have done a little bit - I watched the video and did the movements just using a walking stick. Today I used the sledgehammer; of course I couldn't do much, but I could do it and it was fun. I love the idea that I'm doing actual useful movements that are helpful for real life. I just have to make sure I don't send the sledgehammer through the French doors! And thanks for the comments, it is really nice for me to hear that others out there have the same experiences.

The cats's diets is coming along very slowly. I put grain-free kibble down two nights a week, basically to just keep them used to eating it if they have to. They simply would not eat the high-quality canned food or raw liver. They wouldn't even eat the better-quality Fancy Feast - the stuff without wheat gluten - unless I serve it with the bad stuff. So they are getting half and half good FF and bad FF. I have hopes that someday they will be totally off the bad FF but...baby steps. They aren't as committed to the primal lifestyle as I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X