Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Photo for Today

Native Americans.jpg

At the Dance. Part of the 8th U.S. Cavalry and 3rd Infantry at the great Indian Grass Dance on Reservation Group portrait of Big Foot's (Miniconjou) band and federal military men, in an open field, at a Grass Dance on the Cheyenne River, S.D.--on or near Cheyenne River Indian Reservation. 1890.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Beautiful Photo for Today

Lavender.jpg

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Not having a good day, although I must keep my perspective. These aren't really problems, just little blips.

Last night my pager wasn't working - actually it was the phone line that was faulty, leading to hysteria at work for no good reason. Just that people panic when things don't go the way they think they will - my soothing presence and facility with the EKG machine were required and they couldn't get hold of me. All was well in the end - no harm at all to the patient who was, predictably, having a minor panic attack.

Had to fast for a blood test this morning for the insurance nonsense we go through every year. The fasting was no problem in itself but it threw off my routine. Was really hungry...couldn't go to sleep...ate something...went to sleep, had really, really bad dream such as I have not had in years. So I was all disturbed and discombobulated. Woke up at my normal time and saw a call from Landlord. Never good. He has noticed the electric bill is really high and is going to raise my rent. Thank you very much. It went up in November - duh - and he has just noticed it now. Feel like I'm kind of living in a bad dream but trying to keep perspective.

I know that this has NOTHING to do with my paying rent or paying my own way and I don't expect any charity, or need any for that matter, but if there is one thing I can't stand it's hypocrisy. He is a pillar of the church and always being lauded for giving away money and time and firewood and other things - sure, he is a really good person. He has boatloads of $$$ - two government pensions and family money, which is none of my business and again doesn't have anything to do with my paying for my living space. But if I think too much about the guy who is applauded in church and the guy who is standing at the bottom of my stairs saying I can't have firewood and I am using too much electricity to stay warm I can't reconcile the two. So best not to think about it.

It has crossed my mind, of course, that it might be time to move on. Possibly I could find a more economical place, and closer to work while still being close to my beloved pool and library. This place has been pretty economical. But it seems I just keep getting hit with more demands for money at every turn, and I don't make more money. I am so tired of being stressed about cash flow. Every time I put out one fire, another pops up.

Just feeling crappy. I think it is time to go to the pool.

Also I will end on a positive note. RittenRemedy mentioned hazelnut milk and I thought I'd give it a whirl - I think I have finally found a non dairy substitute for coffee and tea. Much cheaper than goat milk and, well, non-dairy. Also shelf-stable so I can easily keep it around. Thanks RR!

Also, badgergirl recommended several truly mind-opening books that I have been enjoying. One of them, A Book of Silence by Sara Maitland, references Donald Crowhurst and the Sunday Times Golden Globe race in 1968. Why had I never heard of this before? Fascinating on so many levels, and not just the spectacular mystery of Crowhurst. I've watched an excellent film, Deep Water about this event. This stuff is right up my alley - mystical, spiritual, physical, historical. So many thanks to badgergirl.
        Last edited by Siobhan; 05-23-2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Another Quote Today

"The noblest question in the world is what good may I do in it." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Look around, see whats available, cost it out, then decide stay or go.
            Female 55
            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• So, so pleased you are enjoying A Book of Silence. I have the feeling I shall return to that book again and again.
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not going to make any crazy decisions. What I really hate is that helpless, not-in-control-of-my-fate feeling. As a renter, I am always at the mercy of the property owner. Of course I realize that if I had my own property I would have other problems, probably even more severe. And I am just so tired of watching prices and costs go up and up and up and my salary remains static. What ever happened to the American dream?

Had a kind of surreal experience at the pool. I was the only person there, just me in a six-lane pool with two lifeguards chatting quietly by the side. I was doing laps, really swimming well (for me), nice and smooth and suddenly I started to dry. Of course I am wearing goggles and I'm in a pool, which is as good a place to cry as any. It was weird to be swimming and crying at the same time. Can't say I've ever done that. After about half an hour I got out and headed for the sauna. I cried a lot more. No one was there, and I bawled like an infant with a wet diaper and half an hour late for feeding. Several times I went out and stood under the cold shower. At one point I looked up and someone was swimming in the lane I had just vacated. I had the weird sensation that I was watching myself. Anyway, time passed that way for awhile, I don't know how long. Then a couple of young girls, 10 or 11 years old, got in the warm pool, right outside the sauna and starting playing in the water. That cheered me up a lot, watching them throwing a ball around, laughing. Finally I went and took a really, really, really long shower.

I can't say it was cathartic or made me feel better. It was just something that happened. So much stress lately, not just the landlord thing. It is such a hard, cold, cruel, unfeeling world. Most of the time. Not always. It has some great moments, which makes living worthwhile. Feel kind of uncomfortable putting all of this here, but this is my journal and this is what it is for.

Luckily I have a few days off, till Tuesday night. I can refresh myself with exercise, music, felines, food, books, and friends.

Comment

• On a more positive note, my work physical went great this morning. I weighed EXACTLY what I weighed last year, 137 lbs. I'm not sure I have ever in my life maintained my weight like this. BP was perfect, etc. I am in perfect health. What more could I ask for?

Bit of indulgence tonight - primal style. Liverwurst, mustard, Kerrygold butter, onion, rice crackers. Heaven.
                  Last edited by Siobhan; 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Also on a positive note, I have season six of Big Bang Theory and season three of Game of Thrones from the library, FREE! What a great distraction. BBT makes me laugh harder than just about anything and Game of Thrones make me happy I don't live in that fantasy world.

Comment

• I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

Just wanted to let you know I can relate. When it rains it pours.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                        I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

Just wanted to let you know I can relate. When it rains it pours.
                        Truer words were never spoken! Thanks for being here!

Comment

• I'm here too sending love and light to you
                          link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• It sucks so much to move, and that's what some landlords count on. I hope you'll find something wonderful.

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains. And we never even know we have the key."

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Thanks all, you guys are the best! Last night, before I fell asleep, it occurred to me that he wants me to move out, although he didn't say so. I wonder if that is going to be the next thing dropped on me. Well, well, well.

Also last night I dropped a Game of Thrones disc into my DVD player and was rather disturbed to revisit the horrible feeling I had after waking from the terrible dream. Yep, don't know why I didn't connect the two right away. Game of Thrones is giving me nightmares. So no more. I'll take it back to the library today. I've read all the books - it's not like I don't know what is going to happen. And I think the TV series is excellent, actually much better than the books. But not for me.

The birds will miss me if I leave here.

Comment

• Sorry you are down. Your journal is the perfect place to talk about it. Remember we adore you. You always lift my spirits with your quotes and pics. Thanks.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X