It starts with an 'S'
    It ends with a 'T'
    It comes out of you
    And it comes out of me
    I know what you're thinking
    But don't call it that
    Be scientific
    Just call it scat!

Whether you be man, woman, or beast, poop is one of the most important markers of health that you can monitor on a daily basis.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Pic for Today

cows-in-a-pasture.jpg
      Last edited by Siobhan; 03-09-2014, 02:22 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Blog for the Day

This might become my new favorite food blog. Seasonal and Savory About | Seasonal & Savory

Comment

• Made a really nice butter sauce from all the bits and pieces in the fridge. Cooked some scallops in it and ate it with some white rice. Really, really good! Also a green salad. Had a cup of herb tea (Bengal Spice) and two gluten-free ginger snaps (Aleia's).

Cosmos tonight - a kind of remake of the classic. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• Memorial service is tomorrow, the final run-through is right before. Am pretty nervous! But I'm glad it is a piece that I know and have sung before in public.

Landlord is back from a week's holiday. I am sad...it was so nice and quiet. No slamming doors. Back to reality.

Comment

• Siobhan, how special to sing at this lady's farewell, and how priceless the note she 'gave' you!! That is a treasure indeed .... never stop singing! It is good for you and those who hear it. I have to say that the video you posted brought tears to my eyes - such a beautiful reminder of the fact that our journey's are not in isolation, but with God watching over us. Most timely for our situation. Thank you! I'm glad you had a week of respite - always hard to come thumping down to reality. That is one of the things that we just love about the place we are trying to buy - quiet and peaceful. It is really pretty noisy where we live - we had just zoned it out while we were here as there was nothing we could do about it. But, we are so excited to be done with it. I pray you find the quiet places to enjoy - sunny walks sound great!
              Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
              Primal low: 186 lbs
              Current weight: 221.4 lbs
              Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Bengal Spice ... one of my favorites!

I have just got back from a teacher exchange in Kenya and though my diet was mainly carbs (ugali - maize dumpling, rice, bananas, chipati AND potatoes) with a little cabbage, greens and meat stew + fruit: I have not put on any weight! How is that? Admittedly I ate as sparingly as manners would allow and drank a lot of water and black coffee. Unfortunately returned with pnuemonia after carefully avoiding mosquito bites (malaria), deli-belly and sunburn! I have just spent my recouperation catching up!

So sorry about your dear friend Siobhan .... the service will be beautiful and a fitting tribute to her memory. I'll be thinking of you.

I went to our (new!) gym today for a very very gentle re-introduction and cannot believe how lovely a new gym is .. it closed just before I went away as the new one rose on the otherside of the carpark. This is really going to help everyone where I live enjoy working out and the library moves in in 3 weeks. Very holistic!

Comment

• The service went beautifully and although I was very nervous, our song went very well. None of us cried, which was really hard! Crying is hard on the voice. The church was packed to the rafters and the overflow area also. I don't want to go on too much about my little part as it was about my friend and not about me, but I never performed in such a small group to such a large audience! I really liked it, though, and the service was wonderful. Lots of music since she loved music so much. And now it is over and life goes on.

I think I know why you didn't gain weight, ragwort. No processed food! That sounds like pretty much of a whole food extravaganza! No Burger King, I am guessing. No pizza delivery. No cartons of ice cream. And it sounds like a wonderful adventure. Sorry to hear about the pneumonia - it is pretty common in many parts of the world although it doesn't get a lot of press. Can be caused by so many different things.

Coll, hoping you get a new home soon! It will be so much fun to hear about your new place and all the creative things you will do. I shouldn't whine so much about my landlord - talk about First World Problems. I really have nothing to complain about. There are people with no homes at all and nothing to eat - and people with fabulous homes who are desperately unhappy. I have a nice home and a happy life with lots of choices.

Still meatless although I did have the remains of chicken soup that I made before Lent. No way was I going to throw away perfectly good food. I have a spaghetti squash and an eggplant all roasted and ready to make into delightful dishes at my leisure. The butter sauce I made yesterday will be very good with squash, and I have been thinking that baba ganoush will be very tasty. Also some bell peppers.

Comment

• It sounds like the service was lovely. Oh to live a life that people would do such beautiful things to help you be remembered! I sing in my spiritual center too on occassion. I have a normal voice, not great, but I guess not bad either. I sure do enjoy it, almost especially the fear of doing it in front of a bunch of people with a microphone! Oh the brave things we do these days! Grok on in Maine as I do in AZ!
                    This is my journal page!
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• Thank you, Wendy, and many Groks to you!

Yesterday I made some baba ganoush and it was so delicious that the entire thing disappeared somehow. I am paying the price this morning. An entire eggplant with the fixings, a large carrot, bell peppers...what was I thinking? My intestines are an unhappy place right now.

I've been meatless for a week now (plenty of seafood, though) and I've lost four pounds. Hmmm. It's not a magic trick, however, just simple calorie restriction. I don't eat as much fish and even slathered in Kerrygold fish has a lot less calories. I think I've jolted my body into losing mode. I hope so! I would like to lose a few pounds before the nice weather and the shedding of clothing begins.

This morning I made some paleo bread, put Kerrygold, cashew butter, and sliced green bananas on it. Very delicious. For some reason I think that will settle down the gurgling. I couldn't stand to think of anything else.

For the record I am still consuming bone broth and plan to continue even though I am meatless. It is just too nutritious to stop, and I'm not going to waste the considerable amount I have made. I will run out though, and where will I get bones to make more?

Feeling very tired and not so good. This is, however, making me realize that I rarely am under the weather, much less ill, and that my normal state is healthy and energetic. I used to feel bad like this all of the time! How did I function? I'm really appreciating my good health and primal living!

Comment

• Today I lifted heavy things - brought up several armloads of firewood. I don't know if I mentioned that when I had to purchase some firewood I ended up putting it in a shed that is way down a very steep hill. Bringing it up is quite treacherous as the ground is very uneven as well as steep. But I can only put a little in the garage, there isn't room. Anyway, I treat it as healthy activity aka lifting heavy things. I have learned to keep a nice low fire in the woodstove so this should last for awhile. Maybe til spring, hahahahahaha!

When I was CW, my favorite comfort food was toast and milk. I always got a headache afterwards, but I would eat it anyway. Tonight at work I was presented with a loaf of Rudi's gluten-free bread (someone bought it by accident, although I can't quite figure out how) and was going to throw it away! Can you imagine? I toasted a slice and had a few swigs of goat milk. Alright, I will admit that it was heavenly. One just doesn't get over these things. But I will not make a habit of it. Oh, and I did not get a headache.

Feeling much, much better. I slept all afternoon! Three and a half hours at least. Woke up a little groggy still but good to go. The intestines have settled down nicely. It will be awhile before I consume that much veg at one time. Duh.
                        Last edited by Siobhan; 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• This has been a weird week of turmoil and I'm glad it is over. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that the same co-worker who tried to kill himself has been diagnosed with inoperable renal cancer. It has been very difficult for all of my coworkers both in my department and in other parts of the hospital. Not only has it been hard for all the obvious reasons, but there have been weird dynamics and melodramatic 'performances' from people who never had a good word to say about the guy. I am glad to have a few days off and be well out of it.

On the subject of work, which I can't say too much about, I am very happy about a situation that occurred last night and my recommendations were implemented by the physicians and the patient turned around and the situation resolved nicely. We rarely have situations that get wrapped and tied with a bow like this one and so I am savoring this instance.

Slept very well today. Woke up and made a Nicoise salad of sorts with homemade dressing (of course). Tarragon, mustard, walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper. Purple potatoes, tuna, hard-boiled egg, capers, leafy greens. Very delicious. Then I went swimming and now I am feeling really good. Considering a glass of wine.

Comment

• Hi Siobhan

I'm sure you've posted this before but which paleo bread recipe do you use ... I can't seem to find one I like?

The work situation sounds tough ... it needs time for reflection by everyone it seems?

Comment

• Originally posted by ragwort View Post
                              Hi Siobhan

I'm sure you've posted this before but which paleo bread recipe do you use ... I can't seem to find one I like?

The work situation sounds tough ... it needs time for reflection by everyone it seems?
                              I use Tara Grant's recipe: tara grant | www.primalgirl.com Yeah, it costs $4. I feel it is well worth it. She includes a dairy and a non-dairy version - I have only made the non-dairy one. If you spring for it, I'll give you a couple of tips - it's actually easier than she makes it sound.

Definitely a time for reflection, myself included! I am seriously analyzing a lot of things. Like retirement. I had fully planned on working until full retirement age, i.e. 67. Now I am rethinking that. I can make it work - I will be changing things up. Also...big news...kinda...I have a date tomorrow night. There is a guy that has asked me out several times and I have turned him down for spurious reasons that I won't get into for the sake of brevity. But I talked to him on Friday night and we are going out Sunday. It is just a first date, but it is one of those situations where I realized that what I have been looking for has possibly been right in front of me for some time. I don't want to make too much of it, but I am really looking forward to it, which is a different feeling for me. It has been a long time since I have looked forward to going on an actual date. Wish me luck! Or better yet, pray for me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                                I use Tara Grant's recipe: tara grant | www.primalgirl.com Yeah, it costs $4. I feel it is well worth it. She includes a dairy and a non-dairy version - I have only made the non-dairy one. If you spring for it, I'll give you a couple of tips - it's actually easier than she makes it sound.

Definitely a time for reflection, myself included! I am seriously analyzing a lot of things. Like retirement. I had fully planned on working until full retirement age, i.e. 67. Now I am rethinking that. I can make it work - I will be changing things up. Also...big news...kinda...I have a date tomorrow night. There is a guy that has asked me out several times and I have turned him down for spurious reasons that I won't get into for the sake of brevity. But I talked to him on Friday night and we are going out Sunday. It is just a first date, but it is one of those situations where I realized that what I have been looking for has possibly been right in front of me for some time. I don't want to make too much of it, but I am really looking forward to it, which is a different feeling for me. It has been a long time since I have looked forward to going on an actual date. Wish me luck! Or better yet, pray for me!
                                Oh, so happy about the date; he is a lucky dude

Retire ASAP, you wouldn't believe the feeling of such freedom!!

Comment

Working...
                                X