Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet stuff:

Bulletproof coffee is not for me. I just like eating too much. And it didn't work. I was hungry and did not experience the energy. Also the taste was yucky IMHO. I also tried bulletproof green tea, same results. But if it works for you, great! I'm glad I tried it, now I can stop wondering about it.

After hearing about resistant starch for awhile and not knowing what it was other than a great excuse to eat tasty carbs, I read Chris Kresser's stuff and have been working on having some every day with great results in the digestive department. All is well on the poop front for the past week, and it hadn't been so good despite eliminating dairy. I was rather surprised to find that Tara Grant's paleo bread recipe (actually more like crackers or flatbread) is just what the doctor ordered, Dr. Kresser that is! It seems too good to be true that it is important for promoting healthy gut flora. No, I'm not trying to sell her recipe, just giving credit where it is due. And inexpensive also, unlike most of the things that are recommended and/or taste really good. Funny, I read The Perfect Health Diet and it didn't make an impression on me in the same way. Maybe it was hearing Kresser's presentation that sparked something in my brain.

Weighed myself yesterday for the first time in a long time. I am exactly the same as I was on January 1, 137 lbs.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Pic For Today

Yes, I love these beautiful creatures. I loved communing with them back in my scuba diving days.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I know that many people here aren't religious, but this short essay can be read in a non-religious context. It really made an impression on me - I feel it is so applicable in much of our lives.

Skipping
        Molly Baskette

Why is it that most people at the gym have such a look of grim determination, as if on a death march? Last week I tried out a new boot camp class. The instructor interrupted it ten minutes before the end to tell us she had a "fun surprise" for us. The blank stares and set mouths were interrupted only by a few audible groans.

The surprise, it turned out, was that we were going to file downstairs to the basketball court, where she cheerfully commanded us to skip in a giant circle. Everybody complied, dutifully, big and little, male and female, all of them wearing the same grim expression they had worn for reverse crunches a minute earlier.

Except for me. I had to tie my shoe. And by the time I was ready, there was no place in the circle for me. Thirty grownups high-skipping resolutely in a circle, trying madly to keep up with the person next to them, meant there was no room for me to edge my way in.

Sometimes I think that is what visitors see when they visit our churches for the first time: a bunch of grim-faced grownups in a determined dance, who all know the steps and haven't left room for a latecomer.

We don't mean to be so grim-faced. We've just forgotten why we do this. It's not just for the benefit of exercising our spirits. It's for the joy in it. We've stopped hearing the voice of the Lord, a voice that would, like a joyful boot camp instructor, strip us bare of our misbegotten dignity and make us skip like a calf.

After an embarrassingly long pause, one young woman noticed me at the edge. As she sped by, she looked me straight in the eye, slowed her skipping at risk of making everyone else topple, smiled to split her face and hollered "Come in, come in! There's room!"

And there was.

Comment

• My Mom was not negative ALL the time, but occasionally we would have a conversation much like the one you have described.

I know it's really difficult but something that helped me was to try to "walk a mile" in her shoes. You and I still have fairly busy lives with work, cooking, housekeeping, friends, hobbies etc. whereas your Mom probably not so much. I am assuming she has lots of time to sit by herself and think about stuff. Sometimes this can become all consuming and then when you call, you get the verbalization of all the time spent thinking.
          I also found that my Mom would get very focused on one thing. If she ran out of hairspray for example she would bug me about it until I brought it too her. It used to make me crazy until I realized she really didn't have much else to occupy her time and thoughts. I don't know Siobhan if I am way off base here but I'm just offering some examples of my experience. I lost my Mom in July and I miss her terribly.
          Please try to be patient with your mother. I know it's hard but one day you will be glad you made the effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
            Sorry this is a stress for you. I know what it is like. I'm sure the negativity makes it hard to keep a conversation going. Just try to focus on the satisfaction of doing what you can. You can't make HER happy, so your virtue will have to be the reward.

Maybe you shouldn't try to be positive. Is she one of those people who like gloom and doom? Maybe she would like it if you bitched about something.
            Oh, she LOVES it when I commiserate and wallow down in the pits with her. To be fair, I think she feels that she is 'helping' me by agreeing how horrible life is. I always feel kind of horrible after a conversation like that. I wonder how she feels? I'll never really know.

Comment

• I'm thinking its important to remember her attitude belongs to her. You are not a bad daughter for not wanting to be around a bad attitude. Make your weekly phone call and beforehand thank God for the opportunity to practice patience and talk to her about whatever comes up. Reward yourself when you are done and move on, resolving to not be that way in your life is the only part that you have control over.
              Female 55
              Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
              Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
                My Mom was not negative ALL the time, but occasionally we would have a conversation much like the one you have described.

I know it's really difficult but something that helped me was to try to "walk a mile" in her shoes. You and I still have fairly busy lives with work, cooking, housekeeping, friends, hobbies etc. whereas your Mom probably not so much. I am assuming she has lots of time to sit by herself and think about stuff. Sometimes this can become all consuming and then when you call, you get the verbalization of all the time spent thinking.
                I also found that my Mom would get very focused on one thing. If she ran out of hairspray for example she would bug me about it until I brought it too her. It used to make me crazy until I realized she really didn't have much else to occupy her time and thoughts. I don't know Siobhan if I am way off base here but I'm just offering some examples of my experience. I lost my Mom in July and I miss her terribly.
                Please try to be patient with your mother. I know it's hard but one day you will be glad you made the effort.
                I know, that is part of the difficulty of these feelings, I am so happy to still have her and I know that many people would give all of their teeth and some other body parts as well to still have their mother. But it helps that I can unload occasionally. I just wish I could figure out some formula for not making myself crazy and also to find something to say that might bring some joy into her life. I will keep trying.

Comment

• Random thoughts:

Watching this Russian skater Evgeny Plushenko is rather unexpectedly emotional. We've been watching this guy for so long! As an old person it is so great to see a much younger but still kinda old person out there trying as hard as possible and still giving out these great performances. Four Olympics! No wonder I am having a hard time remembering when I didn't see him skate.

On skating - why do they always immediately replay if there is a fall? WTF? Why don't they show a highlight? Why don't they pick out something the skater did really beautifully and show that? If I was in charge, that is what they would do.

That 'healthy grains' Special K commercial makes me CRAZY. Not in a good way. I play it in my mind like this:

Woman in food truck: Would you like to try some healthy cereal?

Me: No thank you. I'd rather drink my own pee.

Comment

• I have the same issues with my mother. And I have very little patience with it!!! In fact just last month I audibly exclaimed to God as I was walking around the car to enter the drivers side, "Lord, I swear I'm going to strangler her today!" Her negativity is just sometimes too much to deal with!!!

My mother and I have never been close - she was never the "involved" type of mom that some people have been blessed with. As a result, my relationship now is one of "duty" - but I do my best to show her love and affection, even if I'm not feeling it. She has a very small world - as most of her friends have either passed on, or are living in a care facility or with relatives now. She's pretty much all alone. Her life consists of an early morning walk to the mailbox, then TV and household chores. She's got very limited eyesight so even TV is difficult for her. I feel sorry for her. She will eventually come to live with us since her borderline agoraphobia would make it really hard for her to live in a care facility. I'm not looking forward to that time.

Secretly - I pray she goes quietly in her sleep before her health gets to the point where she will need to come live with us. I'm not proud of those thoughts - but there they are.
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion
                    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Well, I think we all wish that for our loved ones - not before their time, but I know that I pray my mom won't have to suffer through any more hospitalizations. Every one is worse than the last. If only she would agree to live with my sister, who has offered repeatedly to accommodate her in style. (I think it is pretty generous of her to offer to knock out a wall, create a new living room and put in a kitchenette.)

Watching the Olympics (of course I am) and enjoying it immensely.

Comment

• A'ight, this made me laugh so hard:

1463941_10152305451299574_1622705690_n.jpg

A little vulgar, but very real!
                        Last edited by Siobhan; 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Really like these snowboarding uniforms:

Comment

• Our indoor cat was very interested in the snow 2 wks ago, so I opened the door and she stepped out. High stepped around and was fast getting back in. Dogs had running fits, ate a ton of it, couldn't get them back in. Love your pic, typical pissed cat look.

Uniform pics are terrific. Can you buy those somewhere?

Comment

• Hi Siobhan! I just have to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your introduction! It's witty, funny, and so easy to relate to!
                              Lora

obligatory introduction
                              journal

Comment

• Thank you LoraEwinaga! I'm glad you like it.

I would think they would be available, although a quick search by me didn't find anything. The story of their design is really nice, IMHO - the designers found an old quilt and an old flag in antique shops and painstakingly replicated them on the jacket. Apparently the athletes really like them, they are very good for snowboarders, easy to move in. The pants are a waterproof corduroy, I would love a pair of those! Much more stylist than my noisy snow pants. Much pricier, I am sure. I thought the uniforms were quite striking and surprisingly easy to see against the snow.

I think I laughed so hard at the cat pic because I heard the almost identical exclamation at the gas station last weekend - minus the 'cat' of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X