Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for Today

Pay attention to your macronutrient ratios. (I know this is not a popular tip.) Too many carbs, not enough carbs, not enough protein, too little fat - yeah, all of that stuff. If you're not losing weight, track your macros and adjust until you start losing.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I know I said I was only going to do the tips and whatnot through January but I was away for awhile taking care of my mom, and the fact is that I enjoy it, so I'm going to keep posting stuff.

I went down to the approved woodpile and sorted through the nasty stuff which is now under 7 inches of snow. Took me awhile, but I found a decent armful. I was walking up the hill (in 7 inches of snow, but I am a powerful cavewoman after all) and the log on the bottom of the pile broke - basically just disintegrated - and the whole armful collapsed. Some fell on my foot but luckily I was wearing good boots (of course I was, what else would I wear down a steep hill in 7 inches of snow?) I was really annoyed. This wood is just crap. I gathered up a few bits and continued up the hill and up the stairs and made a fire. In about five minutes I was coughing and sneezing quite a lot. I think the wood is too moldy. I opened the windows and dug out the business card from my firewood guy. He is bringing me half a cord tomorrow. I have no idea where I'm going to stack it. (Can you tell I am a bit annoyed?)

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Is there room inside the garage for it, maybe in front of where you park your car?

Comment

• Yes, it should fit there. I was thinking of that spot, although I don't know how he will feel about it. Obviously there is no time to build a home for it although I could cover it with a tarp, which is unsightly. Would be great to have it in a convenient place so I don't have to fight the elements to get to it. I mean, it's winter. That is kind of the point.

Comment

• (I'm kinda going crazy with posting.)

Okay, I'm ridiculously excited about the Olympics. I didn't realize they actually started today, although the opening ceremonies are tomorrow. I heard the swim team talking about it in the locker room or I wouldn't have known. Guess it pays to hang out in the locker room sometimes! Although getting dressed hardly counts as 'hanging out.'

Speaking of getting dressed, I had a major, MAJOR score at the thrift shop. I found a pair of green khaki cargo pants that are virtually identical to my favorite old pair but even better! Yes, how is that possible? They are less wrinkly and the pockets lay flatter. Now I can LIVE in my khaki cargo pants.

Comment

• Am feeling ridiculously paleo tonight. My dinner was entirely comprised of local food. Grass-fed beef from down the road, parsnips (same), seasoned liberally with a spice mix that was locally produced. So delicious! Parsnips are great.

I enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the pool this afternoon, shock of shocks. Must mean that my self imposed hibernation has been long enough!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                PRIMALCON NEW YORK! And it's on my BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Lots of mixed feelings here. Actually, mainly only one feeling, which is sheer terror. I've always said I would go if there was one that was driving distance, and I have wanted to go really badly, but now that it is here and available all the old Nays are popping up. What if it's all couples? What if I don't feel comfortable? It's too expensive...you know the drill.
                I'd say, if you can make it work financially, go for it. Hubby & I went to Oxnard twice, 2011 & 2013, and it was awesome. Plenty of singles, total mix of ages and fitness levels. There were the uber fit 20 somethings, just starting out not at all conditioned peeps, and those into their 60s for sure. A huge eclectic mix. Fitting in will NOT be an issue, based on my experience. Everybody was so open and approachable, really, we're all so much on the same page here.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                  Anyone following The Biggest Loser controversy? I'm so sad that anyone feels they have to do this sort of thing, although I don't understand why people are attacking her personally. Chris Kresser talked about The Biggest Loser in his presentation and how they don't mention that the people on the show almost always are on a lot of different meds and have serious health that aren't addressed.
                  I thought all three of the finalists looked worse than they did on the last episode from the ranch. They all looked like they sacrificed muscle and hydration in order to win from a scale perspective.

I wish that show would take muscle gain/loss and body fat loss/gain into consideration instead of only looking at scale weight.

Comment

• Yah, I hate the emphasis on weight loss. Obviously it is easy to quantify, but it seems to signify everything that is wrong with the whole weight loss/healthy industry.

The Russian figure skaters have supercool jackets.

This Japanese figure skater Hanyu is sick. And I don't even like figure skating. (I know, I am the only person in the entire world.) The Japanese jackets are also supercool. I chalk up the rather poor American showing to the boringness of the jackets. And the Special K and Coca Cola ads.
                    Last edited by Siobhan; 02-06-2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• DH enjoying first night, too. I'm popping in and out while refereeing mean cat and the baby. She still sleeps under my neck and it makes me sleep really good, don't know why. I woke this morning and she was tight against DH's chest. I asked him at breakfast if she bothers him. He said, no, I really like her. The most affectionate cat ever!! She trying to get the blinking cursor now on iPad.

Expecting these books soon The Ancestral Table: Traditional Recipes for a Paleo Lifestyle: Russ Crandall, Ph.D. Paul Jaminet Ph.D.: 9781628600056: Amazon.com: Books

Eat the Yolks: Liz Wolfe, Diane Sanfilippo BS NC: 9781628600193: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

• I've been looking at the Crandall book...looks very interesting! Let me know how you like it.

It's either the extra tiny heartbeat or the purring that makes you sleep well. Also prevents cancer! (Okay, maybe a little stretch but there is some science there.) When she gets bigger she will rule the house!

Comment

• A Subway sandwiches with Fritos on it? Give me strength.

Comment

• Your picture of the day is blowing my mind! I love it.

Tomorrow we will be watching the (taped) opening ceremony and eating Russian food. Eggs with caviar, lamb plov, borscht, and pampushki(potato and curd dumplings). Be still, my heart! Okay, I may not be eating the pampushki(dairy) but I love the name. Pampushki, pampushki, pampushki! As good as Shakshuka!

Comment

• Oh, that takes me back! When I was a child we had family friends that would take us to Russian restaurants/clubs in Bel Air and Holmby Hills (California). They were so much fun. There were lots of Russian immigrants in the area, and they would rent a theatre or some type of space and throw a huge catered party with lots of Russian food (of course) and music and dancing. We never had blinis and borscht at home, but we surely gobbled them down at those parties. Lamb plov! That would be great!

Loving the Olympics so far. Finding it a little weird that they actually started the day before the Opening Ceremonies. Seems weird that some athletes will be eliminated or possibly injured and won't be able to walk in the Ceremonies. But it means more Olympics for the rest of us.

I've been off work for a week now and although I am sleeping just fine I not leaping out of bed in the morning raring to go. I'm quite groggy and kind of stagger around for awhile. Despite my tender ministrations with creams and lotions and wearing gloves for all housework my hands are not those of a delicate princess but rather a farmhand/fieldworker. I think total hand rehab takes longer than a week.

Comment

• Tip for Today

Eat with fast eaters. Yeah, I know this is contrary to every other bit of advice. It's my experience that you will eat the way you eat. All those putting the fork down and chewing slowly - fine if you want to, and it works for you, but I enjoy my food more if I just eat it without obsessing over details. Eating with someone who lingers and lingers is a recipe for disaster for me. I will just eat more, or artificially extend my meal. If you eat with fast eaters, you will finish your meal and get AWAY FROM THE FRICKIN' TABLE, which is where the damage is done.

However, using nice plates and tableware is a go. Use your nice stuff, because what are you saving it for? If you're saving it for your kids, it will mean a lot more to them if you have actually eaten off the stuff regularly as a family. If it was packed away somewhere, having it or eating off it won't bring back the memories.

Comment

Working...
                                X