No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All star line-up again today at PaleoCon. Michelle of Nom Nom Paleo talking about kitchen tools, excellent presentation.

Today instead of cleaning I went for another activity - exercise. I have been doing the slow-mo weights for some time now, but obviously I am not pushing myself hard enough. Decided to change that a couple of days ago and really felt the difference. Today I warmed up pretty thoroughly, went at the weights really hard and really slow, then did some yoga-type stretching. Feels good! Am going to swim today also.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Well, potential kitchen disaster. About an hour ago I noticed water on the floor...upon investigation I discovered the refrigerator seems to be malfunctioning. I would be in a panic except that I had rearranged things last night and left a large bottle right in front of the thermostat. Also, I have very little food in the fridge right now and everything easily fits in the little one I have. To make things even more Pollyanna-like the fridge has been in severe need of cleaning out. So instead of swimming I am cleaning the refrigerator. It is almost completely defrosted and soon I will be able to turn it back on and see if it is operating. Although I am not happy about having to replace an appliance, I would like a better one. This one is crap! I have seen small refrigerators that are much nicer than the one I have.

Inspired by the sprinting convo on Sabine's thread I experimented with HIIT using a low sturdy stool I have. (Anyone remember The Firm? I loved their vids back in my aerobics queen days. I purchased a stool from them that is possibly the most useful item I have ever owned.) It worked great and I think I will be working it into my regular routine along with pool sprints. I will just do whatever I feel like doing. The beauty of HIIT is that you don't have to do it all the time.

Listening to Chris Masterjohn's presentation, very science-y and you know I love that.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I eat Portuguese sardines several times a week. Had to make myself, at first, now I love them.
        I can't give up cheese, tho. Parmigiano-Reggiano, thank u, Lord. Comte, too.. Just not everyday.

Comment

• Enjoying new book by Chris Kresser Your Personal Paleo Code
          Sorry about your fridge. Hope it works. Landlord wouldn't spring for a new one, if needed??

Comment

• Sorry about the fridge --- but sometimes new stuff just feels good!
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'm on the waiting list for that one...so many books...not enough time!

He might buy a new fridge, but I'm sure he would moan about it and buy the cheapest thing he could find. I'd rather have more say in it. I wish manufacturers made a true half-size fridge for us single folks. I'll start looking. But for now, it seems to be okay. It is all cleaned out and fired right up and has cooled off. Must have been the bottle. I had never arranged things like that before, I didn't realize I was blocking the important bit. (Shouldn't really be so touchy, should it?)

Comment

• That man, I swear!!

Comment

• Okay, I'll give you an anecdote. I was telling him about my mom and how she had shoulder pain and inflammation and the doc drew off 60 cc of fluid. He said when he was in medical school (almost 70 years ago) he learned that if a patient has pain in one joint only it is a sign of gonorrhea! But he said they never explained why that is so. I mean, this is my 80-year-old mom we're talking about! I asked two docs at work about that and when they stopped laughing they said they had never heard of such a thing and it's kind of a weird idea for an 80-year-old anyway.

Comment

• Tip for Today

If your loved ones are not supportive of you, don't listen to them. Yes, this is kind of a weird tip. But the fact is that no matter how much you love someone, it can be hard to see them succeed where you have failed, and the lifestyle changes that will inevitably be shunted onto them (i.e. losing their drinking partner) can be upsetting. Beware of the "I love you just the way you are" trap. This isn't about them or their love for you. It's about you loving you.

Comment

• Quote for Today

"For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course, that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere. 'Blessed are the merciful' in a courtroom? 'Blessed are the peacemakers' in the Pentagon? Give me a break!" - Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Tip for the day hit home with me!!!

First --- I have a "competition" in my mind with my sisters!! I have always been the thin one......... up until I hit 40 - then I joined the ranks of the fat ones. Every since then I have had this constant desire to get thin just to keep the status quo between myself and my sisters!! Now - if one of them loses weight and is less than where I am - I start to panic!!!!

Second --- I get the "I love you just the way you are" from hubby. I know he's being 100% honest --- but I also know that he's comfortable with me being chubby because then he doesn't have to look at himself and think maybe he needs to do something about his extra 40 pounds. He also likes to drink on the weekends............. and my stopping makes him uncomfortable cuz he doesn't like to drink alone.

So - I'm on both sides of that one. :/
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion
                        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• The first step to resolving a problem is to identify it!

Everyone check out John Durant's presentation today. It is terrific. John Durant's PaleoCon Session

Comment

• I haven't had time to listen to any of the podcasts today, And I'm heading out again to have dinner and see Menopause The Musical with my sisters. If I get home at a decent time is there one presentation, from today, that you would recommend over the others?

Comment

• I wouldn't recommend the Olympic rower interview, not because it isn't good, but because it isn't terribly informative. Today we have William Davis of Wheat Belly fame, very science-y. Katie the Wellness Mama is really good even if you're not a mama - she gives really good tips on how to save money and time. My personal favorite is Durant's presentation on the historical basis of Biblical rules on sanitation, eating, incest, etc. Really fascinating for a history junkie like me. If you have read his book it will be familiar to you but maybe even more enjoyable. I'm going to listen to it again.

Comment

• Agreed that Durant's presentation was great. Will be listening to it again as well.
                                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X