No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did notice that Dr. Cordain threw in a little 85%/15% action toward the end of the talk, and talked about indulgences that would help you stay on plan. Maybe he throws the tough stuff at you first, to get your attention.

Sethi's talk was interesting, but as I had just finished reading 'The Power of Habit' (excellent!), I didn't get much more out of it. Well, except making it competitive. But I wonder how effective that is, long-term. He mentioned that one bet was to workout six out of seven days. he did the first six, then skipped, because he had already 'won' the bet. Is that really building a habit?

I confess, I do sometimes feel like slapping Honey in the face when he is on his computer too long. I wonder if I could get him to pay me $8 per hour to make my fantasies reality!

However, his talk was good for me in that, coming so soon after reading 'The Power of Habit' it got me thinking about it again. And I came up with some new things to try, involving my latest altoid obsession.
    Last edited by Sabine; 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM. Reason: 'x', not 'c'!

Comment

• I love The Power of Habit, too. Actually met the guy, a truly fine man, wanted to bring him home with me. He sent me the sweetest note a wk or 2 later, DH said, have I got to worry about U2? I said, yes, worry.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
        I love The Power of Habit, too. Actually met the guy, a truly fine man, wanted to bring him home with me. He sent me the sweetest note a wk or 2 later, DH said, have I got to worry about U2? I said, yes, worry.
        Keeps them on their toes!
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Copied your idea and cleaned out 2 kitchen cabinets and my pantry while listening to podcasts today. My kitchen thanks you.

Comment

• Worked for a bit on my closet....... You've started a movement!
            Female 55
            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I have really enjoyed your journal. One of the most inspiring that I have read so far. You have me craving moving to Maine (I have close friends up there too. Now that my internal body temperature has wamed up, perhaps I could even handle to cold!). Maybe in a couple of years when my son is off to college I will be moving. For now I can't afford to (I checked into it, I would be taking about a $30k hit in salary, and the rent is much more expensive there than in the Phoenix area). These podcasts, where does one access them? I would love to listen while I work at home this weekend. You have to pay for them? Keep writing, you are sure helping me, and I bet there are many more of us out there!
              This is my journal page!
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100547.html

My life's work: www.questtheawakening.com

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right!" The Grateful Dead

Comment

• You are very welcome, Wendy! Try here: Event. Each day during the event four sessions are available for listening for free, but if you feel it is beneficial you can purchase an all-access package. Normally after these things there is an 'encore' day, where the most popular ones are replayed. There are a couple more summits coming up as well, at least two that I know of. I really enjoy them - so much information, so many points of view.
                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                  Copied your idea and cleaned out 2 kitchen cabinets and my pantry while listening to podcasts today. My kitchen thanks you.
                  Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                  Worked for a bit on my closet....... You've started a movement!
                  I am proud! And I'm working on a closet right now while learning all about internal parasites!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    I love The Power of Habit, too. Actually met the guy, a truly fine man, wanted to bring him home with me. He sent me the sweetest note a wk or 2 later, DH said, have I got to worry about U2? I said, yes, worry.
                    Absolutely!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      I did notice that Dr. Cordain threw in a little 85%/15% action toward the end of the talk, and talked about indulgences that would help you stay on plan. Maybe he throws the tough stuff at you first, to get your attention.

Sethi's talk was interesting, but as I had just finished reading 'The Power of Habit' (excellent!), I didn't get much more out of it. Well, except making it competitive. But I wonder how effective that is, long-term. He mentioned that one bet was to workout sic out of seven days. he did the first six, then skipped, because he had already 'won' the bet. Is that really building a habit?

I confess, I do sometimes feel like slapping Honey in the face when he is on his computer too long. I wonder if I could get him to pay me $8 per hour to make my fantasies reality!

However, his talk was good for me in that, coming so soon after reading 'The Power of Habit' it got me thinking about it again. And I came up with some new things to try, involving my latest altoid obsession.
                      I haven't read that, I'll have to check it out. I remember something I heard the Dalai Lama say, "There are no good habits and bad habits. There are only habits. Choose them."

Cordain certainly did get my attention when he made the obvious dig at Mark - I literally sat up straighter and replayed that part. But I admire him for speaking his mind about something that is obviously important to him, that he believes in. And I really need to hear what he is saying now, as I have climbed on the no-dairy wagon. I had to be dragged onboard kicking and screaming, but I know dairy is not good for me. It's taken me a long time, but I can accept it now. Yes, I am sure I will occasionally succumb to the siren song of really good cheese once in a while, but I'm aiming high - maybe once every two months or even less.

Comment

• I was just reading through Sabine's journal and the conversation about sprinting - really timely because I keep thinking about running again. I always loved running as a meditative exercise, I never used headphones or anything, and I loved being outside. Back in the day I of course used it as a weight control measure, and now I am thinking of how cool it would be to run free of all that BS. Just running for the sheer joy of it and letting it just happen. And hearing Ben Greenfield's paleo kids presentation, where he gives a really good plan for transitioning to minimal shoes comes along...I think it's time.

Comment

• Love the kettlebell vid even though it doesn't play very well for me. (The first day all played fine for me, but apparently a lot of people had trouble; they changed it for the second day and now it doesn't play well for me!) What do you think of that L.A. backyard? A little different view of SoCal than you get from watching TV! (Disclaimer: I grew up in west L.A.)

Comment

• Regarding your goat milk experience, I tried the Meyenburg(?) stuff for the first time today and BLEGH. I imagine raw probably tastes better, but let's just say I will not be replacing the cream in my soup just yet. Maybe I'll try coconut milk.

I'll be with you (without), next month on dairy though. This will be the fourth or so time I've given it up. I'm trying a SCD/W30 sort of self made mashup for my gut. I sincerely doubt I'm one of the 65 percent; my ancestral background is typically fine with lactose and I've never seen any difference any of the previous times I've been without.

Heck I once went for a weekend on nothing but whole milk, canned salmon, and whiskey because I didn't have any other choices. Hmm maybe I could make that into a hack... Until then, I've got 4 ounces of raw cheddar to finish nom nom.

Comment

• I guess I'm in the minority, I love the Meyenberg goat milk. But no more goat milk for me. I'm done fooling myself. Goodbye dairy, hello sardines!

Am excited to find the tiny local library which is even tinier due to renovation has The Power of Habit on the shelf. I'm off to grab it.

Today's Quote

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

• Today's Tip

Eliminate trans fat and high fructose corn syrup. Do not consume any foods that contain even a trace amount of these substances. Not just because you know they are bad for you. Because by doing this you will automatically eliminate a ton of junk that you shouldn't be eating anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X