No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back online so going to watch/ listen while I make vocabulary flash cards for the kids
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Cordain was really clear about the dangers of dairy. Happy I dumped it.

Loved the fasting piece. I plan to get back to the 5:2 plan next month.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Listening to Cordain right now
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
          Listening to Cordain right now
          Me too!

Comment

• cool! I fast forwarded through parts of it - but it was excellent.

Gotta get my hubby off the intense vitamins he's taking!!! And I'm throwing out my vitamin C and Calcium supplements. Money down the toilet there!! GRRR!
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Just read the haribo link...

If I ever buy those again, it will be the sugar ones, for sure!! LOL on the colonoscopy prep, mayibe we should recommend these when the next "OMG, I'm constipated since going primal" thread pops up.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I've forwarded the haribo link to everyone I know, and I NEVER do that.

The presentations today are all so good, what a standard to have set! I have invested in the package and am happy about that.

Ate all the bobotie, it was even better today. That dish really pushes all of my buttons. Also had an apple, some walnuts, and three squares of dark chocolate.
                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Inspired by Dr. Sinha's presentation, I've printed out some stuff about the UP and FitBit and sent it to HR. Probably will do no good, but hey, it's worth a try. I'll bet they offer corporate discounts or some such if asked.

Tip for Today

You use spices, right? Spices are your friends! Buy them in bulk if at all possible. They are unbelievably cheaper, anywhere from 1/3 to 1/8 of the price in the bulk bins I buy from. And that is at an expensive specialty shop.

After you buy them, use them freely. They are healthy and tasty.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Quote for Today

(Actually this is a paraphrase)

It's not what you do once in a while but what you do regularly that matters. - Loren Cordain

Comment

• Pic for Today

black-horse-resolution_731887.jpg

Comment

• Funny for Today

Cat with Duck.jpg

Comment

• I couldn't get. dr. Sinhas presentation to play.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I am a little irritated by Dr. Cordain dismissing anecdote and personal experimentation, and stressing epidemiology.

Yes, epidemiology is vital for understanding the science of it. But we do not live our lives as a population. We live as individuals. If 65% of the population cannot digest lactose, well, 35% can now. (I understand the 'hidden' effects aspect.) If it is worth it for you, if you like dairy, and decide to accept the risks for hidden effects(or maybe test for those you can), I see nothing wrong with experimenting to see if you feel better off of it, or not.

Also, what was with the dig at Mark?

So, Dr. Cordain comes across as very much a purist (well, paleo, not primal, what was I expecting) to me, which is great for those who can do that. I would probably be much better for it if I were a purist. But I'm not, and I guess it gets up my nose a bit to be told I'm doing it ALL wrong. I prefer the 'good for you, you are making great steps, you might want to try this next if you are looking for more' approach.

Coddle me, please!

That said, I am thinking that even if I SEEM to tolerate dairy well when I return it to my diet, I might have it on a rotation basis, only every four days. The stuff he related about gut permeability was very interesting.
                            Last edited by Sabine; 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• I hear what you're saying, and I was a bit taken aback as he seemed quite vehement. I listened to it several times, and unfortunately I felt like he was talking directly to me, and what he was saying was - in the face of overwhelming evidence that this stuff is bad for you, you still think you can get away with it, even though it is somewhat insidious and causes problem over time, not ten minutes after you eat it. And possibly it is what I need to hear right now, painful as it is. Because giving up grains was nothing. I don't even like grains. Bread never tasted as good as I thought it would, but cheese never disappoints me. But Cordain is a purist, no doubt. I wonder what Mark thinks of him?

Really not enjoying Sethi's presentation. Comes across as a sort of frat boy/guy living in his mom's basement trying to decide between hanging out in a bar or hanging out in a gym. Really lost me when he went on and on about punishing yourself by turning your phone off for four hours. "Imagine that! Imagine that!" he exclaims, like it is synonymous with sticking needles in your eyes. I haven't even looked at my phone since this morning, and I was up and around for almost four hours before I turned on my computer to listen to these presentations. I really don't have problems doing regular things like working out or eating right or daily tasks. I have trouble tackling the big occasional things, and that is strictly fear and is really a totally different thing. So basically I'm dissing his ideas. Oh, and I'm not going to hire an assistant to draft my emails.

Comment

• OTOH I highly recommend Ben Greenfield's presentation on raising paleo kids. "What?" you say! No, I'm not going to be raising any kids. But I live in a world where kids are raised, and I sometimes work with them, and they are going to be paying for my Social Security and my Medicare as I am paying for those before me. And there is a lot of stuff that is relevent and interesting to anyone. Shoes, EMF, stuff that passes the blood-brain barrier. He also has a thoughtful, reasonable presentation style. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                                X