No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! Mark's post today is smokin' hot! Read it about ten times!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Today's Quote

If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.”
      ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Today's Tip

Plan to succeed. Approach your life changes as lasting and permanent and as a positive force. Visualize your success and don't be discouraged by setbacks. Setbacks are normal and expected; it is your reaction to them that will affect your success.

Comment

• Today I realized that I had some vegetables that were in dire need of being used, so I made soup. Coincidentally that is what I ate for breakfast, or what passes for breakfast around here. The soup is a very basic one made of fennel, carrots, onions, ginger, garlic, and bone broth. To the portion I was going to eat I added chicken, coconut milk, cilantro, and cashews. YUMMER.

Work tonight. I had a long talk with my work counterpart last night. I rarely see her so we mostly communicate through notes, phone calls, and to a lesser extent text messages. She has got some problems that make my problems look like pleasant interludes. She is a single mom with three teenagers, no child support. She is a really nice and good person, a very good therapist, excellent to work with, cooperative and helpful. I really hate it when good people are in bad situations.

The felines were all overexcited and fighting this morning so I put some catnip out for them. They spent about five ecstatic minutes rolling in it and now they are all lazily grooming themselves. No more fighting. BW is not black and white any more, he is black and green! I wish there were some legal and safe means of making myself that blissed out.

Comment

• Guess it depends on what state you live in eh?

Comment

• I bought a fennel bulb for the first time this morning. I like a large variety of vegetables, so I was somewhat surprised recently to realize I had never tried it. Any suggestions? I was thinking of braising it, but I'm open for a more creative thing to do with it.

Comment

• Roasted in the oven with some olive oil is very good as it caramelizes slightly at the edges.

I haven't joined in for ages but I read your journal as often as I can! I worked full time in school last term so have been super busy and getting sleep was almost my only priority. Now thankfully back to my usual part-time rota.

Hope you are all OK in the big freeze? It have been feartured on the news everyday. Conversely, here we have floods and power cuts (luckily not too bad when I live - but treacherous for driving to school). The rivers have all broken their banks and filled the few and small flood plains, I have heard that your cold spell will move across the Atlantic next week!

Like many other of your followers I'm loving your top tips!

Thank you x
                Last edited by ragwort; 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• +1 on the oven roasting, also very good if you put butter on it before eating. Goes nicely in salad and especially good with pears and parmesan cheese if you partake of dairy.

How nice to see you again, ragwort! Yes, we are all good here despite the cruel and bitter winter. I worry about my mom, though, she is elderly and just can't stay warm.

Comment

• Today's Tip

Although you can and should learn from other people, be careful about comparing yourself with others. For instance, I work with someone who is very thin and eats almost nothing but candy. She is constantly sick, very unhealthy, several surgeries. Yet I hear people say, "Katie eats candy bars and she is thin, they can't be that bad." Oh yes, yes they can! Another person is quite overweight and oddly I never see her eat. No one does. We can learn from these people, but we don't want to be like them. Also, you never really know what is going on with other people. Bulimia, anyone? No thanks. Don't let other people be your excuse for bad behavior.

Comment

• Today's Quote

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." — Albert Schweitzer

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                        Today's Quote

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." — Albert Schweitzer
                        I've met a few people recently who did it to me and I want to say thank you to them everyday.

Comment

• Today's Quote

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." - Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Today's Tip

Be very careful about getting nutrition or diet advice from elite athletes. Or fashion models! Although it seems obvious that a superfit or a superthin person would be the go-to, that usually isn't the case. Athletes are geared towards performance and competition and have caloric and energy needs far beyond those of us who aren't trying to qualify for the Olympics. Supermodels, besides being genetic freaks (I mean that in a good way) have to be much thinner than is generally healthy. My two best friends were working models and the regimens they put themselves through - ouch. They made boatloads of money and consider themselves lucky to have ended their careers on their own terms. And no matter what I eat or don't eat, I'm not going to look like either of them! And Michael Phelps is famous for his junk food consumption, but actually he doesn't eat like that any more. And there aren't too many people who need to lose weight who are doing the kind of activity he undertakes on a daily basis, or have his particular physique.

This seems a little silly because it is so obvious, but there are people out there who think, at least subconsciously, "Phelps eats a large pizza every night, so it must be okay. And I saw a model on TV, she said she lives at McDonalds." (She doesn't.) Do your own research, your own experimentation, and do what is right for you.

Comment

• Mother Nature loves us - she is giving us everything she has. Last night I drove to work in a torrential downpour and the thickest fog I have ever seen. I would be driving along and suddenly find myself completely blind, in a white cloud. It was pretty scary. Once I was at work I found that everyone had the same experience. The temperature was almost weirdly balmy - 65 F. This is after a month of blizzards, rain, ice, and bitter cold. The night stayed very warm and the rain cleared out. When I woke up this afternoon it was 90 F inside my home and when I took down the blackouts, I was greeted by brilliant sunshine and...bare ground. Almost all of the snow on the property is gone, just the piles from the snowplow remaining. I think we are supposed to get some snow later this week, but not a blizzard and no horrible cold.

Food has been good. This morning at 4 AM I had some spicy turkey patties and mango. This afternoon I had sweet potato fries and chicken soup with the rest of the mango. Feeling very satisfied but a bit tired. Might sleep a bit more, then indulge in some TV. PBS is showing the new Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch tonight and I am ridiculously excited. Also need to fit in some exercise or activity.

Comment

• Just to let you know Sherlock is ridiculously entertaining! I am hooked, but then it's a London thing.

I have just bought some magnesium oil to help me sleep better. Sprayed on legs or rubbed into feet? Help! The instructions contradict themselves.

Glad your weather has perhaps calmed, ours is revving up for more wind and rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X