No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A food journal is really valuable, IMHO for the reasons you state. I was surprised at how much I was eating - often I would think I hadn't had that much, but when I put it into the journal it seemed to multiply! And that is how I learned how sensitive to carbs I am, even the safe ones. Over 120g a day and my brain clouds up like breath on a mirror. I would never have believed this if I hadn't discovered it through my food journal.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I'm not drinking too much booch these days, just not don't have the taste for it in the colder weather. I am still brewing, however and just put on a new batch Saturday. I am thinking peach would be refreshing. I had let the mothers grow to enormous proportions! I removed the youngest bit and threw away two HUGE pieces. HUGE!

After you bottle the brew, you have to leave it on the counter for at least a day, preferably two to get fizzies. Are you doing that? Then it can go in the fridge and stay there for a long time.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Quote for today by Dag Hammarskjold:

"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was."

Comment

• Tip for Today:

Don't reward yourself with food. There are so many other great things! A new piece of clothing, something for your home that you have been wanting, flowers, a book, a film. To be honest, food rewards are something that escape me (unless it is a special $$$$$ grass-fed steak). Why would you celebrate losing 20 lbs. by visiting KFC? Please don't do that.

Comment

• Am I a total geek or are these shoes totally cool?

TOMS Tribal Boots for Women | TOMS.com

Comment

• I love those boots! and better yet they come from Tom's! I totally respect that company.
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• The more I look at those boots the more I want them. Argghhh.

I think I might be back to a more reasonable sleeping schedule, waking up reasonably refreshed after about five hours. This is for my daytime sleep periods. This means I wake up between 2 and 2:30 and so I actually have some day to my day. I know it is good to get more but I think I can make up for it at night, which is when I should be sleeping whenever possible. When I was waking at 4:30 PM and it was already dark and any hope of daytime activity was over I wasn't too happy.

We aren't getting the super ultra deep freeze that others are getting (Hi Mom! Please stay warm!) but it cold enough and the wind is howling. Once again I am happy with my winterizing. That was the best expenditure of time and money in recent memory. I am, however, kicking myself that I didn't bring in more firewood a couple of days ago when it was 50 F outside. I wasn't thinking!

Since I've been talking about sleep that is my tip for today (although I'm not following it exactly). BE A SLEEP NAZI! I will go way out on a limb and state that it is virtually impossible to take off weight and keep it off if you aren't getting quality sleep. Again, don't compare yourself with some skinny guy you know who never seems to sleep much and never gains an ounce. There is tons of evidence out there - Mark has written up most of it - that sleep is essential for good health and weight maintenance. I have only anecdotal evidence, but I have seen it for years - hospital patients who are obese and generally in bad health have very poor sleep habits. They don't sleep much, they have the TV on 24/7. Now this is bad science and I am not assigning cause and effect, merely correlation. But I can predict how a person sleeps by looking at them and talking with them for 90 seconds. Do everything you can to improve the quality of your sleep.

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein

Comment

• Despite my own cooking prowess I am in love with these products. Maya Kaimal Fine Indian Foods Yikes, they are sold at Costco! (We don't have Costco here.) I bought a jar or two from my local grocery and have quickly become almost addicted. No, they are not primal. But the good ingredients (coconut milk, turmeric, chilies) outnumber the bad (the usual canola oil and small amounts of sugar). The cost is about the same as making my own sauces and obviously way more convenient. So this is in the spirit of confession rather than recommendation. Boy oh boy, these rich sauces go down a treat on these cold winter days.

Having a very lazy night off!

Comment

• Quote for today from Ernest Shackleton:

"Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results."

Comment

• Tip for Today:

Practice stress management. Have a hobby. Do something! Other than think about your diet and your figure, that is. Putting energy into something creative can be especially good for easing stress. Coincidentally this will also make you more interesting and fun to be around.

Comment

• Just wanted to say - I'm enjoying your quotes and daily tips! keep them coming!
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Thank you! It is a lot of fun for me and is a good reminder. I'm going to do it through January.

Swam today but not very well! A little short on energy. Winter blahs? Too much sitting around? Too much indoors? Combination? I came home and put on studs on my boots and walked all over the property in the brilliant sunshine. Amazing how powerful the sun is even in the depths of winter on a very cold day. Not a cloud in the blue, blue, blue sky. Hardly a breath of wind in contrast to the last couple of days when I thought the house might blow down. (Seriously) So nice! Sunshine can cure anything.

The firewood situation is looking a little dire. We started the winter with three cords and now there is only maybe 1/4 cord left! I'm not burning that much, in fact I am being very conservative. My landlord is going through it like water, however. Of course it is his firewood! He said he is having trouble staying warm and he has two huge woodstoves, much larger than mine, so he is going through a lot. I wonder what he will do when it is all gone?

Comment

• Last night I finally moved up on my weights. I've been doing the slow-motion weight lifting and I really needed heavier weights. Maybe now I will start seeing some results! Rite-Aid, of all places, had dumbbells on sale 2-for-1. They were cheap enough to begin with, so I was happy to grab some.

I am sleeping very well and about 7 1/2 hours, which has always been the pattern throughout my life.

Quote for today

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." - Albert Schweitzer

Today's Tip

Be sure you are eating enough at meals. When your diet consists of nutrient-dense whole foods, it is easy to push your plate away after a few bites. But if you're hungry again an hour later you are not eating enough. This is where a plan is really convenient. You should have a good idea as to how much is appropriate for you and stick to it. It is no good to eat two ounces of fish and a stick of broccoli if you are mowing through the muffin tray at Dunkins two hours later. Eat a lot of fish and a lot of broccoli and maybe some leafy greens. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable but you should feel full and if you are getting it right you honestly won't be hungry again for four to five hours.

Comment

• Good tip! I've been eating a protein dense breakfast and I seriously don't get hungry again for about 7 hours.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Yes, in the morning I don't touch anything unless it is protein and/or fat. I just can't eat carbs in the morning. If I do, I am setting myself up for false hunger and potential overeating all day. As you might guess, this tip is one that I have a lot of personal experience with. Going primal really taught me to look at hunger and experience hunger in a different way. Of course, I am still learning. I easily fall into the trap of having snacks instead of meals and end up with that nagging I'm-hungry-but not really-I want something but I don't know what feeling. Of course this is opposite of CW which advises eating six meals a day or something similar. That doesn't work for me at all.

Went for a long hike through the woods and enjoyed brilliant sunshine. It is so important to get out in the sun whenever I can and these past few lovely days there has been plenty of it. I didn't need snowshoes - just put the studs on my boots and it was fine. Really beautiful and so peaceful. I went on a trail that opens onto a little pond where there is a bench and I sat there in the sun for a long time. Yes, I was mostly covered but I think exposure to the face and eyes is good. And having proper winter gear is so important. Snow pants. Good boots. Removable studs. Warm but light coat. Layers.

Huge score at the thrift shop. Really, I need to stay away from there until I clean out my closets! I got a truly lovely vest - black velvet on one side, purple silk on the other, quilted, handmade beaded zipper pull. Really nice. When I got home I looked for a tag and discovered it is Coldwater Creek. Also got a Columbia vest in blue that will be great for work. And huge score - for $1 a brand new pair of scrub pants exactly as I like in a color I don't have. Woot! Two scarves for $1 each - one is a wool Echo scarf with a beautiful, beautiful intricate pattern and the other is silk in a funky blue, purple, and pink retro pattern. The total for all these riches - $10.

Comment

Working...
                                X