Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
    Well, so much for that! I'm still kind of shell-shocked.

I drove for an hour to get to my friend's house, planning to have a lovely adult beverage and a nice dinner, some dessert, a little convo, and then hit the road - home by six or so...arrived to find the house in disarray, tear-stained faces, and the cook barricaded in her room with a migraine. Merry Bleeping Christmas! Frantic googling was going on, trying to find somewhere to go for dinner because...wait for it...no one could cook. There were other guests besides me, about 16 in all (I think). I stripped off all the clothing that was decent (luckily I always wear a tee shirt under my nice cashmere sweaters), rolled up my sleeves and tackled the food. Actually it was really easy - a ham that just needed heating, some sides that were already made, just mashed potatoes, green beans, cream to be whipped. Can you believe that no one could perform these simple tasks? I mean really, the ham has the instructions on the package! And mashed potatoes?!?!?!? How can you not know how to make mashed potatoes? Please, I beg you, teach your kids how to cook! At least simple stuff!

Luckily I found an entire pound of butter on the premises. Liberal amounts of this went into everything - yes, even into the stuff already made. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get everything ready, so dinner was about an hour late. Not too bad. Everyone was really appreciative, but really I am not happy with the experience. I would have skipped it if I could get a do-over. It was really stressful, not fun. Someone took a plate into Migraine Mom and all was well in the end, but it was too wacky.

Remarkably I think I remained primal. There was lots of good stuff - green salad, sweet potatoes. Even some sausage, which is an old family recipe or something. I had only one glass of wine (for courage).

Next Christmas I am only going to celebrate Festivus.
    So basically it was the night that Soibhan saved Christmas.

Also I am only slightly ashamed to say that even being Irish I have only made mashed potatoes twice, and the first time (two weeks ago?) I didn't even do it right. I had no idea you were supposed to put milk in them. Given, my learning to cook time has been spent as a "healthy" vegetarian, raw vegan, and primal/paleo. Luckily I had some cream left over from soup, so I said my Hail Marys in reconciliation to the potato gods and threw that in. Sssssso gggood.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
      So basically it was the night that Soibhan saved Christmas.

Also I am only slightly ashamed to say that even being Irish I have only made mashed potatoes twice, and the first time (two weeks ago?) I didn't even do it right. I had no idea you were supposed to put milk in them. Given, my learning to cook time has been spent as a "healthy" vegetarian, raw vegan, and primal/paleo. Luckily I had some cream left over from soup, so I said my Hail Marys in reconciliation to the potato gods and threw that in. Sssssso gggood.
      Sour cream works wonders with mashed potatoes! butter, salt, pepper, garlic and sour cream (or heavy cream). I'm always told my m.p.'s are the absolute BEST!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Yeah, dairy is pretty key to good mashed potatoes! Although you can use broth of some kind if you are really in a pinch. Won't be as good, though.

Welcome, Denise! I'll try to not be boring. I have my days!
        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• A few months back I decided to start writing up my memoirs, so to speak - basically my journal in book form. I wrote and wrote and filled up a notebook. Then I started reading it over and discovered that it was deadly boring and not even informative. Although I am pretty successful at this primal thing for the most part, I really don't have anything new to add, and the chatty informal style I wrote in just annoyed me. That's pretty bad, being bored and annoyed by your own memoir! Anyway I've started something new. I pulled out a new journal (a real paper one) and started writing a story that is loosely based on my own life, emphasizing the spiritual/mystical but grounded in reality. I know that sounds weird. But it is fun and is a good creative exercise. It also involves drawings with colored pencils and there will be poetry, both my own and my favorite poets, probably some photos, music, and lots of literary references. This is a way for me to pull together different things that are important to me. I have no intention of ever publishing this, although I hope it will be good enough that I might actually show it to someone down the line.

I'm at work, very busy. Still no flu. (Have totally jinxed us, haven't I?) I do the flu washes, so I would know. I've been checking the log every day. We do, however, have many ice injuries. So many falls. You know what? We've never had a person with a fall injury that was brought in wearing proper boots. Why do people wear sneakers on ice? Every day I am glad I got those new boots!

Okay, who is losing how much weight in the new year? I wonder if I can lose 20 lbs? I would be thinner than I have ever been in my adult life. Hmmm. Well, 10 at least. I have got through the holidays so far weighing 1 less pound than before, which is of no statistical significance.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• True that one pound is of no statistical significance, but nevertheless it sounds better than one pound more. Or several, as many are seeing this week. More of a matter of staying on course.

For the record, I, for one (and probably not the only one) would be very interested in reading your story, should it be shared upon completion. Intriguing concept. For many years I thought about writing, but never actually did anything about it. I applaud you for forging ahead.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• My plan is to lose 45-50 pounds. If I can see 135 on the scale I will be one HAUT 54 year old lady!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I plan on being 40 lbs lighter by Nov. 1st, which is when my son and his fiance have planned to get married. I am so stoked about it!
                SW: 205
                CW: 205
                GW: 140

Measurements as of 12/23 Measurements as of 12/29
                Neck 15.75 15.5
                Arms L/R 15/14.5 14.5/14.5
                Ribs 39.5 38.5
                Hips 49 47.5
                Diet Calculator

My journey

Comment

• I am with you on the losing weight thing Siobhan! Planning on losing what I regained (about 48 lbs!) I am contemplating trying the JUDDDD that Sabine has been doing now that I know I am not hypothyroid I am going to do the whole deal from measuring and weighing in and before pics etc. I want to be able to celebrate big time once that weight is off again!
                  Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                  Primal low: 186 lbs
                  Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                  Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I am so glad to hear of all your goals! This is going to be a great year! Better than this one (and this one was pretty good).

Yesterday was a good day. Earlier in the month I was looking forward to seeing Richard II with David Tennant that was being simulcast. It was postponed because of a storm, which was very disappointing. When I got home from work Sunday morning, I went right to sleep and it wasn't too hard to get up at 1 PM, throw on some clothes and get myself to the theater by 2 PM for the showing. The RSC has the goal of broadcasting all of Shakespeare's plays over six years, which I am ridiculously excited about. Anyway, it was great. My only disappointment is that I would dearly love to see it again and that is not possible. These types of broadcasts make living in the sticks very doable. I can get a little shot of culture and then go back to my peaceful treehouse by the sea. Next month is Coriolanis with Tom Hiddleston! That is a no-miss! Of course I would love to hie across the pond and actually be in the audience, but it is my understanding that tickets are few and far between and I would probably end up at a back-alley performance of The Mousetrap.

Eating was not good yesterday! I ate popcorn, of all things. Popcorn! For one thing, my dentist has forbidden me to partake, never mind the inflammatory qualities and empty calories. But I didn't have time to eat and I was so hungry...movie theaters aren't known for their primal offerings. I didn't want anything sweet and that would not have been a good idea either. I had a bag of the salty white stuff and am paying with some intestinal distress. Am moving on!

Throughout all of our storms and ice and various forms of precipitation I have had power and all is well. Last night was actually the worst - after the film I drove home in absolute pea soup fog and driving rain. Not being able to see is very scary. But it builds character. I would not have wanted to miss the film because of the harrowing drive home.

Comment

• My new project is going well. After struggling with some regular pencils, I bought some nice drawing pencils. The colored pencils I have are good, but I didn't have any good writing pencils. It is turning out to be a fusion of Dag Hammerskjold's Markings and Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince. Not that I would dream of comparing myself with such giants, just acknowledging their influence on me.

Today I have eaten a large bowl of leafy greens with walnut oil, BV, hemp seeds, and dulse. Also an egg and some ham. Coffee with goat milk, tea ditto. Also a York Peppermint Patty.

Swam and swam today. The lifeguard stood at the end of my lane watching me intently and made me a little nervous. I was the only one in the pool!

Comment

• This sounds a little melodramatic, but I am thrilled to find success with clip-on earrings. I haven't been able to wear pierced earrings of any kind for several years now, and to a girly girl like me that is quite a disappointment. I bought a pair of clip-ons at a tag sale for 50 cents earlier this year, and although they are not my style at all and much too heavy I found I could wear them without my earlobe swelling like helium balloons. So I purchased these: Non-pierced Pretty & Petite Etched Rectangle Buttons. They are very pretty (much smaller than they appear on the webpage) and they are so comfortable I forgot I was wearing them. I am happy to discover many styles of clip-ons, in fact just about any look you have with pierced also comes in clip-on, including hoops. (I am not a hoop-wearer, however.)

Comment

• Those earrings are pretty! Glad for you that the earring adornment is working out They are nice for dressing up!
                          Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                          Primal low: 186 lbs
                          Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                          Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• My ears swell up and turn bright red if I wear anything other than solid silver or gold studs. Plated doesn't work. Have you tried gold studs? I guess I'm allergic to nickel in cheap mixes.

Comment

• Yes, I have tried solid gold - 24k studs. I've tried everything. My earlobes were swelling alarmingly and becoming infected after just a few minutes. I'm really happy to discover there are lots of nice clip-ons.

I've been following Michael Schumacher's condition and hoping and praying for him to get better. Fight, Michael!

Since I've been eating oranges nearly every day my teeth are clean as a whistle.

Comment

• In the interests of supporting everyone, I will offer a weight loss tip every day. Well, probably every day. For a month or so.

Today's Tip:

EGGS - if you like them and you can tolerate them, they are your friend. Tasty, nutritious, versatile, and filling. What more could you want? Oh yeah, they are cheap, even the pastured kind, which you should be consuming if at all possible. Boil 'em, mash 'em, fry 'em, bake 'em, scramble 'em. Mix 'em with ground grass-fed beef to stretch it a bit and bake it into a meatloaf.

Comment

Working...
                                X