No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry you weren't able to have the Christmas celebration you wanted, but you saved theirs. That's a good thing. (My kids can make mashed potatoes.)

Comment

• My mother didn't teach me to cook -- but I watched her carefully and learned by observation. But she was a very basic cook - she had 2 spices in her cupboard - salt and pepper. When I married hubby - he taught me about the world of spices!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Oh my, what a bizarre Christmas dinner. Seriously, none of the other 15 people know how to cook? Are there really that many of them out there? I'm shaking my head vigorously on that one. Yet how lovely of you to save the day. Major coup on finding the butter.

I learned cooking early, as it was expected to help out in the kitchen from an early age, regardless of gender. My dad was a great cook and loved making up improvised dishes. I was making full family meals by 12 or so. It's really not rocket science. And I started teaching my boys young too. Self sufficiency is a necessary life skill. Of course, now that they both work as restaurant line cooks, they know even more, which is very cool. They even made sushi rolls for the family on Christmas Eve. That was pretty awesome.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I started cooking at age 7 and still have my first cookbook. My boys can make the basics.
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I am not surprised that you saved the day. Just from reading your journal I can tell that you are a no nonsense, take charge, let's get it done kind of person. I can't help but thinking why in the hell didn't these people call their guests and tell them the party was off? Or at least warn everyone and ask for help ahead of time?
            Hope your New Year's is considerably more relaxing and stress free.

Comment

• Wow, I would have loved to have sushi on Christmas. That would have been awesome! Especially if made by a loved one. I can do some basic sushi, but it is hard to get sushi-grade fish around here (despite being a fishing community...not the right kind of fish) and honestly it is just too expensive to buy all the stuff for just little old me.

I wish I could say it was all a warm and fuzzy experience, but actually it was kind of weird and surreal. There was more going on than just a migraine, if you can read between the lines. Maybe some of the other guests know how to cook, but they didn't step forward, except for two teenage girls who readily agreed to be my helpers - and they performed ably, I might add. Well, it's all one for the books!

Tonight I got a wild hair and dragged out all my old jewelry making stuff. I reworked an old badge holder that I made years ago into a necklace, made a new bracelet and reworked another one. I'm not totally happy with the new bracelet and will probably redo it. Got an idea for a new necklace using some of the beads that I freed up reworking the bracelet. Very hard on my poor overworked calloused fingers, but it was quite fun and my eyes were fine, I could see very well and they didn't get tired. This is all just beadwork, no metallurgy involved.

Food is all good today, also had a very nice. The snow was mostly rain all day and turned back to snow when night fell - we will see what tomorrow brings. I would love to get in some more snowshoeing.
              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• My child (aged five) can make pancakes from scratch, can scramble eggs, is a dab hand with the electric mixer and can talk through the steps of making a meal. We're also working on the maths of exchanging cash for goods and getting change. It is criminal to set your offspring free into the world without adequate skills to support themselves (sadly my parents in law do not have any such skills and they are in their late 70s).

Re your Crimbo nightmare - it's at least useful to know which invitation to decline in the future.
                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                  My child (aged five) can make pancakes from scratch, can scramble eggs, is a dab hand with the electric mixer and can talk through the steps of making a meal. We're also working on the maths of exchanging cash for goods and getting change. It is criminal to set your offspring free into the world without adequate skills to support themselves (sadly my parents in law do not have any such skills and they are in their late 70s).

Re your Crimbo nightmare - it's at least useful to know which invitation to decline in the future.
                  Good on you and everyone for teaching your kids basic skills - honestly, how can you not? Of course I'm preaching to the choir here. And yeah, I will be wary of any invites from that bunch again. I went there a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving and had a good time so I had no clue as to how things would turn out.

I wonder how Migraine Mom feels about my turning her kitchen upside down? One thing I insisted on - the reason for needing helpers - is that when I arrived every inch of counter surface was covered with dirty dishes, dirty pans, vegetable peelings, etc. We had to quickly clean up - I cannot work in any kitchen like that, not my own, not anyone's. And I made sure it was left as clean as I could get it (with the two young ladies). No way am I a neat freak (I wish!) but kitchen chaos is unacceptable. They told me the kitchen had never been so clean. Hmmmmmm. Nice kitchen, though, good appliances, nice Corian countertops, deep double sink.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I tried to teach our kids to cook. My son had no interest until it was getting close to time for him to move out - then he just started experimenting and came up with some pretty tasty dishes. Oldest step daughter has NO interest in cooking - even now at her mom's I don't think she cooks at all (she's 24). Youngest step daughter also didn't cook at all until she moved out on her own 2 years ago. Now she and boyfriend/roommate love to cook together - he does most of it though. We bought both girls a 13 piece set of Calphalon cookware for Christmas. #2 was thrilled! #1 looked at like, "what am I going to do with that?" and put it upstairs in her "storage unit" that used to be her bedroom. She'll use it someday, I hope.
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Went for some snowshoe fun and had a blast. Perfect day for it! To be honest, I'm getting a little annoyed with Mark's (and others) rather constant comments like "We can't all live in California." Actually, you could have fooled me - that is precisely why I left there - it seems like half the Earth's population lives there, all piled on top of each other. I grew up there, and let me tell you, I wish the California of my childhood existed somewhere. And when I was a child the adults bemoaned the fact that Old California was lost - as I'm sure their parents did also. Anyway, this is a long roundabout way of saying that we aren't all just marking time until we can live in Cali. Many of us are perfectly happy elsewhere. Okay, my rant is over.

Had some ham, brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes. I love sprouts, but the smell they leave behind! Yuck!

Comment

• Lemon on sprouts helps the smell!
                        I don't want to live in Cali. I'm happy in Texas.
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I like to visit California....... then come home to beautiful Oregon! I could never live in the big cities -- but California does have some nice rural areas that would be tempting if all the right things were fall into place. We might spend part of our retirement years down there.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I have lived in California all of my life and it has little bit of something for everyone. But it is not perfect and there are far better places to live, depending on what you want out of life. I am envious of your snowshoeing! Once we retire, we are probably going to move out of California to try to make our money go further. It is so pricey here.

Comment

• That dinner mess sounds so awkward! Kind of sad that no-one else tried to help out - people are not very good at helping anymore. Glad you could pull it together - that part is not surprising to any of us who 'know' you At least Mark really likes where he lives I have no desire to trade states though, I have visited there a few times but it has no attraction for me. We are stuck here in CO for the moment, but hopefully one day we can find a place that works better for us. Don't get me wrong, it is really beautiful here and I do enjoy it. Just not exactly what we are looking for.
                              Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                              Primal low: 186 lbs
                              Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                              Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I read the first two pages, and then hopped to the last two. Goats, chubby kitties, and a Christmas dinner you had to save -- I'm subscribing!
                                SW: 205
                                CW: 205
                                GW: 140

Measurements as of 12/23 Measurements as of 12/29
                                Neck 15.75 15.5
                                Arms L/R 15/14.5 14.5/14.5
                                Ribs 39.5 38.5
                                Hips 49 47.5
                                Diet Calculator

My journey

Comment

Working...
                                X