No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stayed up pretty late (or maybe early) watching movies on YouTube. I've been reading all sorts of mountaineering books lately and I discovered loads of films that I did not think were available are in fact just waiting there for me to watch them! Can't believe I didn't have nightmares after watching The Beckoning Silence, which is the gruesome story of the death of four men who attempted the North Face of the Eiger in 1936 interspersed with the story of Joe Simpson, who survived an unbelievable ordeal descending a mountain in South America.

Slept until the astounding time of 11:30 AM and would still be asleep if not for the plaintive murrows of the felines who were apparently starving to death. I don't know when I went to sleep, but at some point I took off my glasses and turned off the light. Woke up in a bed full of books and cats. Also found that we are now buried in snow. I don't know how much we got, but LOTS. I don't know if it is still snowing or just blowing around. Soon I will dig out the bird feeder and provide some sustenance for the poor birdies.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I've been doing the slow motion weight training for a little while now but I haven't been pushing myself. Last night I decided it is time to just go for it. Already I feel the muscle soreness setting in! So much for avoiding that. But it felt good while I was doing it.

Time to dig out the bird feeder - I've just seen the first bird.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Just had the most fun! I got out my snowshoes and snow pants and went for it. I think we got about a foot of snow. I snowshoed all over the place, down the hill to the water, over the hill to the summer cottage, around the summer cottage where I know the ground is level. So much fun! Snowshoes make all the difference, and poles of course. I fell three or so times, harmless in this deep snow, but hard to get up. That is where the poles are really useful. I went many times down to the woodpile and stamped out a nice trail. Brought up many armloads of firewood. I came in but I wanted to go back outside so badly. This time I didn't wear my snowshoes as I had stamped out lots of places to walk. Made a snow angel. The hard part is not ruining it when you stand up! I did a good job though.

The most amazing thing happened. I was standing at the top of the hill looking down at the water under a gray, overcast sky when suddenly the clouds parted, the sun came out, and half the sky turned the most amazing shade of rose gold. I cannot tell you how spectacular it was. It happened within two or three seconds. It made me a little crazy, it was so beautiful. I ran up and down the hill whooping. No one was around, and no one could hear me anyway as the wind was blowing pretty hard.

Now the plow guy is here with his big truck, clearing the driveway. He has ruined my path to the woodpile but I can make another one. I have enough wood for a while.

Comment

• Weird thing has happened to me, I have lost my appetite! What is that about? Moi? Not hungry? Hope I'm not getting sick.

Watching a boys choir called Libera. So beautiful. Nothing is as beautiful as that which does not last. Of course nothing lasts, but some things are more ephemeral than others. Makes me even sadder that my concert is over. (I'm really into this concert thing.)

Comment

• Yesterday when I was out on my snowshoeing adventure I noticed a bird fluttering around in the barn. I stamped over through the drifts and opened the big doors - out it flew. I didn't really think of much of it at the time but for some reason I woke up thinking about it. I don't think it knew how to get out. I wonder how long it was in there? I hope it was able to find some food and recover. I think it was a goldfinch. (They are not gold at this time of year and not so easy to identify.) This morning there was a woodpecker (downy) at my birdfeeder! Must be very hard for these birds to find food after a storm like this. The small mammals are presumably tucked away in torpor somewhere, insulated by the deep snow. I wish I had a water device with a heater for the birds. There is no power outlet on my balcony (a serious design flaw IMHO - no light or anything!) and rigging one out there would be problematic without drilling holes in the walls.

Instead of going back to sleep in the afternoon I opted to sleep really late and so I haven't been up for long. Last night landlord came out after the plow and shovelled around the garage door and a path from his house to the garage. I didn't go out and help. Feeling a bit guilty about that. I did check the exhaust from his furnace when I was out yesterday to make sure it was not blocked. (Aren't I nice?) My snow angel and the path to the woodpile is completely blocked, I will have to make a new path.

Comment

• Went out on my snowshoes again. I enjoy it more every time as I get braver. I climbed many snow 'mountains' created by snowplows - those huge piles all over. Could never climb those without snowshoes! Really fun and easy. I'm having trouble with a strap on the right one - can't figure out why it won't stay. I have to keep stopping and tightening it. Saw my landlord briefly. He asked if I knew what kind of animal made the tracks. He thought it was a moose! Actually I am flattered. To be mistaken for a moose, that is something that has never happened to me. I made a new path to the woodpile and am not worried any more about being able to get wood. It will always be possible with my snowshoes. A deer has been back there (that's no surprise, we have deer everywhere.)

Ate the turkey curry I made last night, it was delicious.
              Last edited by Siobhan; 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• I know the ads I see on many websites are driven by things I have googled and viewed, but why am I getting ads for jeri curls and 'natural' hair? The only hair site I looked at was the one with the fishtail braid a few weeks ago, and that is definitely not for a jeri curled beauty.

Getting ready to go to work. Just one night, am filling in for my co-worker who had family show up unexpectedly. Hope it is not too horridly busy. A little busy or medium busy is okay.

Comment

• I'm loving hearing of your snow shoeing adventures! The last time we had a foot of snow in my neck of the woods was probably 1971. I remember my sister and I built an igloo in the front yard! It was the end of March - and the first day of Spring break a wonderful snow storm blew in and buried everything with a foot of snow in about 4 hours. It stayed a few days and then melted away. Your ramblings in the snow are very child-like and it makes me miss being a child.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                    I'm loving hearing of your snow shoeing adventures! The last time we had a foot of snow in my neck of the woods was probably 1971. I remember my sister and I built an igloo in the front yard! It was the end of March - and the first day of Spring break a wonderful snow storm blew in and buried everything with a foot of snow in about 4 hours. It stayed a few days and then melted away. Your ramblings in the snow are very child-like and it makes me miss being a child.
                    Tomi we had a quite a bit of snow in December 2008. I remember because it was my first snow after moving back and my daughters' first time seeing snow fall. My daughter fell during that storm and had to go to the ER. I had to call one of my sisters because I hadn't driven in snow in over 25 years.

Comment

• Well, we are getting more snow tonight! I am hoping to go out on my snowshoes later on - yes, in the dark of the late night. If it is light enough I will but probably not if the clouds make it too dark. Ex used my headlamp when he was here and now I can't find it and don't feel like asking him where he might have left it. (Communication with him tends to be weird.) Although I could hang a lantern around my neck...hmmmmmm.....

A co-worker who is the closest thing I have to a friend at work gave me some lovely gifts this morning! A card with a funny picture of two cats driving a cart pulled by two more cats. A cutting board with owls on it. An ID badge holder with an owl. I love them all! Cats and owls! I gave her an ornament shaped like an owl earlier this month. (She loves owls too.) I'm so happy. I'm not afraid to say it - I love getting gifts. They don't have to be expensive. Just knowing that she picked out a card and knew I would like it is a huge gift.

Made a fab turkey soup. Used the bone broth I've had stewing away for the past 72 hours. I realized this afternoon while reading one of my mountaineering books that I need to be extra careful to stay hydrated. Soup is a good way to eat and drink at the same time. It seems like I am thirsty all of the time, yet still I don't drink! Certainly not enough. The soup is really, really good though. Fennel really adds something - it is subtle in the finished soup but so good.

I don't have to work until Friday night and I am so hoping to be able to play in the snow a lot tomorrow. I'm going to make some more snow angels and this time I will put them out of harm's way. I am so glad I bought those snow pants for $3 at the thrift shop. What a difference that makes. This time I will help with the shoveling and hopefully will not be mistaken for moose again. I wonder if Landlord is upset about the tracks? When I told a couple of people about the moose track/snowshoe thing they laughed heartily. Both people are experienced outdoorsmen and the idea that you could mistake snowshoe tracks for moose was very amusing to them.

Comment

• Yes, Marcadav - I remember that snow of 2008 ............ but back in '71 it was about a foot deep and drifts of 2-3 feet. I lived over in Dallas then, the elevation is higher and they always get lots more snow than Salem. Last week they got 6" to our measely 1/2" .
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• You have moose up that way? I think the closest moose to us would be Canada. I'd love to see a moose in the wild.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Absolutely we have moose! We are famous for our moose!

I went out and played in the snow for a good while. It is very dark; the snow is already falling. Even though it is a full moon tonight, she did not show me her beautiful face. But I could see well enough and I climbed all over the big piles of snow and up to the summer cottage and all around. I brought up a couple of armloads of firewood just because I can. I am much better at putting on the snowshoes now and got them on right and proper and they didn't slip or loosen. It is not very cold in relative terms (this morning it was below zero - F). I made sure to drink some water when I came in.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                              Yes, Marcadav - I remember that snow of 2008 ............ but back in '71 it was about a foot deep and drifts of 2-3 feet. I lived over in Dallas then, the elevation is higher and they always get lots more snow than Salem. Last week they got 6" to our measely 1/2" .
                              I remember the snow in '71.

It's the reason why I don't know how to parallel park. I was taking driver's ed at the time and too much snow was along the curb so the instructor never taught the skill.

Comment

• What a wake-up this morning! We got a LOT of snow. I mean A LOT. A foot at least. And talk about leaping out of bed at first light, full of energy - I couldn't wait to dig out the bird feeder. I shoveled off the balcony and refilled the feeder, scattering seed on the floorboards and the railings. The little birds were swooping around as I was doing this. It still isn't fully light. As soon as I finished, the plow arrived. I couldn't believe it as we don't seem to get plowed out until hours after the storm ends. I'm so glad I got the balcony cleared as that is a lot less snow I would have to shovel. (I just push it off the balcony on to the driveway and the plow takes it from there.) There are probably ten juncos, as many chickadees, and a few finches out there right now. I will have to remember to get more birdseed next shopping trip.

Having a coffee right now and mighty tasty it is too! Will probably have some soup, lounge around a little, and eventually will go out and do some shoveling and snowshoeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X