No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got off my eating schedule because of the chocolate bar and so I didn't eat anything until I got home. Was fair starved! It's a good feeling, that, because I never felt it in my CW days. Could never have gone that long without eating. Not that 8 hours is such a long time, but I did miss a regular feeding (4 AM). Made a breakfast sandwich when I got home, that really hit the spot! Too little paleo bread rounds, fried egg, sausage patty. I got these little rings that you can use to make perfectly round fried eggs and I am finding them to be very fun and also useful when I want to cook an egg in the same pan as something else.

Forgot to put magnesium oil on my feet and although I slept okay I had a bad dream and woke up with a headache. Just sayin'. I am pretty sure the headache is from dehydration. I didn't drink anything my whole shift. So I drank a couple of glasses of water and now I'm having a coffee. Love this goat milk. Trouble is I could just drink it plain and it is bloody expensive.

I'm off tonight, woo-hoo!!!! Might have a glass of wine later.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Unable to shake the headache, I put mag oil on my feet after my shower. Now it is gone. Hmmm. Coincidence? Am I addicted to mag oil? I put some on my forearms for good measure.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Just put my latest batch of stock in the fridge. This was a combination of pork chop bones and chicken bones. Very, very good tasting. Have already put the next batch on - a chicken carcass. I have found that 48-72 hours is optimal for bone broth, adding water as necessary but none during the last 24 hours. So easy in the crockpot, it is worth having just for bone broth.

Dinner was the same as last night since it was so delicious. And it was in fact just as good as last night. I know it seems I am eating a lot of paleo bread, but I'm not really. One of the nice things about this dough is that it can be rolled out ultra-thin. I mean paper-thin, see-through-it thin. And it will cook up just fine, does not fall apart, and makes a very nice tortilla or sandwich. One batch of dough lasts me about three weeks and it is just as good at the end as in the beginning.

Feeling really good, if a bit tired. Very happy about some things that happened at work last night, although HIPAA and common sense prevent me from saying more. It is raining, and the pitter patter on the skylights is very soothing. I am so happy with my weatherproofing DIY. The place feels so much better, virtually draft free, and is very warm and cozy and snug. Felines are happy and keep coming by for pats (and kisses, if you must know). Sort of revolving cat effect, as there are three of them taking turns. I thought cats were supposed to be aloof?

Comment

• I just batched up my turkey broth from Thanksgiving. I cooked it so long that the bones were crumbling into wet powder. It smelled wonderful. I'm looking forward to sampling it at the end of the week.

Comment

• It's funny how different the bones look afterwards. Sometimes bones magically transform themselves because the tendons holding them together dissolve, and you didn't even know there was a tendon there. You put in several large bones and take out a bunch of little funny-shaped bones!

Comment

• I need to give the bone broth another go. Made it once in the crockpot but only left them for 24 hours on low. It was meh. I wasn't aware I could leave them as long as 48-72 hours. Thanks ladies! I chucked in celery, carrot, bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper. What else do you suggest? Onion or any variation is out because I am allergic. Sorry, should have mentioned I used beef bones.

Comment

• FWIW, I start mine off on high and switch to low after a couple of hours (or when I think of it) but this isn't necessary. Add some cider vinegar (or white vinegar), a tablespoon or so to help leach out the minerals. Your finished broth won't taste like vinegar, I promise. I'm afraid I can't help with the ingredients, as I use only an onion and the bones. If I have veg or herbs around that are a bit long in the tooth I throw them in, but honestly I don't feel the broth comes out any better. I don't add salt until the end, often not until I am actually preparing it for immediate consumption because I add it to other stuff all of the time and it can end up too salty very easily. I know this REALLY doesn't help, but I feel the onion is critical for flavor (YIKES) and the onion skin gives a lovely golden color to the broth.

Comment

• Still raining very hard! I wonder how much we have received? A lot! Obviously it is not that cold but one result of my home being more weathertight is that I have no idea of the temperature outside.

I am still loving my new coffee and have gone from no coffee at all to two cups. I think I overdid it this morning as I am feeling a little jittery and have slight reflux - not bad but just enough to know it is there. I have mixed feelings about getting addicted to coffee again. I enjoy it a lot but it is definitely a crutch for me.

Tried to cut back on my black cohosh/Vitamin E but have started getting hot flashes again so I'm back to the twice-a-day routine.

Very tempted to make myself a fantastic pumpkin pancake paleo concoction.

Comment

• oh man I love pumpkin pancakes! Pumpkin puree, 2 eggs, splash (splash?) of cinnimon, and a couple tablespoons of coconut flour. Delicious!
                    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                    Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                    Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• Well, I did in fact make pumpkin pancakes, ultra delish. Unfortunately eating them only made me hungry. Just can't eat carbs in the morning! But once in a blue moon won't hurt. Maybe it is good to remind myself of the carb thing.

Since I have a lot of pumpkin left over, I pulled out Practical Paleo and made the pumpkin mousse. I get frustrated with these paleo/primal cookbooks as they are not properly edited. This particular recipe mentions four servings, but says nothing about what size ramekin to use or how full of batter they should be. I ended up with six generous servings and am hoping the ramekins don't overflow. We will see, they are in the oven right now. The batter was delicious.

Comment

• Okay, a little rant here. My landlord's car, which is housed in the garage below my apartment along with my own car, has been difficult to start for some time. It needs a new battery or a new starter or both. So starting it involves a lot of revving. Seriously annoying. And then there is the extreme door slamming. I mean, the whole building shakes! I can see once in a while the door might slam - wind and whatnot - but he slams it REALLY hard every time. How can he not know how annoying this stuff is?

Okay, rant is over. If this is the worst problem in my life I am extremely fortunate.

Comment

• For all my snarkiness the pumpkin mousse turned out great. Really delicious and could easily be served up to non-paleo folks who would never know it is 'paleo food.' Would be great with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Extremely easy recipe except for the vague bits.

Comment

• Thanks for the info on the broth. I didn't know about adding the vinegar! Will do that for sure. It is a challenge to cook without onion as it's in most savory recipes in one form or another but I will keep trying. Yum to pumpkin anything!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                              Okay, a little rant here. My landlord's car, which is housed in the garage below my apartment along with my own car, has been difficult to start for some time. It needs a new battery or a new starter or both. So starting it involves a lot of revving. Seriously annoying. And then there is the extreme door slamming. I mean, the whole building shakes! I can see once in a while the door might slam - wind and whatnot - but he slams it REALLY hard every time. How can he not know how annoying this stuff is?

Okay, rant is over. If this is the worst problem in my life I am extremely fortunate.
                              Especially since he knows you work nights.. hmmm, that guy really irks me.

Comment

• ask him if he could install sound dampening tiles to the ceiling of the garage? Its worth a shot.
                                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion
                                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Working...
                                X