No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good grief. Last US Thanksgiving, I was on a training flight and spent Thanksgiving night just outside of New Orleans. The strip mall near our hotel was open after dinner that evening. Here, Thursday is a normal workday, so they're just tagging along on the Friday sale thing, with early mall and store openings Friday morning. Idiots. Like I want to be in the mall at 7 am before work...
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Just to show how out of touch with mainstream society I am, I have never understood or participated in the Black Friday thing. Shopping with hordes of people is my idea of Hell. Yeah, some great deals, but usually not any better than you can get any other time. But then my family stopped giving gifts years ago and I just have a few things to get - just my mom and a few trinkets for friends. And I already have those. I have no interest in the latest electronica or toys that you absolutely have to get for your kids or they will call DSS. Of course I already know that I am weird. And here where I live, even the grocery store is closed today.

Here in Maine we have a rather quaint custom of 'Early Bird' sales. Each community picks a weekend so as not to compete and they make a party-like atmosphere, opening at 6 AM with music, coffee, street painting, contests, bed races etc. Usually the sales are different each hour, the best ones being early. These are all small local shops, not chains. Also you get more off if you wear your pajamas. I attended the one in the town where I work as I was passing through anyway on my way home from work. It was not much fun after working all night! But it is good for the local merchants and good for the community.

Of course this has nothing to do with Black Friday!

Woke up very early this morning to find it has become much colder but is sunny and pretty. Extra pleased with my weatherproofing. I got a new suet holder and put it out last night, but the birds haven't come yet. The felines are still watching avidly. They must see something that I don't.

A few months ago I was relieved to cure my hot flashes with an herbal blend and Vitamin E, but the herbal blend became unavailable. I stuck with the Vitamin E, which helped somewhat. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try Oregon's Wild Harvest Black Cohosh after doing a little research. It has worked a treat. I take BH and Vit E twice a day for a total of 600 mg and 800 mg. My hot flashes are completely gone. If I forget to take the supplements, however, they return almost immediately. (It is pretty easy to forget to take them when I have no symptoms.) It is so wonderful to be hot flash-free!

Woke up very early this morning very hungry! Made a treat for myself - a breakfast sandwich with paleo bread, an egg, and a sausage patty. Nom nom nom nom.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I only did Black Friday twice and it was for the mentioned electronics. I don't even shop on tax free school weekend. I prefer to shop on-line!
        Last edited by Pedidoc; 11-28-2013, 07:51 AM.
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I shouldn't say I have no interest in electronics, as a matter of fact if someone wants to give me an iPad or an iPhone I will happily accept them. But there will be no Black Friday or any other day of shopping for them.

Just fixed a leaky faucet by putting in a new washer. I'm torn between being pleased with myself and thinking, "Duh, why didn't I do that ages ago?"

The birdies are back at the feeder and they seem quite thankful!

I sprinkled catnip all over the floor for the carnivores and they reacted in the predictable manner. I just looked over and BW Cat is entirely covered in green, Oboe is asleep on his back with his paws in the air, and Slim Cat is cradling a large catnip banana toy. Looks like the aftermath of a wild feline bachelor party.
          Last edited by Siobhan; 11-28-2013, 05:44 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Here I am at work. The chef made me CUSTARD. I ate a huge pile of it. Feeling a little sick, but it's worth it.

Comment

• Custard? What kind of custard . Heheheheh.

I had a good laugh at your vision of a post feline bachelor party crash. I remember when I had cats how they'd get so totally strung out on the catnip and then pretty much pass out.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Yeah, it was like 'Dirty Dancing - Havanna Nights.' tumblr_lyt88oZLCj1qfuf6io1_500.jpg
                No shame whatsoever.

Comment

• Good grief! That must have been some hella strong catnip .
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Interested to see you have a white leather sofa. We need to get new sofas some time in the coming year, and I am considering white for the first time. (One of the benefits: black dachshunds will show up better on them. ) Do you like them? Are they not too hard to keep presentable?

And...how does your cat DO that? Are you sure the head is still attached?

Comment

• LOL I think your cat is missing a spine. Slinky cat

Comment

• It's not my cat or my sofa. But you would not BELIEVE what they can do!

Comment

• Well, when I'm working I don't have much to say. All is dull here but that is good. Eating is good. Still sleeping very well, and I'm getting 7 hours! I would sleep longer but I have to get up. I wonder if it is the magnesium? I am putting it on my feet before sleeping. Or maybe it is the time of the year. It is a bit disconcerting to wake up and it is almost dark!

I cleaned out my locker at work. Hadn't done that since I've been here - 3 1/2 years. And I'm a pack rat. I really admire people who can just throw stuff away. But I did, finally, and it is nice to have it tidy at least for now! I am going to try not to junk it up again.

Well, it is time to go home and none of the day shift has appeared!

Comment

• I've been using Meyenberg Goat Milk lately because the local goats have kidded and then they will be dried off. I googled it and nearly died laughing. The paleo/organic/local food folks - and I love them all - can be pretty dogmatic! Actually I really like the Meyenberg stuff. I made the discovery that if you shake it well it foams up beautifully and you can have a nice foam on your coffee. Also it tastes great IMHO. And I don't get headaches from it. I had a very large coffee with a generous amount of goat milk - so delicious!

This afternoon when I woke up I was starving and wanted something really nice. Baked up two paleo tortillas. Sauteed some onions, added lots of bone broth, reduced it down, added some curry sauce and chicken. Then I put the chicken into the tortilla with avocado. That really hit the spot. I will be making this again!

Comment

• Sio, ck your mail, pls.

Comment

• Thanks, Judy!

Eating has been very good except for the chocolate bar I ate! Two servings my dusty white hine.

Comment

Working...
                                X