No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woke up today to SNOW!!!!!! Kinda ironic since I had an appointment to get the studs on my car. It was pretty funny to sit and listen to the poor guys answer the never-ending ringing telephone. "Not today, our first available appointment is Saturday...sorry...sorry..." I was pretty happy that for once I had some foresight and got an appointment before it was too late.

But it is not much of a snowfall, just a dusting really. Very pretty and not very cold. After the tires I got some weatherproofing materials for my home. Lots of cool things available, and I am very happy that everything is very easy to use and seems like it will be very effective.

Breakfast was mineral water, coffee, and bone broth with an egg yolk. However, there was no business to be done, if you know what I mean. Felt a bit uncomfortable. After shopping, I was really hungry and so I went to the food co-op and had two meatballs and a piece of tandori chicken which livened me right up. Got home in time for the business, luckily.

Well, back to my winterizing!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I am well chuffed! My French doors are now so well sealed that I can stand right next to them and not feel any cold, yet I can still easily open them and get out onto my balcony. The view is almost unimpeded, just a slight waviness, none of the modifications show. And the cost was less than $20. In fact it was actually less than $10 because I don't actually need the draft stopper things for the bottom. I think I will move them to a window. Also I have hung a sheet of plastic at the bottom of the stairs where a huge draft was coming in. It does not look horrible and in any case it isn't visible unless you look down the stairs. This small investment will pay off big in heating cost savings and just in sheer comfort. Also I have a lot of satisfaction in figuring this out and doing it all myself.
      Last edited by Siobhan; 11-26-2013, 02:27 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Nice going! toasty warm winter at your house!
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Hooray for being self sufficient. For me, I'm quite happy to have a handy man sort of hubby who just takes care of things automatically. I don't even have to think about it. If it were just me, I'd have a hell of a learning curve. Hats off to you .
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Last night a terrific storm blew in and so I am even more pleased with myself because the formerly leaky-like-a-sieve French doors are snug as a bug in a rug, as they say. The howling winds aren't nearly so howling as they were. And the bathroom is about 10 degrees warmer. However, pride goeth before a fall - this morning I woke up to the sound of dripping...the roof is leaking...yes, in the same place as before. It dripped vigorously for about 15 minutes and then miraculously stopped. Hmmmm. Actually the real miracle is that it is in the 50's. If this were snow we'd be in deep trouble. But it is rain.

Glad to have a day to kick back a bit. Nothing to really worry about, although I am sure I could come up with something if I thought hard. But no thinking today!

Am cutting way back on dessert-like things. I weigh 139 and am not terribly happy about that. I was flirting with the 120's for awhile and here I am heading back to a number I don't want to think about. I know why my weight has climbed - too many primal treats. Too much fruit, too much honey, too much chocolate, dark though it may be.

Still working on my slow motion weight training. Still using pansy weights and working on learning the routine. Am getting DOMS in strange new places as I work on different things. Now that it is winter firewood carrying has been added to the movement agenda. This is not an inconsiderable exercise as the firewood must be carried up a small steep hill and then up stairs. Also it has to be stacked at the beginning of the journey and at the end. Firewood indeed warms you many times! The landlord obtained three oak trees that had to be cut down because of power lines. They aren't ready this year of course but next year we are all set. We still have lots of wood this year from the trees he pulled out of the water - they burn fantastically well. No wood shortages here. He loves to cut wood. Men and chain saws! And splitters! He has been splitting the wood down to fit into my smaller stove.

Started the day with the usual mineral water and my now-usual coffee with goat milk. Haven't eaten yet. Am hungry but don't feel like fixing anything.

When I got the tires on yesterday they told me one of my wheels is quite badly bent. They have a guy who straightens them instead of buying a new one. I wish they had showed me the wheel before putting the tire on. But I had noticed a shimmy. Just can't quite figure out how I bent a wheel without knowing it, especially a rear one.

Comment

• Ended up going to the pool, thinking it would be deserted on this very rainy day before a holiday - was I wrong! Lots of people there. Did some grocery shopping. Managed to spend a lot of money. The spicy meatballs and tandoori chicken yesterday gave me an idea. I put some chicken in the slow cooker, just with some broth. When it is done, I'm going to put Madras curry sauce all over it and let it sit for awhile, then put it in a really hot oven for 10-15 minutes, long enough to really brown the outside but not dry it out. Then I will eat it with more sauce. Basically I'm marinating it after I cook it. I have mango for dessert.

Snared a natural rotisserie chicken - yes this is a lot of chicken, I'm on a kick - and had the drums and wings with a bowl of leafy greens for lunch.

It is pouring, pouring, and the wind is blowing, but my winterizing has made the place very snug. I feel a bit foolish that I didn't fix the French doors last year.

The poor little birds are eating at the feeder in this monsoon. Chickadees and juncos, they stay all year. So little! I put some suet out and they are all over it.

Comment

• The chicken breasts turned out great - 3 hrs on high in the slow cooker and they were juicy, falling apart, luscious. Could definitely have eaten them plain with no complaints. But I tossed them in the sauce and put them in the oven for 8 minutes - very, very good. Also a large bowl of leafy greens. I have lots of chicken left, it is going to be chicken, chicken, and more chicken for awhile. I have a huge sweet potato in the oven - the last of the local produce. Also eyeing an acorn squash that needs to be dealt with.

Looking forward to a TV night, which I don't do very often. PBS is showing three hours of animal/nature shows, all of which I have seen. But I will watch them again. Up tonight: turkeys, ducks, and deer.

Comment

• Bottled up the booch - I've been better about letting it go too long. It seems to ferment just fine even though it is definitely not summer. But my kitchen is plenty warm! Too warm! Between cooking and the woodstove, it was almost....90 degrees...yes, I closed up the woodstove and opened the windows.

Some bottles got ginger and lemon zest and some got orange zest. I'm kind of on an orange kick lately. The good stuff is starting to show up in the market.

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Here is my offering: 25 Little Known Facts About Thanksgiving - mental_floss on YouTube (Ep. 36) - YouTube

Yes, I am a supergeek, but you knew that. Hey, I'm gonna steal his signoff!

Comment

• We Americans wish EVERYONE a Happy Thanksgiving even if they don't know/could care less!

Comment

• Yah, I think we have pretty well exported our holiday!

Comment

• Pretty much. Apparently Black Friday now happens in Canada too. O_o
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• What about brown Thursday?
                            Female 55
                            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                              What about brown Thursday?
                              Um, what? Apparently not...
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                                Um, what? Apparently not...
                                New term......stores are opening on thanksgiving now.
                                Female 55
                                Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                                Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

Working...
                                X