No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another note on the lamb, I don't know the guy you quoted as saying the US lamb was ok - we live right near the feedlots where there are thousands upon thousands of sheep all mired in poop. I have read other sources talking about the terrible quality of non grass fed lamb in the US as they are fed foods that are highly inappropriate for a sheep. I do know that we live near some of the heaviest concentration of lamb feedlots and there is no way I will eat lamb from the US unless I know it was raised on grass - and then it is even more expensive. If buying lamb here it is best to look for lamb from New Zealand as they don't do feedlots .... from what I have read. FWIW - just my thoughts on the sheep especially as you have been told that the lamb here is good
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• That is terrible, Coll! I only eat the local stuff, which is all family farm, or from New Zealand. We don't have any other kind available, at least that I have seen. But it is all $18-$20 a pound, yikes. So sad that apparently lambs can't be raised well without ending up costing a fortune. I've always found it weird that if you go to a restaurant around here, lobster is $25 when I know perfectly well the fishermen are getting $3 a pound.

It has always seemed to me that lamb should be a very good source of meat - sheep don't eat as much as cows and they often have twins. And lamb is a total nose to tail animal. But I'm not a farmer, I don't know anything.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
        I love Earl Grey so much.
        Did u read Mark's post on meditating?
        I always considered my bible reading each morning as meditating,
        but, for about a month now, I've done 30 minutes of yoga and meditation upon rising.
        It has been so wonderful..
        I've concentrated on the positive things in our world instead of worrying about all of the problems.
        Then I dunk my face in a bowl of ice water!! Eye opening, Sio.
        I did read that post and enjoyed it very much! I have been meditating for years, although I don't do it as much a regimen as just fitting it in whenever I can. It seems to me that it is a natural progression from prayer, although I know many people don't feel this way.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• And Earl Grey is the best!

Saw this link on ecks's journal - Fat Head Followup - YouTube. Be sure to watch it! I actually cried a little. Seeing him on his own farm, his daughters growing up so healthy and strong - it makes me really happy.

Am on a bit of an egg eating binge. Had two eggs with some beef stew this morning and just had a three-egg omelet with some bacon. After having a meal before midnight, I didn't eat again at work and when I got home at 7:30 AM I was starved. Slept great with a full tummy.

Comment

• Due to my slow cooker work hijinks, I have more food after my work days than I did before. Awesome! The second batch of beef stew was better. Secret ingredient: tarragon.

Went to the pool and had a great swim and long sauna and shower. Too long. I was very overheated.

Comment

• Today has been fun. Woke up really early, which was a bit of a pain. Spent some time cooking and bottling kombucha. Have faced the fact that I have some in the fridge which is just too acidic to drink. It hurts my tummy. But I still have plenty. Discarding a batch or two is no big deal - it costs only pennies. I need to concentrate on quality and not quantity. I like lemon and ginger (thank you, Greensprout) and so I made a slurry of meyer lemon juice, zest, ginger, and a little sugar.

Went to see Tosca - the Met live simulcast. Was really terrific. I didn't check with my opera-going friends because I didn't think any of them were interested, but in fact I met up with one in the lobby so it was fun to have a bud.

Came home and had two ground beef patties with paleo bread. Really, really, good. I mean really good! Except that I am sorry to report that the local grass-fed ground beef that I purchased for (gulp) $9/lb. is not nearly as good as the Australian grass-fed ground beef I get for $6/lb. at the regular grocery. Not even close. It is kind of blah and the texture is weird. The Australian stuff is very beefy, like eating a really tender steak, and has a nice dense texture that doesn't lose much volume when it cooks. Just sayin'.

Also had a large bowl of leafy greens with hemp seeds and dulce. Very nice combo. I haven't really talked about hemp seeds, but I have been eating them pretty regularly for awhile. They are, like all seeds, high in PUFAs, but they are quite high in protein and have a decent (for seeds) Omega 3/6 ratio. And no, they do not contain THC. They are from Canada and are a very reputable brand. I like the texture - they are tiny and chewy and I eat them on bananas pretty regularly. They are primal approved, if that matters to you.

Am listening to my favorite jazz program and planning on some serious relaxation. No housework tonight.

Comment

• You're most welcome for the lemon ginger idea. It's amazing. I found meyer lemons at Costco yesterday, so they will go in the batch likely due for bottling tomorrow. Yum. Might take your thought and include some zest. I wonder how lemongrass would be i the booch? And I was wondering, are you using all black tea, or a green/black combo, or something else entirely?
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I think lemongrass would be spectacular, I don't know why I didn't think of it! So far I have only used black tea but I keep meaning to buy some green tea. Since I have a mind like a sieve, I haven't done it yet as I get to the grocery store and entirely forget everything. I think a black/green mix would be excellent. It is my understanding that a majority of black tea is best for the mix as it provides the proper nutrition for the mother. I have added raspberry herb tea, but only after the initial fermentation period.

Comment

• Went swimming, pool was jammed! It was okay, though. Stopped at the grocery store for one or two things and walked out with $75 worth of groceries. So easy to do! I put some sriracha and hot sauce all over some chicken drumsticks and popped them in the crockpot. I was thinking that when they are done I will put them in a really hot oven for 15 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. Also have a little steak and some lamb chops. Sunday is a good day for meat sales! Also got a big bag of red bell peppers for $2. I have already roasted them.

Very gloomy, overcast day. A bit chilly but not unseasonal. Got the woodstove ready to go.

Comment

• Had a very nice dinner. Big salad with lots of interesting things - roasted red peppers, cucumber, avocado, dulse, onion, and leafy greens of course. Accompanied by a lovely steak and a glass of red wine.

Chicken drumsticks are all cooked and in the refrigerator. The crisping will occur before I eat them. Not all at once, of course.

Well, nothing else interesting to mention.

Comment

• Good morning on this lovely Veterans Day. Slept great and woke up hungry. I've gotten in the habit of drinking a glass of water with mineral drops and some lemon upon arising. I think I probably would absorb the minerals better with food, but as you can probably guess I get another effect that is not unpleasing. It's nice to get the business over and done with first thing. After my trip to the grocery yesterday I have found myself with a rather stupid amount of food. I think I will take some of the chicken legs to work and put them in the freezer there. I prepped the beef stew and it is ready for the slow cooker.

Gave myself a thorough and much-needed pedicure. Not so much the ten pretty little red semi-circles but lots of major buffing and trimming and sanding. Just another thing that happens when you get old - your feet get horny. I mean literally. And feet tell a great deal about a person's health and hygiene.

Pool is closed today but I really need to get outdoors anyway. A long walk is in order.

Comment

• The Gluten Summit is here! Michael Marsh, MD, DSC, FRCP: The Gluten Summit. You might want to skip to 1 hr 8 min when Dr. Marsh states that beer is okay!

Comment

• The chicken legs turned out great! Also, I created a very gelatinous spicy broth as a byproduct. I put a couple of drums in the oven at 450 F for 15 minutes and they were perfect - very, very tender, warm all the way through and crispy skin on the outside. (This is after three hours on high in the crockpot yesterday.)

Thoroughly cleaned my grubby bathroom and tackled the living room, although I would not use the word "thorough" to describe my cleaning efforts. It is, however, less embarrassing.

Comment

• Had a piece of gluten-free carrot cake. D@mn that bakery!

Comment

• Isn't it funny how we blame the people/entity who lay the goodies before us?
                                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion
                                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Working...
                                X