No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this is my imagination, but my fingernails grow so fast I can't keep up with them.

Didn't mean to do a lot of cooking today but I guess I did. Made up a double batch of paleo bread dough and put it in the fridge. Defatted the bone broth and divvied it up. Had chicken and avocado for dinner. Hmmm, that doesn't sound like much cooking at all. Lots of washing up though!

I'm watching Skyfall for the twentieth time. Daniel Craig has just about the most amazing body ever. Is he half leopard?

The food presentation in the Real Food Con today was especially lame. A juicer? Really? No, actually I never actually did wonder to do with my fruit pulp. I normally consume it when I eat the fruit. She also uses a big food processor and a blender that is maybe ten times more powerful than mine. And she has the obligatory massive waves of hair all over. Sorry, I'm not eating anything from her kitchen. She probably lets her cats walk on the counter.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I am with you on the waves of hair and cleavage falling all over the place No thanks! I tried watching some of the podcasts that you had links to, but I guess you have to pay to get on to listen once the initial listening period is over?
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
        Sorry, I'm not eating anything from her kitchen.

HAHAHAHAHAH

I agree with your assessment. However, the sweet potato bacon latke sounded great, I may try that out. In my own kitchen, thank you very much.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Hah! Despite all of my snarky comments, I really enjoyed the whole Real Food Con and I can't believe I listened to all of it, some of it twice. I hope Sean replays the thyroid presentation, although I took copious notes. Each group is only available for 24 hours for free. Sunday is replay day, I think he picks the most popular four or something like that. Virtually all of the presenters are clearly very intelligent and reasoned people, and it makes me happy that such people are working to get everyone to eat REAL FOOD.

RE: the thyroid presentation. Although I just got a clean bill of health, I didn't have extensive thyroid testing and for some reason I am wondering about it. I guess because I feel it is underappreciated by everyone, including mainstream health providers. Orecchio says your temp on waking s/b > 97.4. I've taken my temp every day on waking (well, for me what passes as waking) and it has been 97.2 - 96.4. My resting pulse is in the low 50's. But this has always been so. I'm not going to run back to the doctor and ask for more tests, but I think I will keep an eye on this. I've always been on the 'low side' of everything - in fact when I was in school the nursing instructors used to borrow me for vitals. My blood pressure was routinely in the 90s with a low heart rate (frequently below 60) and temp in the 97s. They liked to test the students on someone who fell outside the norms. I used to think this was pretty cool but now I would rather just be normal. Not that it really makes any difference. But it surely won't hurt anything to follow some of her recommendations for diet. I have bought some dulce and am enjoying putting it on everything, and the epsom salt foot bath is really nice also.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Well, my beef stock is a bust - what a disappointment! It is not gelatinous at all, it is watery and tasteless. Tried to make egg drop soup this morning and it was horrible, despite boiling down the stock. Maybe I need to cook it at a higher temp? I had it on low, which is what the manufacturer recommends. Will try something different next time.

Comment

• Breakfast turned out to be a fried egg on a bed of leafy greens with evoo and balsamic vinegar, one of my favorite meals for some odd reason.

Didn't go swimming this morning, not sure why not. I need to move around because the opera is this afternoon and too much sitting is not good.

Comment

• Funny Siobhan, I have always had a low waking temp and my pulse rate has always been pretty low and my bp has also usually been pretty low. I never associated it with thyroid issues and even now the basic thyroid screening the doc did showed that my thyroid is fine. However, he believes my symptoms are thyroid and adrenal related so is treating it as if I have thyroid issues. I do hope they replay the thyroid talk as I would love to hear it...

Take a nice walk instead of your swim and breathe deep of the air that is chlorine free and enjoy your opera this afternoon! Sounds lovely, I hope the opera is really good!
                Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                Primal low: 186 lbs
                Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I left an assignment for you on Pebbles thread. Due date: Halloween.

Comment

• Am leaning towards normavita.

Comment

• Ended up working until midnight due to a coworkers illness. She gets migraines. Am dying to talk to her about giving up grains but of course I can't.

The final day of Real Food Con was pretty spectacular! Nora Gedgaudas is brilliant. Listened to her talk twice.

Here are the encores: Real Food Con Event | Real Food Con. And yes, the thyroid talk is there. Must listen again and take even more copious notes. My HR was in the mid-60's this morning and temp was 97.6, woot! Did that have something to do with my going to sleep at 1:30 AM and waking at 9:30 AM?

Put some highlights in my hair and am very pleased with the result. Cost: $10.

Comment

• You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• That is one of the things Nora G. talked about in her presentation. She had a patient with all sorts of troubles, and when she spoke frankly to her about her diet, the woman went ballistic, totally denying that diet had anything to do with her problems. You know, I loved bread and pasta as much as anyone...now I love other things more.

Went to see Hamlet with two friends. It was terrific. Loved it! I wish I could see it again.

Got a big bag of par-cooked organic root veg from a local farm. Turnips, carrots, rutabagas. I roasted them for awhile with spices, then made a sort of hash with chicken and poached an egg in it. Turned out very well to my surprise.

It was painful, but I discarded the beef broth. It just didn't taste good and it was not even slightly gelatinous. Perhaps I need a higher temp to extract the good stuff from those big beef bones? I will try it next time. And tonight I am putting some chicken bones in the crockpot.

Have got no exercise today or yesterday!

Comment

• I've done some beef and bison stock that was pretty meh for flavour. It got better once reduced and seasoned. But still sort of meh. Not sure why some batches turn out that way. I've been powering through my turkey broth, so time to throw in some beef bones in the pressure cooker this week. I do find that when I take the time to roast the bones first, it does taste nicer, but it only happens less than half the time for me.
                            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• It's funny, my chicken and turkey stock always turns out well. Don't know why the beef stock is meh. Maybe I should mix up the bones? I seriously think regular consumption of bone broth is the single best thing I have done or can continue to do for my health. I always think about roasting the bones, but does it get done? No.

Comment

• Slept well and woke up with a temp of 96.2 and a HR of 50. What's up with that? I need to stop taking my vitals, I'm borrowing trouble.

All the chores are done today and I am off to the pool, where hopefully I will have a nice swim and nothing weird will happen. I am working tonight and also hoping for no weirdness there either. Just not wanting any weirdness is my goal recently.

For breakfast had the last of my good bone broth, an egg yolk, and coconut oil. The new batch will be ready later today.

Woke up with a slight headache which is still with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X