No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Siobhan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure this link will work, (and it is only good for 24 hours) but there is a lot of good info here about the thyroid and other stuff too: https://realfoodcon.com/christa-orecchio/. I really like her take on making changes in your life. Add in the good stuff and the bad stuff will fall away. Instead of approaching changes as "I have to give this up, I have to deprive myself," take it from a positive perspective.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Just finishing up Abel James's presentation, really good stuff. A lot of this is familiar territory to experienced primal/paleo folk, but it seems there is always one takeaway - and the takeaway here is to experiment and do what works for you, even if it against either CW or paleo thinking. For instance, olive oil may not agree with you. If you're not completely happy with your diet and looking for tweaks, look at EVERYTHING even if it is something that is universally considered good.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Had a good day. Went swimming - the Y is open on Sunday now. Woot! Did some sprinting. It's really fun to do HIIT in the pool but it is a little scary when the inevitable nausea kicks in. I've never pushed myself so hard that I actually puke but no way am I going to do it in the pool. Went for a long walk also and threw in a bit of jogging. I break into a run when I'm going uphill. My theory is that when I run uphill I automatically run more on the front of my feet, and this will keep me from heel striking. I'm just wearing my Merrill Pace Gloves or my cheapo sneaks with very thin soles.

Dinner was paleo pizza piled with onions and olives (my fave combo from way back), tomato sauce, very little cheese. Also made some baba ganoush since I have been craving it for awhile. Ate that with bell peppers. Nom nom nom.

Listened to all of the Underground Wellness shows, even the pregnancy one. It was really interesting even though that is not an option and obviously I am not raising kids. To some extent, nutrition is nutrition.

Comment

• I listened to 3 of them, still have the duck cooking podcast left. I'm surely not interested in more kids either, but some interesting stuff there. Whenever I've listened to similar podcasts about this stuff, I have many regrets about how I fed my kids when they were small. I did what I thought was the best at the time, but now I know better. As with everything in life, I suppose.
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• So true, if I knew then what I know now...

I watched the duck cooking but didn't get inspired by it, don't know why. I should make my own chopped liver, but I don't see myself doing that any time soon.

Although my thyroid is completely normal (I just had it checked and I have no symptoms) I was very interested in that video. It's one of those things can happen to anyone at any time, although I don't lose sleep over it. But I know that it can go undiagnosed for a long time and then unraveling the problems can take years. I think a fair number of people here on the forum may have thyroid problems and things like IF and VLC are totally wrong for them. Something for me to keep in mind when I am doling out advice.

I often thank my lucky stars that I've never had the will or the willpower to do extreme dieting or deprive myself of anything for very long. I think my lack of willpower is the only thing that has kept me relatively healthy all these years. I saw my sisters and friends starve themselves, take diet pills, extreme fasting, low-calorie, bulemia, etc. over the years. My college roommate tried in vain to teach me to make myself throw up - I never could do that. Still can't. Whenever I tried to be vegetarian or vegan or diet I would end up snarfing down a big steak with all the sides.

Last night Oboe brought me an offering of grass that he pulled out of the flat I grow for the cats. I woke up with a big bunch of grass in front of my face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
              I often thank my lucky stars that I've never had the will or the willpower to do extreme dieting or deprive myself of anything for very long. I think my lack of willpower is the only thing that has kept me relatively healthy all these years.

Comment

• Breakfast this morning was bone broth with coconut oil and an egg yolk. Surprisingly tasty! Also, it was liberally salted with pink Himalayan. My takeaway from the thyroid talk is that I'm going to eat more often, particularly on work days/nights. I think it will be better to plan on three meals and two snacks instead of 1)suffering and sitting around wishing I could eat and 2)being tired and cranky. My eating at work needs serious work, as that is the time that I fight the sugar dragon. Although I never eat grains, beans, or legumes, there is still plenty of room for trouble. Better to plan. One big meal, two small meals, two snacks. That will work.

Comment

• Bought a tracfone for $10 at the dollar store! And got 140 minutes/6 mos. for $20. So far I like it a lot! Super easy to use and to set up. Very light and small. Even has a couple of nice features that my other phone doesn't have, like a setting so the phone won't ring but the alarm will go off. Came with a nice little case that fits well in my handbag so it won't make calls on its own. Has an easy-to-use stopwatch. It is small and light enough that I can carry it at work, not for talking but in case of emergency. And yes, there have been times when I wished I had my cell on me.

Stress level is better - this morning resolved some things. Not the BIG Thing but the Medium Thing.

Huge score at the thrift shop. Got a long black skirt for choir for $2. Snow pants, very nice ones, for $3. Nice short furry lined boots for $4. New PJ pants for $2.

Okay, moving on to gross things. Wart is gone and foot is looking great. Virtually all healed. On the BM front, all is not well. Things are moving but have gone in the opposite direction. Hoping for normalization in the next few days. Yesterday I was looking at my supplements lined up on the table and realized I have mineral drops...magnesium...yep, that'll do it.

Eating is good today. I didn't realize that bone broth with an egg yolk in it is so delicious. That could be breakfast all of the time.

Comment

• Went to the pool and had a bad experience, but I'm not going to detail it here. Will just say I sent an email to the pool director. I hope something changes.

Also had a long walk and made my 10,000 steps and also enjoyed a gorgeous sunset, perfect end to a beautiful day. It was all so lovely - the sea and the sun and the trees.

I'm going to send back my FitBit. It is just too wonky. I will wait until the new one comes out and try again. It definitely increases my activity, no doubt about it. I'm just tired of waking up and finding it is dead when it was fully charged the night before.

I know I shouldn't say this, I'm pretty much as good a cook as the people I see on the internet.

My new favorite dessert: A banana, couple spoonfuls of coconut milk, hemp seed, honey.

Comment

• I don't crave bread at all, but this pic made my heart beat faster:

220px-Fougasse_de_Foix.jpg

It is french bread filled with bacon, gruyere, and creme fraiche.

Comment

• Hey, got spammed! I wish the spambots would come over and clean my bathroom; clearly they have a lot of time on their hands.

Breakfast was bone broth with coconut oil and an egg yolk, yum! A cup of coffee and now off to BLS (CPR) class.

Comment

• Went to BLS (CPR) class this morning and we powered through in 1 hr. 20 min. Yahoo! Did a few errands with my unexpectedly free morning. The FitBit is on its way back. Despite my less-than-stellar experience, I am not down on the device. I just want a better one. I think the new one coming out will be superior. It is going to have a little button on the side instead of the tapping thing that just doesn't work so well, and the display will be better in every way.

Went to the store and bought a lot of food for fairly cheap. I wish I could get all grass-fed organic blah blah, but I can't. I head straight for the yellow labels and enjoy the markdowns. Got some stew beef which is simmering away in my cast iron pan with the usual veg and smelling great. A whole chicken is roasting in the oven, and a big vat of bone broth courtesy of two large marrow bones is in the slow cooker. That should take care of my protein requirements for the next few days as I am working the next three nights.

Comment

• I had a disturbing experience in CPR class once. (I am sure this didn't happen with y'all, being professionals.)

It seemed as if everyone else was joking around, barely doing it, not paying attention, or practicing. I was diligent(she said, modestly) because I want to be able to DO IT, if I ever have to. Several of them made statements to the effect of, 'if I ever go down, I want Sabine working on me, not one of you yobos' but didn't seem to apply it to themselves. Made me wonder who I would want working on ME, if I keeled over. Only the instructor, I decided.

Comment

• Yeah, and why even bother to come to the class if you're not going to take it seriously? And even though I do this for a living, I always take the class as an opportunity to refresh in my mind what I would do if I had to do CPR in a non-hospital setting, i.e. on a family member or friend or even a stranger in a public place.

Comment

• As they should have told you all, you are most likely to actually use CPR on a loved one, so it is a pretty good thing to know. I totally agree it is better to learn than those moronic lectures that make everyone roll their eyes.

A few years ago my mom was having some health issues, and I spent a few minutes thinking about what I would do if...you know...happened while I was there. Being a professional, I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't do everything perfectly. But it is really different doing it by yourself in a home and doing it as part of a team in an ER.

Watching Sean Croxton's FoodCon. Finding the food prep videos to be high camp. Got to admit that it is kinda cute to see people who aren't professionals doing this stuff. I keep waiting for someone to chop their finger off, or at least to draw a fair amount of blood. (Yeah, I'm being snarky.)

Comment

Working...
                                X